Drainage Works

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by gty12, 21st Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gty12

gty12 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

For an investment property have some under house drainage works that were quoted on as part of settlement (it was mentioned in the contract that so long as the quote was less than $X then settlement was to proceed) and commenced shortly thereafter.
    Total cost $15,000.00 inclusive of any GST

It would in my mind be an 'initial repair' as the works are being done (they are currently still ongoing) to remedy poor underhouse drainage. However the drain did not exist when the property was bought-we are putting it in, so not really 'repairing' anything.

Four questions please:
    1. Is my definition correct? Do I claim these works as a capital works deduction?
    2. In FY2019 we have only paid $7,500.00 worth of costs, final half payment not due until works are finished (next few weeks), how do we adjust for this? Do I only make the entire claim in FY2020 tax return?
    3. How does one work out the claim for these capital works deductions? Is it simply 2.5% of the total cost each year for 40 years starting from the construction end date?
    4. Because it (the works) were partly noted in the contract, does this form part of our capital gains cost base for capital gains tax?

Thank you very much-your help is greatly appreciated,
    gty12

Last edited: 21st Sep, 2019
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

gty12 likes this.