Double Dissolution: Have your say

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Skilled_Migrant, 18th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm disillusioned ;)

3. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Why would it change plans ?

It is only if this stunt backfires and puts Blinky Bill in da house.

4. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Who cares. Both sides are just as useless as each other and until that changes and they spend as much time governing and innovating as they do bickering and mud slinging, nothing will change

samiam, Vacant, Traveller99 and 9 others like this.
  5. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Everyone is accountable,one just has to only ask one simple question,which party has the "huge competitive advantage" one run it like a business from the outside in,the other plays the unions and social foot traffic by numbers..

6. dabbler

Well, that is in theory.

neither seems to have been good at doing much for last number of years.

I will say at least Labour has given a good reason not to vote for them as ramifications after recent lending changes and end of Sydney cycle could be a real disaster, but see how the libs were also toying with the ideas, they are getting closer to both being similar if you ask me, and paralysis is setting in.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

The game changer is to boot the useless sods in the senate up the arts. Those who hold the balance of power hold an insignificant % of the vote but hold more power than either party in their own right.

8. Skilled_Migrant

They are not going without a fight, which makes this DD more interesting
    High Court to hear Day's challenge to Senate voting reforms
    Anyone for prime minister Shorten ?

9. Skilled_Migrant

Question
    Answers:
    Some more clarity should emerge on the budget night, if the libs will be taking the axe to NG and CGT (I think not).
    Bankers must be keeping their fingers crossed

10. dabbler

They already said they dropped that idea, but seeing many are yo yo's .... who knows.

I would say they are doing something at the top of super for those that do what could be seen as abuse and not what it was designed for.

There has been discussion on how this is a big gamble, if Turnbull has a few slip ups or about face, this risk may prove costly & frankly I do not like him running this gamble on our behalf, they already have changes to senate, put up with it for a bit longer.

11. bumskins

bumskins Well-Known Member

The problem is going to be that the Turnbull Government is fast eroding support. So for them to get in, they will have to provide a weak budget that doesn't tackle much of anything. Which will be worse for Australia's long term future.

I think a Turnbull Government would probably be the worst outcome for Australia at the moment. He's completely paralysed at the moment, doesn't have support from his party and has little to no conviction and it's starting to hurt the economy.

It's easy to get caught up on Negative Gearing and Capital Gains changes, but they are still just tinkering around the edges. We need widespread reform.

12. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

Would love to see libs get a majority in both houses so that some meaningful legislation might actually get passed without being blocked or diluted by the minor party senators but sadly I don't think it will happen.

HUGH72, Phar Lap and Sackie like this.
  13. Skilled_Migrant

As per Sportsbet odds, coalition is approximately 3 times likely to win as compared to labor:
    Coalition 1.30
    Labor 3.50

14. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

It isn't just the cross-benchers in the Senate that mess with legislation - it is the hyperspeed PR cycle that works in Australia. Poll driven politics is the defining feature of Australian politics for the past 10 years. Howard sucks > lets get Rudd > Rudd is a turd > Bring in Julia > She's awful > Back to Krudd > Tony has to be better than this > Tony you're an embarrassment, and not just when you're in speedos > Save us Malcolm! > No, you're actually not much better than Tony (and your Treasurer is "fool" personified)

Imo -

Fixed 4 year terms + Proportional representation in both houses.

My experience having lived in NZ for a while now is that the "we need to work with some people we actually don't care much for" approach of NZ politics is actually better than the "my way or the DD highway" approach of Australian politics.

But they're all useless.

15. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Good analysis. He doesn't have support from his party of his voters. Best outcome from my point of view... LibNats form government but Turnbull loses his seat. Win/win.

16. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Mal has a 'safe' lib seat. It's extremely unlikely that the Libs would form govt if he lost his seat.

What if he did? Would the monk get another go at PM or who?

17. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

The Libs are very ordinary at the moment but honestly who in their right mind would vote for Shorten?

Sackie and Phar Lap like this.
  18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

Well apparently around 50% of the population atm if you believe the polls.

19. dabbler

Who knows mate, they are not creating storms in tea cups, they are playing to people who would like to cut others down, and frankly I think he has way under performed, clear his hands are tied due to deals to get the job.

I guess we can only hope if he does get in he decides to go for it even if it means only one term, but I think he will fear being knifed as well, a sad situation for us all the last decade.

20. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

See, this is why peoples democratic rights need to be taken away from them.

Skilled_Migrant and Phar Lap like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia