Door knob removal-no visible screws

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by ellejay, 27th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I want to remove the lose door knob in the photo but there are no visible screws. I was told by a staff member at Bunnings to just twist and it comes off, but I tried this and it doesn't come off. There doesn't seem to be any access from the latch side either. 20160824_102307.jpg

2. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Have tried twisting one side clockwise and the anti clockwise at the same time as I think the door knob will have a centre screw to hold them together..that's my guess

ellejay likes this.
  3. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

The gold plate will unscrew anti cllockwise releasing the handle, which should then come off leaving the plate and spindle.

4. ellejay

We tried both of these, the screws are loose inside so trying to get the door knob off to tighten it. Very stubborn door knob. I'll post another photo in a sec.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

As DaveM said...unscrew the cover plate. Hardest part is getting a grip on it.

There is a youTube video showing this.
    Yours might be different, but should get you started....

6. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

+1 for youtube.. there is a video for almost everything. I would use it four or five times a week I reckon. Not even sure how things got done before youtube

Dean Collins and vtt like this.
  7. ellejay

Thanks very much, we did look at that previously but it's not the same. We're renting the house out next week so will have to leave it for the maintenance guy to sort out. Really annoying door knob. :mad:

8. Username86

That's strange my last place had the exact same door knobs. Just had to hold the knob and turn the gold bit and it would come undone.

9. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

The 'Reader's Digest Complete Guide to Home Improvement' in my case. Brilliant. Covers all kinds of things, from building to curtain making to concreting. My copy is from 1988. (From a public library book sale)

I also bought an older version from an op shop last year on household repair and maintenance - originally published in 1972. Needless to say, I ignore the advice on sawing asbestos. No safety warnings!

But it does have advice on everything from repairing watches, typewriters, lighters, fountain pens etc in addition, to the usual house Reno information.

I also really like the more recent 'Bunnings Warehouse Home Improvement Handy Hints'. Full of excellent and unusual hints.

WattleIdo likes this.
  10. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Another suggestion - just in case it applies (copied from the Internet):

Locate the hole on the doorknob shaft, insert a small flat-head screwdriver and press inward to release the doorknob. It will now pull easily out of place. If the hole is round and will not accommodate a screwdriver, insert a straightened wire clothes hanger, awl or ice pick into the hole and press inward.

Remove the rose cover -- the round metal piece that surrounds the shaft mechanism -- from the door by inserting a small flat-head screwdriver underneath the cover where it meets the door. Pry gently outward and the rose cover will slide off the shaft. Some rose covers -- also called rosettes -- feature a small opening to aid in removal. Inspect yours to see if an opening is present and use the opening for screwdriver insertion.

Remove the rose -- the round metal section behind the rose cover -- by inserting a screwdriver into one of the two screws and turning counterclockwise. Repeat for the remaining screw and the opposite door knob assembly will now pull easily out of the door.

ellejay likes this.
  11. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Have you tried holding the door handle on one side still and unscrewing the backing plate on the other side ? I have a similar doorhandle and this works provided you try unscrewing the correct side. It works on one side but not the other side...

ellejay and Joynz like this.
  12. ellejay

Thanks Joynz and Jacqui. We'll give both of those suggestions a try.

13. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Have you looked at the knob from below - there may be a hex screw

Dean Collins and JacM like this.
  14. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

Just purchase a captive bolt pistol from your local hardware store and reenact how the villain removed the door knob from the movie No Country for Old Men.

ellejay likes this.
  15. ellejay

Thanks guys, it's off now, just needed more elbow grease.

JacM, Brian84, Perthguy and 1 other person like this.
  16. Dean Collins

Dean Collins Well-Known Member

lol or a hacksaw.....only costs $20 for a new one at Bunnings when it finally does your head in
    :)

ellejay likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Aisle 14 in Bunnies -between the left handed screw drivers and cordless hammers.

JacM, ellejay and Chrispy like this.
  18. Username86

Haha I accidentally locked myself out of the house once and my angle grinder was still out from some work I was doing earlier. Less than a minute.. back inside.

ellejay and Dean Collins like this.
  19. DamnDoorknobs

DamnDoorknobs New Member

Hey there, i have the exact same door knob that you had trouble with but I have no clue how to separate the inner gold plate (that is keeping the screws from falling out) and the outer gold plate.
    You said that you just needed more elbow grease but in what way did you use more "elbow grease"?

ellejay likes this.
  20. ellejay

Struggling to remember now but the barrel eventually unscrewed to release the handle. A lot of fiddling with it payed off.

I can see from your user name that your door knob is a real stubborn bugger too! Best of luck, never give in :D