Double lockup garage from scratch

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Stannis, 29th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Stannis

Stannis Member

Hey everyone,

Just wanting to get an idea of costings to build a DLUG from scratch. I'm in perth, but happy to hear everyones experiences.

What was your cost? Did you manage it yourself (under 20k?), and if you did, what were the trades, costs and process you went with? How did you design it to work in with the existing house?

I've spoken to a couple of builders here (perth is a brick city) and this is the outline I have:
    DLUG is typically about 36sqm (6x6m). Can do 30 core (brick) internal ceiling height, this would be 2.55m, which we need clearance (250mm) for the garage door motor, fluro lights etc.
    Rough estimate (without seeing site) was $11,000. This was the above, and included the bricks, concrete, roof carpentry, roofing, gutters etc. No finish on brickwork/rendering.

Then the roller door would need to be installed, approx $2,200 for supply and install (non-builder) of a 2.15m x 5m 4 panel door.

I'm looking to employ trades myself, as this would need a building application but not a building licence to conduct the works (works <$20,000). Bricky, roof carpenter, concreter, electrician, garage door installer, roofing contractor, etc. Spoke to a bricky and concreter and already seems more cost effective. Just need to make sure the process is right, BA plans are correct etc.

Thanks

Stannis

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Why use fluoros when there's some good LED lights available?

Stoffo likes this.
  3. radson

radson Well-Known Member

We are going to demolish ours, too bad we cant ship it across!

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Have you considered site works and concrete slab, or was that what you meant by concretor
    Drainage
    Power points
    Window and second door

5. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Hard to know my exact cost as it’s a package deal, having a Pool and Deck built at the same time but it’s must be $30k.

Demo and remove old drive way 22Mtr x 3.5m
    Stormwater including Grate and Pit
    Brick Garage 7m x 4.3m tile roof and 2 x rolla doors 1 Electric.Face brick to match 1920s bungalow.
    6 LED Down lights and 2 outside lights
    Tv And Internet Port
    8 double power points and 1 15a power point
    Foundations for Garage and 120mm thick driveway
    Gate to side of garage

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

The main thing which will affect cost is how it ties it into the current roof. If it's a roof with a gable end the right size then it can just continue along. If part of the roof need to be taken down and reshaped to new then it will add engineering complexity etc etc

Also a colorbond roof would be easier than a tile roof - though matching a slightly faded roof to new is also hard-ish.

You'll need probably need a drafty to design and engineer to engineer then you can shop it around for quotes from various trades.

7. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

www.udrew.com.au (@charttv ....!)

Structerre have standard details they release for projects like this.

You'll need a site classification report, including wind and soil.
    A contour and feature survey.
    Professionally drawn plans (see above).
    Signed engineers footing and possibly roof beams and roof tie-downs depending on roof type.
    Building license fee.

charttv and Player like this.
  8. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I saw that episode on Jason Calacanis's TWIST with udrew.

Is that your venture or @charttv ?

charttv likes this.
  9. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Nah nothing to do with me. Mal just put me onto it.

10. Tom Young

Tom Young New Member

Hey @Aaron Sice @Player

I just stumbled upon this thread by accident, but feel free to pop me a message if you'd like some details on what we are doing @ udrew or if you'd like to see the system in action some time.
    Currently seeking for some building industry pilot buddy's too if you are interested? Otherwise, we are looking at going live around January :)

Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if you have any queries, or if i can be of any assistance.

Cheers,
    Tom (udrew founder guy)

Aaron Sice likes this.