Driverless cars and impact on inner city car parks

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by oracle, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ah Ok, in the Uber model.
    So you rent out your driverless car and it makes you money while you sit at home? Could be a glut of cars.

Last edited: 20th Aug, 2015
  2. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Its not just taxis, pretty much every service sector with routine will be automated, there is already humanoids used in healthcare, banks, shops in japan at experimental stage.

Manufacturing is already on a speedy path to automation.
    The amount of jobs created is far less then the jobs automation is taking over.

With the availability of job and corresponding movement of labor becoming very fluid across the globe, the traditional concept of owning a home may not be valid anymore think of airbnb model but for residence.

We are moving toward '#PayAsYouGo' and '#UseAsYouNeed' model rather than owning things. This would be the trend not just for software or cars, but for many many things which for now is impossible to think of.

3. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Anyone heard of Car Next Door?

This is already happening with human-driven cars. You can let someone else use your car while you don't need it (e.g. during the work day).

4. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've used it before, it's not too bad.
    If everyone was at work, and their cars were able to drive around, there might be a glut of cars on the road.
    This could also wear out my pretty roads quicker!

5. TheSackedWiggle

It won't be glut, it will be less cars sold as there would be no need for every one in family to have a dedicated car.

Last edited: 21st Aug, 2015
  6. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

I don't think the idea is for them to be buses. You will be able to book a driverless car in the same way you book a taxi. There may be a "sharing" service which picks up randoms, but I imagine the majority will operate just like taxis and hire cars do now.

Steve is right, at some point in the future it will be illegal for humans to drive cars. How long? Who knows, but it will happen and there will be a dramatic decrease in road accidents and congestion.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Illegal? Not sure about that.
    Skynet will be getting rid of all of us by then, so driving will be the least of our worries.

juzzy likes this.
  8. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Actually there are some real concerns that need to be addressed.

For instance, suppose an autonomous car is carrying a family of 4 in it. One would imagine its prime directive is to protect its occupants.

Suppose an external event (say an overturning truck) makes the car take evasive action to protect its occupants, but it detects that in taking that evasive action, it will run over 5 school children on the footpath. What does it do?

The Y-man

charttv likes this.
  9. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

What would you do if you were the driver and were put in the same situation?

If programmed and tested correctly, the car's software/computer could within split second calculate all possible options and take the option where least damage/loss of life can be achieved.

For eg. it could determine the speed at which the overturning truck could hit the car and the potential damage, but if the car turned at certain angle the impact would be much less and all lives could be saved? Humans on the other hand, might not be able to make such calculated decision when suddenly put in a situation with no time to think.

Cheers,
    Oracle.

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Probably make a stupid decision and take everyone out.........

The Y-man

11. jakc

jakc Well-Known Member

My first post, but this topic is something I have been paying a lot of attention to (work in mapping). Let me relate this back to real estate.

I believe automated cars will drastically improve congestion levels. As the manually driven car begins to be phased out, speed limits can then start to be increased, wait times at lights can be more tightly syncronised = journey times to work will decrease. Most people will factor in their commute with their choice of location for real estate. For me, I am only willing to commute for 45minutes. If the automated car comes along, that means the 45 minute catchment around my work might suddenly expand to areas far and beyond where I am currently looking. So perhaps those outer suburbs might start to become a lot more attractive after all and that inner city cramped apartment might not be as valuable as it once was?

I think the automated car will have a big impact on real estate. And honestly I am really excited to see how it pans out.

12. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I think most drivers would avoid driving into a truck to save themselves and the other occupants.

13. TheSackedWiggle

The daily commute to office concept will fade much faster then we think.
    i.e. drastically reduced premium for "closer to CBD"

Trend will shift to '#UseAsYouNeed' with '#PayAsYouGo' rather than #PayFullAndOwn

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Careful what you wish for, the government loves these pushes for extra taxes or pay as you go. It will become #PayAsYouGoAsWellAsStillPayingForEverythingElse

BlueSkyDay likes this.
  15. timetoact

Yeah watch our for Skynet!

No I reckon it will happen, it just makes sense.
    If (and it is still an "if") introducing driverless cars reduces the road toll to zero then why wouldn't it be illegal for a human, who has the potential to kill others, to drive a car?

16. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Your robot car ran out of juice in the middle of whoop whoop, medical emergency, so you need to drive your manual antique junker 2015 Audi R8 to the hospital.

17. charttv

charttv Well-Known Member

reminds me of

18. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Driverless cars will be as popular as being beamed up by Scottie.
    If you think your wife makes your sweat in the car.. Imagine nobody driving. The ONLY great thing I can envisage is sleeping in while the car drives your 5 and 7 years olds to school - You think your wife will allow that ?

19. timetoact

I would freakin love to be beamed up by scotty.
    Imagine being in London in 20 seconds instead of 20 hours, amazing!

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Nah, London's boring - too many Londoners ;)

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia