Double Story house with a balcony or without

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Rowa, 10th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Rowa

Rowa Member

Hi

I am building a double story 35sqm house in Melbourne South Eastern with a volume builder.
    If I need a balcony I need to pay $10,500 & the balcony will be from the master bed room. If I want glass panels then extra $6.5K. The facade without the balcony has large windows to look outside. If I add the balcony, there will not be any larger windows in the master bed room, instead will be narrow windows.

The opposite of the house is another double story as well as on one side. There is a creek, but about 250m away & due to the double story restrictions on most of the blocks in the avenue, no much of a view.

This house is simply for an investment & the balcony will not have sufficient space to place a table, probably 2/3 chairs. I have a balcony where I live & have not use it for years & it is even smaller.

I am wondering whether there will be an added value at the time of reselling. I would probably keep this house at least for the next 10-15 years as an investment property.

Please find the attached photos of the facade.

Could you please advise your thoughts, whether it would be better to add the balcony or not.

Attached Files:

2. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

i'm partial to balconies tbh, and off the master is all the better, can't understand why people have them off the living area, especially if its a family home with kids etc.

I would have no clue as to whether it will value add, it has definitely got appeal and could stand out to a potential buyer, I feel it makes the house more premium.

Are there any other double-stories with balconies on the street?

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

The few people I know who have a balcony off an upstairs bedroom never use it.

However, if it improves the facade and looks attractive, it may be worth the extra money, which seems to be a small percentage additional to the overall cost.

4. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Heaps of people tried to suggest don't go balcony suggesting that wouldn't get used.
    We proceeded, as helped with the approval (POS), facade looked better.
    Personally use the balcony all year round
    Summer morning have coffee on the balcony, nights sunsets
    Winter nights port :) and watching storms

Archaon likes this.
  5. Rowa

Rowa Member

Most of the houses still haven't build on the street, as blocks of one size of the street released recently. I will anyway drive past & see how does it look like on the other double storey houses in the estate.

I know most of the houses looks better with balconies, but if you look at the photos I attached, if I add a balcony to this facade, does not look much nicer, as the bigger windows will make narrow. If I don't put glass panels it doesn't look so good as in the photo, as the balcony will cover all the windows.

6. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

@Rowa not a fan of the 3rd pic - 2nd pic looks good.
    1st without it looks fine, so if not going to use or need don't spend the $

7. Marg4000

Agree.
    To me, the best photo is the first, followed by the second. Don’t like #3, that solid balcony railing is just wrong.

Archaon and Brady like this.
  8. Rowa

Rowa Member

Brady, I will not be in this house, as it is an investment only. I was wondering at the time of selling after 10-15 years time will there be any added value if a balcony is added.

I also like the facade without the balcony as well, due to the larger windows.... If added a non-glass panel balcony, it will cover all the windows.

9. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Better for hanging the laundry out on without neighbours seeing it :D

The Y-man

10. Marg4000

Or nude sunbathing?

Archaon and The Y-man like this.
  11. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a similarly useless sized balcony off our master bedroom, don't use it. I don't think it's worth the extra $16k if there is no view to speak of.

Marg4000 likes this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The size is impractical if you can't put a table & chairs on it. Useless for anything other than a private balcony as access is via the bedroom. Doesn't have any shading over it so can't be used as an alfresco.

The glazed balcony (picture 2) is more appealing.

Archaon and Marg4000 like this.
  13. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

CBF finding current pics, these are from my development, I live in the property on the left with the timber balcony.
    We use ours all the time, tenants next door don't believe they use it at all - 1 even gets city views and don't think it's used.

Also CBF finding better pic :) but park across the road.

Attached Files: