Drainage problems

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Hodor, 26th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Our new PPoR soon to settle has some drainage issues, Building and Pest identified this as something that needs to be rectified, just not sure how.
    Currently there is no storm water easement on the property and downpipes drop down beside the house. Consequently the yard is always quite damp and not as usable as we would like.
    The block also slopes from front to back, ~1m-1.5m of fall from the front of the block to rear of house.

One idea given to us was to direct water to the street (which has gutters) from the downpipes. I have no idea what kind of problems this could cause re council etc. Going up hill will also leave water in the pipes which is no ideal.

Another idea given was to put some kind of "trap" (can't recall the name) at the back of the block to help dry out the yard and put in ag pipe etc to help get the water there.

There is a 4ft easement 4 blocks across that is set aside for drainage, I assume this means storm water (maybe I am been too optimistic) and will be calling the council about this Monday and hopefully get an idea if this can be extended and rough costs. If anyone has experience here it would be great to go in armed with some knowledge.

Any other ideas? What have you done?

2. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Guttering dropping rain next to wall (same for garden beds, lawn retic etc) is bad for many reasons.

Perhaps what has been mentioned is >soak wells<
    Depending on ground conditions (dirt, cap rock etc) will ultimately weigh up costs to install.
    You can DIY (or handyman) a small one to each downpipe, or more expensive, place a large one down the back with all roof plumbing running to it.
    If there's a spot around the house where you can't dig (i.e. concreted) and you can't allow it to run elsewhere, perhaps a flush to wall water tank (subsidy maybe) but it will eventually fill if not used.
    Pending its location etc you could plumb it into toilet, washing machine etc

3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Do you have any plans showing storm water pipes running through the property?
    What's this easement your taking about ??
    Where are the down pipes of your house and any idea where they run to? are the down pipes at the , back front sides?? there may just be a blockage or broken pipe

If the block had so much fall why isnt the water running through to the neighbouring blocks??

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Its a confusing post without location
    Don't know where the property is but not having this sorted with build?
    In WA were not allowed to run it into the street, other states maybe the same but in NSW as a kid they can run it into the street gutter, from there goes to storm water/sewerage plants (perhaps a contributor to turds surfing at Bondi from Manly treatment plant, don't know how long its been since that happened tho)

5. bob shovel

What happens in WA? Runs to the street then connects into pipes under the road/gutter ? ? Ill keep an eye out, things are different over west! I'd say it just dumps on the ground from roof gutters, then flows the lay of the land.

No chunks leaving bondi I'll have you know! I spent 3 years upgrading that plant!

And storm water is a different system to sewer so they are seperate. Storm water to creeks, rivers etc. sewer to plants then water ways.

OP. How many down pipes and where do they go? Side of house towards the front or rear?

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2015
  6. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Predominately individual Soakwells to each downpipe, mostly sand over here so not too many install dramas, some have limestone/caprock issues so jack a decent hole.

I worked at the plant back ~1990 for Bettergrow, lots of issues back then.

7. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The houses on the other side of our street have no storm water to hook into. They have to deal with it with tanks and rubble pits, and they slope slightly down from the street, so that is harder still. Have you asked the council where your new PPOR is what they recommend?

8. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

NSW. I believe it is an early 70s build from memory.

Thanks, I think that is what was said. There is a rock shelf (?sandstone) that is fairly shallow, I believe this causes issues with drainage/damp yards in most of the houses in the area.

The only pipes noted on the property are for sewerage.
    The plan of subdivision shows an easement "easement to drain water 4 feet wide" to the rear of properties, unfortunately this ends 4 properties before ours.
    Down pipes aren't plumbed into anything, they come down the side of the house and stop about 3 inches from the ground.
    Downpipes are at the four corners of the house, it is shaped like a rectangle.

Thanks for the replies so far. I am not sure what is important information and what isn't so ask any questions you have. I am handy enough (or can get help) to give most DIY jobs a go.

9. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Calling the council is a job for tomorrow. Settlement is about 30 days away so there is some time to plan out the best options.

10. bob shovel

Oh yeah forgot it's a big sand pit over here!

