Downlight questions

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Burramys, 11th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

My PPOR kitchen downlights have a bad design, with the lights very high in the tubes creating a narrow beam. The ones in the cupboards over the counter took up a lot of room. The three ceiling downlights were made into one flush ceiling light, and the counter downlights were removed. I'm happy with the result.

It was not possible to have the ceiling downlights removed and the holes plastered over - I may have forgotten to ask the sparky to remove the lights. I have portion of a sheet of plaster from another reno and want to do the job myself. I've done this before and it came out well.

My only concern is the electrical connection to the ceiling downlights. I suspect that these may have wires that were electrically isolated when the new ceiling light was installed. Or there may be no wires. It may be obvious, or not, when I get into the ceiling cavity.

Advice is needed - will the ceiling downlights be connected? Are there any safety precautions I should take? TIA.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

If they are 12v downlights, they will have a transformer which is either plugged in to a GPO or hard-wired. If they're plugged in, you can unplug them. Hard-wired will require the sparky to disconnect, though you can unplug/unscrew terminals & remove the wires from the 12v side yourself. Downside is the transformers would still be active.

3. Burramys

Scott, thanks. While I was fairly certain that the downlights had been disconnected, considering other options before starting was advised. The easiest initial access was via the manhole. Person hole? Too many of these are where the clearance above is minimal; on one reno the hole was moved, much easier.

I thought that there was a lot of dust, and there was, but most turned out to be green-brown insulation batts, made me laugh. I could only get to one light, as the rest were close to the wall. This light had a 15 amp cable snipped, so it seemed that the other two lights would have also had the snip.

It was possible to bend three clips and push the light down, nice.

In the kitchen I pulled this light out, and was rewarded with dust that had been there since at least the siege of Mafeking. Usefully, the other two came out fairly easily, with more dust.

I found a plaster disk where the first light hole was cut, good as a template. This was used in the first hole, and I need more plaster compound. Lunch is first.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Sounds worrying... :eek:

The Y-man

5. Burramys

My sparky used to be a surgeon, so all is well. The holes are now plugged. Ceiling holes I mean.