Double the refund

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Robert Petty, 24th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Robert Petty

Robert Petty Well-Known Member

Seeking any advice from lawyers or accountants.
    Hypothetically if a major accounnting firm paid you your refund twice do you need to give them a call and arrange to pay it back to them or is it their loss for being negligent with their own out going payments?

Thanks in advance. Rob

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

There is no requirement to tell them of their mistake, but if they request the money back you would need to give them as it doesn't belong to you.

Robert Petty likes this.
  3. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Hello Rob

You are not obliged but it would be nice.

Eventually the truth will come out. If you call it now you will look like a saint.

The people you deal with now might move into different areas in the future and your path might cross again.

Just my thoughts.

4. Robert Petty

So not letting them know isn't a crime? Any time limit where if they didn't ask for the money back that they would no longer have a claim to it?

5. Robert Petty

It's not a big enough amount for me to be greedy about keeping it but still nice to keep it if I can. It's a decent sum and could go towards the next deposit

6. Terry_w

6 years probably

Robert Petty likes this.
  7. Terry_w

And it may mean hardship for the tax agent - this could cause them to shut up shop for all you know.

wylie and Robert Petty like this.
  8. Robert Petty

Hmm I'll go into their office tomorrow. The lady who did my refund was nice so don't wanna see her get into trouble. The accounting firm on the other hand I just looked up and their worth a couple billion.

Perthguy and Ross Forrester like this.
  9. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Just imagine if they did a google review if you and put that online? Really?

Look after your suppliers and clients. They are all part of your team.

wylie and Robert Petty like this.
  10. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

Why are you even contemplating keeping it?
    Poor form.

Skuttles, Brady, balwoges and 5 others like this.
  11. Robert Petty

Well you're right it would seem that way. But before posting here the first thing I did was call their office to speak to my agent or an office senior to alert them of their mistake. Was more a question out of curiosity.

12. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The question suggests theft by advantage. It occurs when a ATM spits out excessive money and many other ways.....Asking for advice on theft does not make it legal.

s81 Crimes Act....to start

Scott No Mates likes this.
  13. Robert Petty

I'm not quite a lawyer so these are things I don't know. But as a hungry mind to learn from every experience in life I look the chance to ask what the rules are in such a situation. I had already organised to attend their office tomorrow and alert them.
    Anyone who knows me knows that I do everything by the book so I'm not trying to steal anything by any advantage.

Perthguy likes this.
  14. Paul@PAS

Its a choice. Do I steal or give back the error? One may become a crime. Finding $50 on the street is a crime. Since the Crimes Act requires it be reported to police. Do that and its not theft

15. Robert Petty

So I've already spoken to the office to give it back but since I wasn't aware of the situation until 8pm tonight (they don't close until 9pm so I was able to still call) I have to go back tomorrow when someone will be in the office who can help me. The clerk who answered the phone advised me that there was no one in the office at that moment who could assist me with the issue. But what you're saying is I also have to alert the police?

See, this is why I asked. The more advice on how to handle and rectify the situation the better.

16. Paul@PAS

Call when they are open. Its no drama to rectify any advantage.
    Police ? No. Just call tomorrow and describe the issue.

Robert Petty and Ross Forrester like this.
  17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would ask myself how I'd feel if the roles were reversed (in all of these types of scenarios - not just this one).

Brady and Kesse like this.
  18. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Way back when, hubby received a director' bonus after we had lodged his tax return. As it related to the previous year, we wrote to the ATO declaring the income and asked to amend his tax return.

Received a very nice letter back saying our records had been updated but no extra tax would be assessed! Should have framed it.
    Marg

19. Luckycharm

Luckycharm Well-Known Member

I have a blanket rule to disregard anyone who says 'poor form'. Moral stance is personal. I keep it to myself when my choices are at odds with society.

But I am a maligned property investor so what do I know:rolleyes:

20. Robert Petty

Very much appreciate your advice Paul.
    Well I guess it would be poor form to keep it but at the same time that's just up to anyone's opinion.
    Went and spoke to their office manager this morning and they've assured me that they're being in contact with an office in Sydney that handles the refund payments and will get back to me.
    They will have to sign a witnessed letter of acknowledgment with me that they received it back once it's been sorted out. Just to be safe.

Marg4000 likes this.

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.