Double glazing or plantation shutters?

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Cimbom, 12th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Hello,

Just wondering if you had to choose one of these options which would it be? Which do you think would have the most impact on value and saleability? They wouldn't be done just for this purpose (more for heat retention, insulation and partly for aesthetics for the shutters) but it would be nice if it had an impact.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've replaced blinds and curtains through our whole house (gradually) with security white plantation shutters. I'd choose them over double glazing (unless you have major noise issues or hot/cold issues that could benefit from double glazing).

3. bythebay

bythebay Well-Known Member

If noise is not an issue I'd go with plantation shutters

Brian84 likes this.
  4. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

We also have plantation shutters throughout our house. They look wonderful, but don't do anything with respect to insulation of either noise or temperature extremes.

5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

They can work well to keep the heat out if u say have some west facing windows that really cop it in summer.

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I'd go double glazing.
    I guess its easier and cheaper to change blinds.

7. wylie

Ours do control heat and cold to a large degree (our bedroom faces west). We have our bed pushed into a very wide box bay and all year we leave the windows open (sometimes close them in Winter) and I just reach up to change the angle to suit the temperature or light we want in the room. We've completely ditched having curtains. I guess in a cold climate, curtains would keep things even warmer.

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Well-Known Member

Plantation shutters looks fab. Are they hard to clean though?

I've got bad childhood memories of cleaning louvred windows :eek:

Chilliblue likes this.
  9. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

As bythebay says, definitely choose plantation shutters (unless noise is an issue).

The plantation shutters will have a visual impact that adds value, whereas double glazing does not.

10. wylie

Ours are metal (but don't look hard or cold like metal really). About once a year I wipe them down with a wrung out cloth. I should do them more often, but I don't. They don't really look dirty until they look dirty (if that makes sense) and then I clean them. I'll try to find a photo.

Catalyst likes this.
  11. wylie

IMG_7091.JPG

Nemo likes this.
  12. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I'd love a house where every window/door was double glazed and I didn't need a single blind or curtain. But then again - I live on land so privacy is not an issue.

At the moment - I've only curtains in the lounge/dining open plan area for warmth in winter. Junior has curtains in her bedroom because morning sun shines directly into her room ... every other room/window/door has nothing and I love it that way.

Even when we lived in town, we had the house angled for privacy, so I only ever shut the curtains for warmth in winter ... the rest of the year they stayed open