Dotted line across the block, what does this mean ?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Jessi, 28th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Hi I'm looking at a property 'lot 31' and on the contract, DP diagram has this dotted line pretty much across the whole block. What does this mean ? Is this a drainage pipe ? Can we build over it ? We are thinking of adding a granny flat onto it for long term investment.

This is what's on the title search

SECOND SCHEDULE (5 NOTIFICATIONS) ---------------

1. 1 RESERVATIONS AND CONDITIONS IN THE CROWN GRANT(S)
    2. 2 540502 LAND EXCLUDES MINERALS AND IS SUBJECT TO RIGHTS TO
      MINE AFFECTING THE PART(S) SHOWN SO BURDENED IN THE
      TITLE DIAGRAM
    3. 3 DP255527 EASEMENT TO DRAIN WATER APPURTENANT TO THE LAND
      ABOVE DESCRIBED
    4. 4 LAND EXCLUDES THE ROAD(S) SHOWN IN THE TITLE DIAGRAM
    5. 5 AI783727 MORTGAGE TO SUNCORP-METWAY LIMITED

Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 4.15.30 pm.png

2. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

There isn't enough detail to advise accurately. It could be a surveyors reference mark or a mark denoting some other restriction as you will note that to the right of every lot that the dotted line passes is the letter (J). There could be some other reference to J on the actual plan of subdivision. The line would not be relevant to the easement to drain water. The easement is located on another allotment (3/255527) and benefits (is appurtenant to) your lot.

bmc and Archaon like this.
  3. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Just adding more details. It seems (J) is talking about 'exceptions of mineral & the rights to mine'. I also attached sydney water diagram. I notice on another page for other lots, where across the street had areas also with (K) (L) notes and seems to also have those dotted lines next to it. Is it something to do with the mining /mineral ? I just want to ensure it is not a council pipe or something that we can't build over it. But seems existing house is built on top of some of the dotted line but that doesn't mean it is all legal.
    Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.31.06 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.36.51 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.37.16 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.24.15 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.25.36 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.38.48 pm.png Screen Shot 2021-06-28 at 5.39.16 pm.png

4. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

In my opinion the dotted line would not denote an easement or pipe. As you mention it appears to reference the exception as to minerals. If you are still concerned you could do an enquiry with Dial Before You Dig which is free.
    OneCall

5. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Land contours

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Line in the sand, I dare you to cross it.

craigc and bmc like this.
  7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

it's not a contour
    its not the drainage easement

it's the delimitation of (J) indicating exception of minerals etc etc and the details are contained in the (dealing) document 540502

you can order this dealing online.

it's possibly the remnants of the old portion boundary - former property boundary - or mining lease prior to subdivision into what exists today.

this is a snap-shot of the parish map (ref U8260-33) (the original is too big to attach)

you would need to trace back through all the subsequent DP's to confirm

your Surveyor can research this and confirm but i don't think it is anything to be concerned about
    unless you kick a gold nugget in the front-yard, then it's not yours.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2021
    spoon and Dan L like this.
  8. Scott No Mates

Most likely to be coal if it's in the Sydney Basin.

bmc likes this.
  9. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

sure is

10. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

The realestate found a granny design person and she advised it is storm water drainage pipe. So we are to build granny avoiding this pipe. So we are not going ahead with it. Seems they interpreted differently. Not sure if they are on the right track but I assume they have seen properties like this before.

11. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

there is no notation for any drainage easement shown on your title affecting your lot.

also apart from not being labelled on the title DP, no pits in the street, it doesn't look like the typical layout for any type of drainage pipe.

do council have any records of any drainage infrastructure ?

anyway, good luck with your search

Dan L likes this.
  12. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Yeah I am confused. The granny person said there is a manhole at the middle of the rear part of the house.Refer to the 2nd last of image (the black one with all the houses. There is a black solid box notation in the middle of the rear house boundary ).I could try to give council a call tomorrow and see if anyone can understand it.

13. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

The Vendor must be ecstatic that their agent has cost them a potential sale through misinformation. The dotted line does not refer to a stormwater drainage pipe . If you are still in doubt, pop into a surveyors office and ask them. Your solicitor or conveyancer should be in a position to clarify as well.

Geelong Cable Locations and bmc like this.
  14. Dan L

Dan L Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

15. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

this is the sewer diagram. it shows the private connection layout into the boards sewer.

there's no stormwater drainage pipe on this sketch.

i can see the sewer manhole out front on street view. (has a pot plant on it)

depending on where you plan building the granny flat - will determine if you need (most likely) to re-lay the rear connection points.

if you're keen on this place talk to some relevant professionals.

Attached Files:

Last edited: 29th Jun, 2021
  16. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Yeah, the more I look at it, the more I think you are right. It seems to be the boundary line to indicate where (J)starts. Looking at other lots on the same diagram also had J on one side and K on the other side. I will try to speak to a surveyor.

I want to build it around the rear. Probably taken that current rear garage out.
    2CD8A34F-6CA1-4C4D-A529-36ACCD6272B9.jpeg

17. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

if you don't have anyone in mind, you could try the surveyor that did the subdivision plan.
    his name will be in the surveyors certificate panel near were he signed it.
    i'm guessing the plan was done late 70's early 80's so he's probably still around.
    (but any surveyor could confirm with all the information at hand)

usually a purchaser would get an Identification Report survey done. this would explain all about the lot.
    but some people don't get this done anymore. (don't want to pay for the service)

Last edited: 30th Jun, 2021
  18. Scott No Mates

Also a reflection on how good a job surveyors have done in the past ;) & the confidence buyers have in the TT system of land registration.

(You've put yourselves out of a task).

19. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

i don't need anymore work.
    i'm too busy monitoring sinking buildings ;)

Scott No Mates likes this.
  20. Jessi

Jessi Active Member

Good to know about the identification survey report. 1st time I've heard of it. I think I will give this property a miss. All these infos are certainly valuable for my next purchase. Thanks guys.

bmc likes this.