Double glazing Sydney

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Gockie, 23rd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Hi,
    Wondering if anybody has recommendations for cost effective and good looking double glazing in Sydney, for the purpose heat and cold insulation.

2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    I recall you posted a similar post a while back. Did you end up checking soundblock?

Soundproofing Solutions | Soundblock Solutions

I got windows installed from them for a couple places, happy with the product as it's aluminium windows and it'll match the shape of your existing windows. Last tech that came out wasn't exactly tidy and left a couple cutter blades on the bed and some other small stuff but all in all have been happy with the product.

3. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

Probably not the most cost effective though, but I wasn't in on the ridiculous idea (IMO) of the magnets and polycarbonate boards.

4. Gockie

Thankyou! My one from a few years back was for a different property, that was for the purpose of noise. This one would be just for the heat and cold insulation for my home.

My dad says to put polycarbonate sheeting as a second insulating layer and screw it on, but I don’t want a dodgy looking finish! (My dad is an Engineer who doesn’t give a hoot about aesthetics at all)...

5. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

And also if you screw it in place, even if done nicely, you then lose all access and it won't solve your issues for Windows were you need the ability to open and close.

Perhaps you could consider adding in rubber seals around your openings. Very cost effective and efficient if you can feel a bit of draft

6. Gockie

For airflow we open the door to the balcony, we never open any of the other windows in this room of the house. We would only open them to help clean them... (there’s 7 of them in this one room!)

7. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The first question is what material do you want for the frames? Wood, uPVC, aluminum?

For the most effective heat and cold insulation you need to use thermally broken windows if you choose aluminum windows - I.e ones with a [plastic] separator between the inside and outside frame.

Standard double-glazed aluminum windows transfer heat / cold to the inside through the window frame - which is a waste when you’ve gone to the expense of double glazing!

Last edited: 23rd May, 2020

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia