Drone Photos

Discussion in 'Development' started by Sackie, 7th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Can anyone recommend a good company in Brisbane that takes drone photography say from 9-11m heights? I have a quote from a company for $350/hour.

Thanks guys.

Whitecat likes this.
  2. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Better buy a new Drone and a Go-pro for about same $$ and start your own business ;)

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

The drone I would need to take photos with height recorded is about $900 and I really only need it for 30 mins... so If I can get a company to do it all for me with good photos for less than $300 I would consider it worth it really. :)

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

But!
    If you buy the drone now you can use it for the next 3,4,5 property you are going to build ;)

legallyblonde and bob shovel like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@EN710 I agree and its not a bad buy. The main reason I want to get it done by a company now is just for ease of convenience. I don't have time to buy it, assemble it, send to my architect to then go out on site and operate it, take photos and then get it back to me (assuming he wont charge for his time which he probably won't as I give him good business but I would still have to compensate him in some way otherwise it looks bad). I also need to do this soon and with everything else on my plate, it would become a hassle. But I think for long term, I may end up buying one later on.

Perthguy and EN710 like this.
  6. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

And @Leo2413 can offer discounts to PC members too :D

EN710 likes this.
  7. Mick Butterfield

Mick Butterfield Well-Known Member

@Leo2413 dealing with a local fella that does it for some of our properties that quote sounds about right. The insurances and licences they are having to get is quite costly for the operators in a commercial sense. My just be worth biting the bullet and saving the carry on.

Sackie likes this.
  8. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

House and Sackie like this.
  9. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

10. House

House Well-Known Member

Was thinking of doing this for some extra cash on the weekends. Planned to charge $250 each time... But $350/hr?!!

Maybe request it on Airtasker or Gumtree, might get something cheaper if you're lucky.

11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Yep. I would post the task on Airtasker. Lot's of people have them and if you offered, say, $100 I'm sure you would get someone.

12. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Remember that if you're flying for commercial reasons - ie. you accept any money or anything as payment - then the rules changes substantially. Your insurance goes up enormously. You have to be licensed by CASA and undergo serious flight training. You have to employ at least one other person as a watcher, etc. etc.

So @Leo2413 doing some photos from his own drone for his architect is one thing. Getting someone to do it for any form of remuneration, or getting a drone and offering the service to others is something completely different rule-wise (and training and $-wise).

Oh, and if you do use your own drone, you still have to comply with the rules of not flying over anyone else's house, checking with local council on even flying over the sidewalk or roads or parkland. Think about the angle of the shot you want, and in most suburban parts of a city you'll almost certainly find it will be hard to get your shot without getting explicit permission. This is even if it's your drone and not commercial! Drones have injured, even blinded, people before. Do your DD :cool:...

13. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

I say do it properly Leo. Engage a professional company that specializes in aerial photography for real estate. They will know exactly what you want as they do this day in day out with a report to match the photographs.
    If you have never flown a drone it won't be as easy as it sounds. Takes time to get used to it and also takes skill to do it for a particular purpose like the one that you have.

In addition, as mentioned already there are risks such as privacy breaches and risk of injury to yourself and others and property damage also.

Property Twins and wombat777 like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Yes getting a company for sure. I don't need the hassles and legal nonsense. The feedback in this thread has cemented my decision. Thanks all.

Mick Butterfield and Perthguy like this.
  15. LeonW

LeonW Active Member

I've used a guy a few times and reckon he's easily spent $5k on his drone and camera setup (has full gyroscopic levelling thingy etc..). Think he charged me $225, and that included some photoshopping of proposed lot boundaries. I had him do before and afters on a project last year as there was a fair bit of work involved (clearing/demolition/fencing) so it was cool to see the before and afters.
    Tony - 0417609462
    Aerial 360

Another thing worth considering if you can get your hands on a login is the nearmaps photos. In Brissy, they sometimes update aerial photos within a few weeks. Most of the time every few months. But I've had amazing nearmaps aerials showing different stages of the civil construction.

Perthguy and Sackie like this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks for the contact and tips mate! Much appreciated.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Are you only getting directly overhead, straight down on the property? If there are some nice outlooks or views (even only from way up in the air) in the area it can result in some really awesome pictures featuring them as well.

18. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No mate, We need to get it from say 3,6 and maybe 9m heights in different locations on the site facing the CBD so we know exactly what views at different heights and angles can be attained on the site. We'll then design the homes with this in mind to maximise the views from different rooms. And fingers crossed it all works out..:)

19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit too realistic - where's the false advertising like everyone else? ;)
    Do you know if it's legal to show pictures featuring the surrounds if it's not pretending to be the actual view?
    I've seen plenty, maybe different state rules.

20. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Hehe no idea ... I wouldn't try to engage in those shenanigans though. With regards to photos we're taking the public won't see them, it's purely for the architect to help maximise the design re views.

I should add its all speculative at this point re views until the drone goes up. The architect went on site and from ground level can just see the top of the buildings so it's looking good then when you go up a few meters there should be views. Just exactly what views remains to be seen. Fingers and toes crossed.

Azazel likes this.