Dream house or investment block

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by ATANG, 1st Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

If you only have this budget, which allows to only go for one shot, which would would you choose?

* Buy a dream house in your dream suburb but with smaller block of land (prob less than 400sqm)
    * Buy an investment block in outer, growing suburb, with big size of block and very old interior (over 800sqm)

Reason i asked is...many ones i know personally, had done the second option, and even they had made a fortune from it after few years, they still told me they regret they didnt get their dream house first...because even now they still can't afford to get into the area....?

2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I don't understand how you can regret not buying something you couldn't afford to buy in the first place

3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Depends on what your goals are.

Before we even thought about property investment, we bought the 'dream house' (although on bigger land), and took on an almost 750k mortgage. Now our servicability is peaked at 2 IPs. Would be a different story if we were rentvesting.

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you can afford your dream PPOR then I would go for it.

Lifestyle is important and I think better to be happy where you are living.

We still live in our family home of nearly 40 years and love living here. Sure we could cash in and live somewhere smaller or in a cheaper area, but not all decisions have to be based simply on financial outcomes.

If both options you gave are IPs, then that is an entirely different matter.
    Marg

Ace in the Hole likes this.
  5. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

2nd this.
    Get your nice PPOR.

6. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

The scenario was, if you could afford either.

7. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

The budget affords a PPOR in a dream suburb, probably need to scale down the land size, for example go for a townhouse or unit style.

Guess my question should have been, if you would prefer a townhouse/ unit house in a dream suburb (to be able live in now) vs a full standalone house with large land size in an outer suburb (purely for investment point of view if that was the case).

8. Marg4000

Same reply. If that is truly where you want to live, then what not go for it. Unless, of course, you would be just as happy living in the outer suburb.

Flip a coin. You will know by your own gut reaction to the decision whether it is the one you deep down truly wanted to get.
    Marg

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I assume they don't have the cash flow to buy the investment block and rent the dream home (that'd be the ideal?)

I think you are misinterpreting the reason for their disappointment (and maybe they don't realise this too): they are not disappointed for missing out on their dream home when they could have bought one. The are actually disappointed in making a bad investment decision.

You see, they assumed the 800sqm block in whoop whoop was going to go up in value more than a 400sqm block in the dream suburb.
    They were wrong.
    The evidence is in the fact that they "can't afford to get into <the dream surburb>"
    The dream suburb went up more than the 800sqm property did. They invested in the wrong suburb, in the wrong type of property. That is what they are regretting - not the fact they missed out on the dream home.

The Y-man

Rasheda and Anthony Brew like this.
  10. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

So is it possible that an investment block like that could grow faster than a smaller block in "dream suburb"? Or generally less likelt? :)

11. Joshwaaaa

Joshwaaaa Well-Known Member

We did the "dream house" thing first, yep it will set us back a bit in terms of investments etc but we had a large chunk of cash which we probably wouldnt have again for a long time and we wanted to do it while the kids were still young and get to enjoy it too (no chance of renting what we bought). We are only young ourselves so have plenty of time to build up our fortune.

12. Marg4000

Anything is possible.

However, given the choice, I would go for the more desirable location. Scarcity is the main driver of price growth. Prices will rise if buyers outnumber sellers in a given area, as more are competing for fewer properties.
    Marg

13. The Y-man

Depends. Have a look at 800sqm in Springvale vs 400sqm in Brunswick West for instance. But then compare that to 800sqm in Glen Waverley.

The Y-man

14. ATANG

ATANG Well-Known Member

Hm... in the dilemma of deciding whether to just ignore the "dream factors" (e.g. standalone 700sqm house) and just settle for a smaller "dream house" (e.g. townhouse, unit house) in a "dream suburb". Or use that money for investment block in growth suburbs....to make some profit in order to get a bigger house in those dream suburbs? Second option is fun but it's more like a betting game.... and given the current talk of tightening, not sure whether prices can keep firing like now....

15. The Y-man

Keep in mind it can be the "reverse" - a town house in the outer suburbs can cost similar to a standalone house in an inner suburb.

75 Bowen Street Moonee Ponds Vic 3039 - House for Sale #125008054 - realestate.com.au

vs

10/8-12 Nonda Avenue Doncaster East Vic 3109 - Townhouse for Sale #124799462 - realestate.com.au

The Y-man

16. The Y-man

PFI can assist you with your investment strategies for your SMSF, Life Cover for your members and assistance with compliance. We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice