International Dow Breaches 23,000

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Redwing, 22nd Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

The Dow Jones Industrial Average briefly broke above the 23,000-point mark for the first time on Tuesday hitting it's 53rd record for 2017, but finished the session just below that milestone, it has since pushed forward and now sits at 23,328 based largely on expectations of what’s going to come

The Dow only just crossed 22,000 for the first time in August this year and its seems 21,000 wasn't too far back either

The DJIA is up around 44% since February 2016

The traders of courses were ecstatic at 23,000

upload_2017-10-22_7-54-18.png upload_2017-10-22_8-0-22.png

But they have also had their down days i.e. watching the Dow Jones Industrial Average fall by 22% in one day (on the back of a 10% fall the week prior).

upload_2017-10-22_8-3-18.png upload_2017-10-22_8-3-58.png upload_2017-10-22_8-4-56.png

Interesting times with many commentators getting concerned

upload_2017-10-22_8-22-32.png

Attached Files:

Perthguy, pippen, sharon and 2 others like this.
  2. Redwing

3. Redwing

trinity168, sharon, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

@Redwing, thanks for the cool read.

Ever read Dan Borge's "The Book of Risk."

Redwing likes this.
  5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

@Redwing I hope you’re not contemplating market timing:eek:. Otherwise you’ll be banned from ever getting membership to the “Boglehead Hall of Fame”:p.

Shame, shame, shame ...:D

Redwing likes this.
  6. Redwing

The only thing certain is uncertainty; just trying to generate some talk on recent market highs

That said the Market hasn't raced away enough to see me sell anything, as top ups are keeping my allocations in check

A downturn will be a good opportunity to deploy some of those Bond's though :D

upload_2017-10-22_10-42-43.png

Perthguy and Nodrog like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Sounds good to me Bond, James Bond:cool:.

Anne11 likes this.
  8. Swuzz

Swuzz Well-Known Member

Enough people talking about crashes that we probably won't get one for a while.
    I could imagine money flowing from US to Europe, Asia and even Australia.
    PE ratios are solid but not crazy aren't they?

9. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

For that long of a period of time you need an exponentially increasing Y-axis, not linear, for it to make sense to someone looking at it. For a linear Y axis, it would too difficult (actually impossible) to distinguish if the end of the graph has risen beyond what a 'normal' exponential rise would be and so no way to know if it is actually over priced or not compared to a long running average.

upload_2017-10-22_8-34-9.png

Perthguy and Foxdan like this.
  10. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Thats what bonds are for.....for good times, for bad times they'll be on your side forever more.....thats what bonds are for.....

Stay the course ;)

dhm1249.jpg

Redwing, Anne11, Zenith Chaos and 2 others like this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

If you’re talking about the following Bonds I’m happy to own but not sure about the other stuff. And yes for good times, for bad times they’ll be on your (back) side forever more ... that’s what Bonds are for ... :).

647E5E23-3063-4779-8686-6345668D0E96.jpeg

One of my younger pics:D.

Then again you both know I’m crazy and beyond help:confused::confused::).

Last edited: 24th Oct, 2017
  12. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

@austing - keep the forum family friendly (and work friendly) now ... :D

Anne11 and Nodrog like this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

He he should have seen the other pictures:eek:. That’s as forum family friendly a pic as I could find:). As for work friendly you shouldn’t be looking at the forum during work hours:p.

Next thing you know the moderators might ban me for going “undercover”:cool:.

Anne11, sharon and trinity168 like this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Speaking of Bonds I found this amusing in that it uses St Jack’s to promote corporate bonds. Shame, shame, shame:
    What bond allocation should look like at each age

Mawhawhawhahaha

15. Redwing

upload_2017-11-3_6-36-4.png

Investors celebrated 10 years since the ASX peak with a solid day of trade that sent the All Ordinaries index past 6000 points for the first time since the GFC.

The All Ords measure, which includes close to 500 stocks, advanced 29 points, or 0.5 per cent, to 6006. The last time the All Ords pushed above 6000 points was in August 2007. The ASX peaked on November 1 of that year and has yet to regain those heights.

The benchmark S&P/ASX 200 index continued to strive towards the elusive 6000-point level, moving within 50 points before also closing up 29 points at 5938.

The All Ordinaries hitting the 6000 level is "a milestone and that's important," AMP Capital's chief economist Shane Oliver said.

The rally in Australian stocks has been mainly driven by the gathering momentum in global markets "which we've been ignoring until recently," Mr Oliver said.

While Wall St has set a series of new all-time records, the ASX 200 languishes 13 per cent below its peak reached a decade ago. Mr Oliver said that the Australian market has been struggling under the weight of tighter monetary policy and a collapse in commodity prices.

"Initially our recovery was similar to global markets but we parted company with them in 2009 when Australia started to raise interest rates. Ever since then, we've had underperformance."

Link

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Redwing

Decided to have a look where the DJIA is at present

upload_2017-12-21_5-24-51.png

17. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

[​IMG] Donald J. Trump‏Verified account @realDonaldTrump 7h7 hours ago
    Quote..

The Tax Cuts are so large and so meaningful, and yet the Fake News is working overtime to follow the lead of their friends, the defeated Dems, and only demean. This is truly a case where the results will speak for themselves, starting very soon. Jobs, Jobs, Jobs!

6:32 AM - 20 Dec 2017

What do people think about this and the way it will affect Australia?..

18. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

Last edited: 22nd Dec, 2017
    sharon, Redwing, Nodrog and 1 other person like this.
  19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

From what I understand including State Taxes the reduced US company tax rate is around 26%.

Not sure the impact will be as great as hoped. Yet more debt being added to the massive amount already in existence.

But I admit to not being an authority on any of this. I take the view that markets have a mind of their own and will do what they do regardless of Government actions. I just make sure I have a plan in place for when the **** hits the fan.

If one believes in reversion to the mean then when the next crash occurs the US markets will fall much harder than Australia with Australia experiencing higher growth in comparison for a decade or so thereafter. But anyone’s guess. I don’t try to predict but just ensure I’m always ready to take advantage of such opportunities when they occur.

Foxdan, sharon and willair like this.
  20. Redwing

And now 25,000 breached

Snowball and Foxdan like this.