Drop in water temp after 1st fix (plumbing)

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 4th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

We started the renovation of my bathroom but since the plumber did he 1st fix (shower mixer and new bath taps), we noticed that the water in the house has been significantly cooler.

Initially i thought it was the HWS, but the water in there is about 55 deg. The Kitchen tap (closest to the HWS)only gets to 39 deg, laundry 35 deg, our ensuite is 32 deg. It seems the further away from the HWS, the cooler the water is.

Could this be related to the 1st fix the plumber did?

Cheers,
    Robbie

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have you adjusted the thermostat on the hws? Give that a go to increase the temp

how do you know it's at 55?

3. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Is there insulation on the pipes?

4. robbie_p

Nope, I have no touched the thermostat. I released some water out the HWS and it was 55-57, which is what it should be. I used a meat thermometer.

I'm not sure if there if there is insulation in pipes, but they were the same pipes which were used a few days ago, nothing has changed.

I spoke to another plumber, who when i mentioned the issue, he asked me straight away if I'm busy renovating a bathroom and installing new mixers.. apparently, although the new mixers are plugged up, if they are "on" they can draw hot water, affecting hot water in other areas of the house.

5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Maybe just check the level of water in the hot water system,because if it was working before then everything will be the same ..

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You will lose temp from hws to taps. Adjust the thermostat and get your desired temp at the taps.

I'm not familiar with the mixers, but if it was a cheapie and didn't isolate hot from cold properly that could happen but when you blast the hot it should still get hot. That problem would just increase your electricity bill most likely

7. robbie_p

I dont think there would be 20 deg loss in water temp from HWS to my ensuite, when the water temp in ensuite got really hot prior to bathroom reno.. nothing has changed in the ensuite.

8. robbie_p

Myself and the tiler briefly ran water from the shower (in bathroom being renovated), after which the the kitchen tap (closest to HWS) was boiling hot, so perhaps there is an air lock in the bathroom as water hasnt been run through some of the new pipework..

Unfortunately, my ensuite (furthest from HWS) always seem to be affected by taps being used in the rest of the house, so perhaps its just a case of allowing water to flow through the new bathroom (when its done)

9. robbie_p

Spoke to the plumber and he knew what the problem was and told me it would be resolved when we fitted the new bath taps as it had something to do with the "spindle'?

Anyways, no real issue, just a luke warm shower in summer (well almost)..