Were you at bondi? The ocean outfall should have been in by the 90's i thought. Pumps 3km out to sea.

There's a plant north of Perth that they're treating with ultra filtration (not sure of specifics ) and spearing it down into the water table. Good idea, rather than out to sea

11. bob shovel

Where in nsw? You could go to dial before you dig website for free plans but unlikely storm water will be shown, it's the least loved service!
    There may still be a pipe running through but depends on the age and area.

You'll have more luck with a local Plumber over council! They should know what the go is in your area or provide a solution

WattleIdo likes this.
  12. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

Ok will do.

Sutherland Shire is the local council

13. bob shovel

Ahh the shire, you can't help bad luck i guess ;)

I wouldn't bother looking at the extending Strom water through the neighbours blocks if that's what you were thinking, but worth asking council if there is any chance of that happening, at their cost!

If look at west oz's suggestion of a soak away. or see if anything is stopping/slowing the water running through neighbouring blocks, which should be happening so the water gets away. I've the years of water running across the block it's gradually soak in and creating a boggy area. Being syd area and on the Coast the wa plan won't be best but may help.
    Stay simple by seeing if the water flow is being obstructed, then call a plumber

14. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Manly Plant (is there one at Bondi?) I'm an ex Shire boy.
    Allot of issues with the ocean pipes initially (onshore winds/current took it surfing at Bondi) mainly after a big storm, why was storm water having an impact? was very political at the time.
    Yes, considering we in the desert rely heavily on our ground water what a wonderful idea should something go wrong.
    IMO it should all go into sealed shallow ponds for drying then turned into agriculture fertiliser, we have clay areas available that can never be built on.
    Cricky's must be an old hidden out of the way area not to be already sorted

15. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

This is the only related issue the inspectors have reported to you? nothing about any damage/deterioration to structure, no evidence of termites etc?

In the end if its a 1970's model and they haven't reported any concerns other than where the water is dropping, there's no evidence/concern to structure, I'd leave it.

If it bothers you all that's required is to divert the downpipe water away from the foundation of the structure, this can be done in many ways incl soakwells, dig a trench and run pipping across to a garden bed etc, simply get it away from the foundations.

16. bob shovel

@WestOz 3 main ones in Sydney- malabar, manly (north head), bondi. Storm water is an issue as because the system is over 100 years old there's been lots of illegal/dodgey connections into the current sewer network. They really get cranking during a good storm! Bondi i think get it's worst as it uses the old brick pipes under Sydney.
    The original out falls just dropped off the cliff into the ocean. Pretty cool to see, 100year old brick pipes.

I'd like to think WA is reusing the"cake". East Coast sells it to landscaping companies etc who do as you said. Gets dried and mixed then used as topsoil, potting mix etc etc. i used to enjoy watch the truck chug up the hill out of bondi dripping along the road With bmw's tail gateing him

17. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

When I was involved it was mixed with kiln and lime dust (transportable cement plant), got trucked to farm, windrowed for a few months then sold to Hunter vineyards.
    yes seen a bit of that over here as well, if they only knew lol

18. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

There are some small cracks to the brickwork, given this we want to come up with a long term solution to avoid serious damage. Of course we haven't had an engineers report so it may already be serious. Hopefully not.

19. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I'd gather from that their simply advising it would be advisable, not that there's reason for engineer, in the end they've fulfilled their contract requirement, its your piece of mind to decide thereafter.
    More than likely normal and existed since a few years after build settled, lots of considerations, heavy construction/builds etc nearby over the many years.

Water splashing out of downpipe may see slight mortar erosion, discolouring, mould etc, shouldn't effect slab to cause cracking.
    Soil dampness will attract termites etc.

As said simple to DIY redirect, keep retic/watering, gardens/mulch etc away from walls/pillars etc

Hodor likes this.
  20. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Some suggestions, also including consideration to hot water & A/C system overflows which normally drip next to the wall.

[​IMG]

Whilst not ideal (splashes) a cheap solution placed under the downpipe with a 45deg attached
    [​IMG]

Soakwell
    [​IMG]

The big job
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

bob shovel and Hodor like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia