double brick vs framed 2nd storey -WA

Discussion in 'Development' started by Oshawott, 21st Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Oshawott

Oshawott Well-Known Member

just want some thoughts about having double brick all the way vs framed 2nd storey.

a builder that i am considering is strongly insisting that going double brick all the way will improve end value. i understand that Perth has a thing with double bricks but at the same time i feel that changes in that perception has been happening.

in a nutshell, for example, would spending say an extra 15k for double bricks translate to more than 15k gain in end value or just same amount back?- if its going to be roughly same amount back, i think its better to stick to a lower price point.

thanks for your thoughts

2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

I can't see how a double brick wall compared to brick veneer will add value when you will only be seeing the outside face brick anyway (single skin brick wall). It is probably just an easy way for the builder as the Bricky just does all the walls and a carpenter just comes along and puts a top plate on top of the brick wall and does the trusses or conventional roof. Waste of money in my opinion.

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Its honestly not as simple as that. You really need to look at the market you are aiming at, and what else you're competing against. Another factor is whether you're building to sell, or keep or whatever.

Don't underestimate how strong the Perth double brick culture still is at the moment.

MTR, bob shovel and Sackie like this.
  4. Oshawott

Oshawott Well-Known Member

@thatbum can you elaborate what differences both offer when talking about selling and keeping? i would have assumed they are the same (only materially different) in terms of durability/maintainance etc???

5. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Oh I wasn't talking about durability/maintenance - more referring to end value considerations like your builder mentioned.

For example, I went timber frame for my granny flat build since they aren't getting sold anytime soon (or at all really), so I knew double brick wasn't going to be much benefit to a renter's perception.

That's just one example though, like I said, it really depends on your strategy. Some selling strategies might incorporate different materials as well. I have to say though, if I was doing a run-of-the-mill development where I was looking to sell at the end, double brick would be probably the preferred material, unless there was a good reason otherwise.

Kryys likes this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

The build quality is different over west, none of the east coast slap em up brick veneer or cladding stuff.

I checked our a couple of new townhouses just built, 4x2 single story, double brick and internal walls brick too. Something over east would have been slapped up over night without a brick to be seen

If it's to sell you are probably better to go double brick, if it's to hold go timber to save on build costs and won't affect rent return.

Kryys, Oshawott and Brian84 like this.
  7. Brian84

I guess it is different in perth. I was only saying what I would do in sydney.

8. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

People still do brick veneer in 2015? Thats crazy.

Reverse brick veneer is a signifcantly better option, aurely by now people know better?

Then again you do see tiled dark roofs going up...

9. Brian84

You've confused me. Brick veneer is more common in Sydney than double brick. Ahh I sense a bit of sarcasm. Nothing wrong with a dark tiles roof either.

10. sanj

No sarcasm at all. Brick veneer performs significantly worse than reverse brick veneer and dark tile roofs trap and radiate a huge amount of heat into a property. Both are a silly idea in the hot aussie climate.

11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Totally agree Sanj. Trying to meet basix with the wrong materials doesn’t make much financial sense.

12. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

East coast investor here ;-) Are you saying you have brick internal walls and cladded outside walls? Sounds good for a rental, no holes in gyprock walls...... But then painting the outside every 10 years?

13. Brian84

You had here in the first paragraph people still build brick veneer in 2015? 90% of new homes are brick veneer.

People still get dark roofs and install sarking and whirlybird with good batts in the ceiling. Sure it still gets hot but we live in Australia.

14. sanj

Yup brick internal, cladded exterior. Performs heaps better

15. sanj

Just because 90% of people do it doesnt mean its a smart thing to do. Proper insulation should be done regardless but why start on the back foot by getting dark tiles?? It makes no sense and is just lazy

16. Scott No Mates

Nothing wrong with that. If you use coloured acrylic render you won't have to paint.

17. Brian84

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just saying what most people do with new builds

18. Scott No Mates

Just ask a lemming.

19. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Do we have any conspiracy links? East coast - Poor insulation, poor design, reduced design life.... resulting in increased power consumption, increased repairs/maint, increased new builds in near future. Sounds like the east coast economy will keep ticking over nicely! ;) while the west coast sit in their energy efficient houses, with less jobs available!
    My tin foil hat is double wrapped tonight!

Westminster likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

That is exactly right, I am building in Melb double storey townhouses and it is perfectly normal to use brick veneer, foam/render, cladding etc.

.... but Perth we know is another beast, it is automatically a negative unless you target a specific area/location where it wont be an issue, a beach/weekender comes to mind.

MTR:)