Double Storey Construction Cost

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by karthik.s, 9th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. karthik.s

karthik.s Well-Known Member

Hi Guys,

Can anyone let me know, what would be the construction cost of a double storey house ?

What I am looking for is a 4 bedroom double storey house with a floor Area - 330+ square meter (~36m2). My budget all inclusive (Sitecost + Construction cost + Landscaping) - 400- 450 K.

Is this budget reasonable? Also can you let me know the good builders with some good/ decent standard inclusions ?

Is there any checklist that I have to consider on the cost involved. I am researching and creating a checklist, good to see and refer if there is one already there.

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Have you spoken to any builders in the area you're looking to build in? That would be your best bet IMO
    I thought you already found a block and spoke to a builder for another deal?

3. karthik.s

Thanks for the response. Might sound silly but how to find who are the local builders ? Is it like builders like Metricon, Clarendon etc..

I have found one in Kellyville with land area close to 700.

4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

Ok great, 700 sqm is a decent size, you could fit a single story 4 bedder easily, do you need double story?
    Simply type in "Kellyville Builder" in Google search - ring around and ask the average cost per square metre, explain what you want to build etc. etc.

5. karthik.s

Yeah. I prefer double storey but I am considering Single storey as well. I will do the search on the builders.

6. Thomacino

Thomacino Well-Known Member

If you can provide an indicative size of living areas of the dwelling (up/downstairs) and the material of the building it can easily be calculated with Rawlinsons or Cordells.

On the face of things, $450k for a double storey is on the light side, I'm picturing a subpar average finish internally with clad facade or the like..

Build it once and build it right.. a poor man pays twice..

7. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

$450k seems very optimistic unless you go with a budget volume builder.

8. karthik.s

Hi,
    I understand that I am conservative on construction cost, it is because of the price I have paid for the land :). I am thinking of streching a bit but not sure. I have attached a sample Plan I am looking at, can you give me an rough estimate on this ?

Attached Files:

9. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Being ‘conservative’ on building cost usually means overestimating it. If yours is already tight and there is a cost overrun, what happens?

shorty likes this.
  10. karthik.s

I am planning to have a fixed price cost from the builder. Still at early stages on planning !! I can go for 450 + landscaping (which I can save it during the construction).

11. Thomacino

Judging by the response, I don't think the OP is even at consultation stage with a builder, a floorplan doesn't offer much response.
    I think the OP is after a loose figure.

As I and other have said, $450,000 doesn't get you much two storey dwelling.

12. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

Is Melbourne cheaper than Sydney in terms of construction cost?
    A friend built his 2 storey house, 33squares, high spec build with Henley.
    He paid 442k including customizations.

13. Thomacino

The building costs are subjective and a key difference in the two builds could be a) profit and risk b) availability of materials and c) purchase power.

You might be surprised to know the 'anticipated building price adjustment' for Syd is 101.00 and Mel 102.00 as at 30 Jun 2020.

14. karthik.s

I have been with different builders for past few weeks, basically spent my weekend in Marsden park, Box hill and Oran park. Checking the display homes and discussing with the builder.

I have contacted builders like Metricon, Mcdonald Jones, Clarendon, Mojo Homes and Eden Brea.

I am currently working out their Basic Cost + Standard inclusions + things we need and the cost for it + driveway (some say they do and some not) + Landscaping (which no one does).

Basically what they say is that they will do a free site estimate for actual Sitecost after soil test etc.

I have been given a balpark estimate of 450 + landscaping + Driveway (in some cases).

I thought if someone recently build a new double storey house for 35-36 m2 and provide me an estimate and builder name so that I could further discuss with them in details.

Basically what I am looking for is the hidden cost , which I might miss during my estimate.

15. mpty

mpty Active Member

Apox $1500 per square metre from a project builder for middle of the range inclusions incl your own driveway, landscaping expenses. So for a 330 sqm house roughly $500K including everything may be achievable assuming your land is reasonably flat.

There are cheaper smaller builders out there and also custom builder who would charge anywhere from $1600+.

Good luck.

16. karthik.s

Hi Guys,

Recently went to a builder McDonald Jones and got a free quote.

Their price for a Double Storey 37m2 house with a Third Garage is about 460K (Includes the site Cost and all the inclusions we need).

Their price for a Double Storey 40m2 house with a Third Garage is about 480K (Includes the site Cost and all the inclusions we need).

Plus we need to pay for the driveway and Landscapping.

Is this sound reasonable ? What inclusions we need to be check? or any tips and advice is much appreciated.

I am in process of getting a quote from Metricon and Mojo homes. We prefer Steel frames and so looking for builder, who does that.

Any recommendation \ advice is much appreciated.

17. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

It's hard to ballpark because every builder has a different level of finish and inclusions. All the prices you've mentioned so far fall within the realm of reasonable assuming a medium high level of finish and inclusions.

You want to check for EVERYTHING before you pay your build deposit- most builders will spring costs on you after you're committed!!!!

A few examples of things easily left out are:
    - Foundation (!)
    - Siteworks.
    - Fencing.
    - Landscaping.
    - Driveway.
    - Window Coverings and Screens (though you might want to leave this out anyway).
    - Suitable Electrical Fitout (some will allow a ridiculously small amount of lights and points)
    - Council fees.
    - Floor coverings.

qak likes this.
  18. karthik.s

Thanks Tom for the comment.

In the Tender they mentioend Fixed price site cost (Machine Hire, Sewer, water and electricity connection, Concrete pump for slab, Drilling rig for Piers) - 9K
    Fixed Price Piering - 7K
    Temp Fencing - 2.5K
    Roof Rail - 2K
    Water tank and over flow- 15K
    Sarking beneath the roof - 3K
    BASIX Certification - 9K
    Floor Coverings - 18K

Items not in tender

Landscapping - Estimate 10K
    Driveway -10K
    Window Coverings and Screens - Not sure

I am just wondering all the mentioend price in tender are fixed are will there be any variations.
    Electricals - 5K (Extras other than standard provided)

19. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

'fixed price' does not mean a lot!! I learnt the hard way

Tom Rivera likes this.
  20. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

@karthik.s Unfortunately that's something you'd have to ask the builder, then go very very carefully through their plans and specifications.

@S1mon what excuse did you get to change your 'fixed' price contract?