Door Knocking? Letter Drops?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by SerenityNow, 29th Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. the world is your oyster

the world is your oyster Well-Known Member

Or door knock and talk direct
    And then hand a letter with what you have to offer or what you are looking for

2. Syd00

Syd00 Member

We have been looking for quite a while now to buy a small family home to live in, in a specific area in Sydney that has very low stock on the market. We already live in the suburb in a unit.

I am thinking of letterbox dropping to see if anyone will sell their house. I know the response rate is going to be very low.

I'm willing to pay market value, and abit more for the right home.... how we will work out the price I don't know.

Does anyone have any letters that they would like to share that have worked for them? Any tips? Am I completely wasting my time lol?

Also, I have met afew downsizers who have stayed in the area I.e have sold their house and bought a unit here. Units in this suburb are very popular for downsizers. As I need to sell my place to help finance the purchase, is it worth mentioning in the letter that I own a unit that would be perfect for a downsizer if interested ... I am thinking perhaps maybe an older couple or person wanting to sell their home to buy and live in a unit may want to go about it privately, with a mutually agreed settlement period and without use of agents. Or, should I not mention my unit, and keep it strictly a letter about wanting to buy?

Thanks.

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I would mention the unit, because that might suit a downsizer.

4. Syd00

Syd00 Member

Thanks wylie. Trying to keep the letter as short as possible, however i do think it's worth mentioning that.

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I agree about mentioning the place you want to sell, because I think you'll come across as more genuine and serious in finding a property than with any generic letter. You might get more attention that way.

Ps. My aunt bought her place as a result of letter box dropping her favourite street back in the early/mid 80's - good luck!

6. Daniel Gray

Daniel Gray Member

How did you construct your letter?

7. Daniel Gray

Daniel Gray Member

Hi All,

I commented on a similar post but thought I'd post here too.
    I am looking to do a letterbox drop for a house to knockdown/rebuild in my area. I have seen some templates before which are fantastic.

The key questions I have are:
    1. Should I state a price.
    I can give an accurate price, at or slightly above market value. I believe this would gain interest.
    2. Should I use an agent or go on my own.
    Individual = personal, agent = professional. What agent fees would they even have if any if they weren't using an agent to sell?
    3. Should I include a picture of me and my partner.
    I get the sentiment, but does it make any difference.
    4. Should I get a solicitor to draw up the letter?
    Or just wait to involve them when I have a keen seller.
    5. Should I track down the details of landlords and mail the letter to them?
    Or is this a privacy invasion, and I suppose investors already have their own plans.

Any advice is welcomed and much appreciated.

Daniel.

8. Daniel Gray

Daniel Gray Member

Did you put a price on your letter, or mention anything about an offer?

9. Daniel Gray

Daniel Gray Member

10. Daniel Gray

Daniel Gray Member

11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

No. Just let them know I'm interested and would love to have a chat when them.