Cars & Motorbikes Drifting - any drifters on here?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Propin, 14th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

I would be thankful that it was a car and not a motor bike ... :eek: my thoughts as the mother of 3 sons.

Last edited: 15th Feb, 2021
    Propin likes this.
  2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

At 15 Dad gave me a small Dodge truck as it wasn't roadworthy as a paddock bomb. We would drift around hay bails during summer. Dad lost a few hay bails.

Lots of fun, but looking back it was incredibly dangerous. The floor was so rotten with rust that you could see the front wheels through the holes. The tyres were completely bald which actually made it slide well. We'd do this whilst we had 2-3 mates on the back tray hanging on for dear life. Seatbelts? This was the 80's in a truck built in the 70's.

We never had an accident, but I know examples where things did go wrong. My sister had a boyfriend in high school who was killed when his paddock bomb rolled.

Propin likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

These days it's all ATVs - a kid I know recently rolled one! Got out unscathed... luckily.

The Y-man

4. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

He became interested in drifting at about 14. We're not from a racing background but took him to a few events. At the race track he came across Riccarodo's Racers courses, each course was a one day intro to racing, drifting, etc and he did all three. Being under 18 he only had the option to take up Excel Racing, so he's been doing that for the past 2 years, so we've already got the care trailer set up. My son paid for the car and modifications himself. (probably $12,000 plus) My husband and him built the race car. We bought the tralier, probably $8000. Yep, I know about the $$$ He's won heaps of awards, Top Rooky, Burson Future Star, and heaps of Trophies 2nd, 3rd, as well as coming first in a Time Challenge. (need to nominate a time to do each lap consistantly). So the next step is to get professional racing lessons if he wants to take it further, but he wants to just race for fun, and do drifting on the side for fun. (unless he changes his mind once the season starts again). He is 18 now. He has one sponsor for racing, and a few smaller sponsors that give discounts or complimentary work. He has heaps of spare tyres from racing, which he has already paid for. He got pushed into a wall at 80k's an hour late last year and had to do a complete rebuild. So I've told him I won't be watching him drift at all, nerves are already shot! Yes I'm glad it's not motor bikes, my cousin had a bad accident champion side car racing recently and just went through surgery, not good!

Last edited: 15th Feb, 2021
    Drifty and shorty like this.
  5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Where did you get this? My son would absolutely FLIP over something like this!

6. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Wanneroo Raceway, he's made up a calender of all the drift events and race events over the next few months already! He just sold his mini-car, lol.

7. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I bought mine from Japan. The brand I went with is called Yokomo. But there's a lot of brands out there.

8. Bradley Peet

Bradley Peet Well-Known Member

Wow, what a childhood, I bet he appreciates everything you have done for him!!

If that's the case, you're ready to go, it just comes down to the car. To keep it under $15,000 I'd suggest a 350z, or even an old r31 Skyline with a solid engine.

Another option is to buy a car that's already had the hard work done (let's say $30,000). Jump in and have fun :).

Very fun and it's very addictive (the cost isn't though:oops:).

Propin likes this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thank you for your help! Yes he's living the life.

10. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Relax Propin. Your son will be fine. I've had a long unnatural passion for motor vehicles, smokey tyres and driving sideways in car parks. Look at me, I've turned out OK.

o_O

Propin and Drifty like this.
  11. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Haha, thanks, you are right. At least he's at the age now that he doesn't need to go grocery shopping with me. Drifting the trolley around the isles and carpark always kept me on edge!

datto likes this.
  12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I started thinking: how do you counter steer on a trolley? Then I realised: I'm getting way too absorbed in this conversation.

Propin likes this.
  13. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Haha, you'll have to give it a go

14. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh gosh, done deal now 42F9AD8C-DB0B-4F49-B7D6-EB594C149504.jpeg

Lindsay_W, Drifty, Blueskies and 2 others like this.
  15. bbmick

bbmick Well-Known Member

It's a good starter drift car.

This is my son's from a couple years ago - he's sold it since & then started doing up a Hyundai Excel class - but just purchased his first house @ 23yo & don't see him getting to compete for a while.
    IMG20180730134031_cropped.jpg

Propin likes this.
  16. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Such a neat car! Is he planning on doing Excel Racing? Which state?

17. Drifty

Drifty Well-Known Member

Hahah this is great. Nice R31!

I was going to suggest skidpan, rally or even indoor gokarts (can go to tracks specifically for drifting and they are FUN) - but it seems he has already jumped in with both feet!
    Wish him all the best and dont forget to upload videos for us.

Propin likes this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Drifter?

upload_2021-3-10_11-21-5.png

Propin likes this.
  19. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thank you!! Yes he’s no slouch! He did his first drift event on Saturday at Wanneroo Raceway, then Drift School on Sunday! He’s having fun!

Lindsay_W likes this.
  20. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Thanks heaps for the encouragement also! It’s quite a different environment being thrown into this not being from a racing/drifting background in the past but so much positive encouragement in this field of sport. I’ll check with my son what I can post.