Driverless cars and impact on inner city car parks

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by oracle, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. oracle

oracle Well-Known Member

Read an interesting article today about potential impact driverless cars might have on inner city car parks say within the next 10 years.

Read full article here

Hard to imagine what's being predicted but not impossible. I guess if 10 years ago someone told me what my mobile phone would be capable of doing I would have laughed at them. So never say never.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
    Oracle.

Bargain Hunter likes this.
  2. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

There's also the decreasing rates of car ownership and licenses amongst the under 30 age group.

The purpose of strategic plan is to take in to account of changing societal trends. Not undertake reactive planning based on trends that are 20 years old.

3. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Why would there be a need for cbd? With AI hololens we can be virtually present it would be much more immersive than best conferencing and screen collaboration software available today. Service jobs with predictive routines will be thing of past. Office in traditional sense would be redundant concept.

Google has no middle mgmt, most of it is automated, there are small independent teams of enggs with technical product manager and top mgmt with veto power(Larry, brin, sunder, singhal, umeed, salar etc).

4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

This is true; however, it seems to me this is a result of that age group wanting to live in the inner city and being strapped for cash. It can cost up to $50 a day to park in the city.

If you look at the explosion of units being built in Melbourne CBD for example, you will see that they only build a fraction of the units with accompanying car parks. Surely this limit on new supply will push up demand?

This is of course not taking the article into consideration

5. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

An interesting spin on what is happening although I suspect that the uptake on driverless cars may be slower than predicted depending on entry costs.

Linking this technology with a car share system would be remarkable. Imagine being able to book and pay online and having the car pick you up, drop you off, and go off to it's next passenger with little to no demand on parking.

Live feed to traffic information would mean that the most time efficient journey may also be possible without a second thought.

Regards

Andrew

6. Beelzebub

I don't think this will happen. People will want their car near them and will pay for it to be parked near them. Just because cars are driver-less doesn't mean I want to share a ride with someone any more than I want to share a ride with someone who does drive. And I would want the security of my car near me at all times.

7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Linked to the issue of car sharing companies taking public car spaces for their own use at the moment.

8. TheSackedWiggle

Its sharing of car, not necessarily while you ride

9. TheSackedWiggle

The cost of taxi services with driver less car would be cheaper than owning a car.

10. Beelzebub

Are you sure it would be so much cheaper that you would be willing to wait for a driver-less car and be prepared to go out of your way while it picks up and drops off other random strangers? Who would be owning these cars and providing such a dirt cheap service?

In any event I would rather drive my old car than put up with that nonsense.

Will there be a market for this service? probably, and likely it will be larger than the current demand for taxis. But I believe a majority of people will still want their own car.

Right now with a driver scenario, for example, I could save money by carpooling to my workplace (there are three other people at my workplace who live near me). But I don't, because I don't want to share my commute, If I want to stop of at a servo and get something to eat I can without the others being inconvenienced. What about kids, Do I drop the kids off in the morning and do a detour while my driver-less car picks up some random guy? I don't see how a driver-less situation would drastically change these realities of car ownership.

I just don't buy it.

11. 380

380 Well-Known Member

seems like it will be driverless car Vs Self directed Drones!

12. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

This is where uber is heading.

13. TheSackedWiggle

Cost of driverless taxi ride will drop by 80% as the biggest chunk of cost 'driver' will be out, And services like uber will be at forefront.

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I wonder if driverless trucks will still drive through red lights.

15. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

try 25 years.

16. TheSackedWiggle

It may be much sooner than you think

17. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

may be indeed - but optimism is often mislaid.

18. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

I have been discussing this stuff with people pretty frequently since 2011 when Google's driverless car gained legal rights to operate on Nevada roads.

I get laughed at less and less now.

My investment properties were purchased with this in mind. They're near transport but I specifically selected apartments without car spaces.

If you keep abreast of where technology is now, and the exponential rate it is progressing (which most people fail to do–understandably, humans haven't evolved in a world of exponentials so our brains aren't equipped to properly grapple with them), you'll see that it is inevitable that we will have autonomous cars on most roads in the near future.

Look deeper into the sharing economy and you will also discover that ownership of cars per individual is an archaic concept in today's world–let alone tomorrow's.

Not to mention, it will become illegal for humans to drive cars within a couple of decades. We get tired, get hungry, make mistakes, drink alcohol, ingest drugs, get distracted, can't see every direction simultaneously, can't progress trillions of calculations per second, can't communicate with all the other cars on the road...etc.

Redom likes this.
  19. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

80% for the driver?
    Some drivers go 50/50 with the owner.
    But taxi plates are the biggest expense.

20. TheSackedWiggle

Uber model doesn't require plates, gov can collect more tax as every fare would be within system (no cash transactions), The only cost would be of the car/fuel/maintenance and gov taxes if any.

Uber instead of employing people with cars to drive them(as it does now) can use people's driver-less cars (when not in personal use).

A driver less car can become a steady income earner via Uber model.