Door Jamb advice needed – PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by robbie_p, 4th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. robbie_p

robbie_p Well-Known Member

Hi All,

I am busy renovating my bathroom and noticed that the one side of the door jamb was split and the bottom had started rotting (perhaps from an old leak), so I removed that side. See attached

The other side of the door jamb is perfectly fine, so im not sure what to do, keeping I mind I have never fitted a door jamb before. My options are:

1: Only repair one side ( with the damaged door jamb), keep good side as is.

2: Replace the entire door jamb (buy a kit?)

3: Get someone in to do it for me (about $350-400).

The size of the current door (currently still hanging) is 2050mm x 720mm x 35mm

The size of the door frame (excluding door jambs) is about 2065mm x 780mm x 90mm

If I were to do it myself, I have no idea where to start… PLEASE HELP! :)

Cheers,

Robbie

Attached Files:

2. robbie_p

Added to the above, i am more than happy to give it a go myself (always love learning to skills), provided its not too difficult and worth the effort doing myself v the cost of paying someone else to do it for me.

3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

At a guess from the pics you've already taken some off?
    Remove whatever lengths need replacing, pull the nails, measure the width and depth of a piece, get as close as you can from hardware, doesn't matter if a little wider/narrower, square cut to length allowing 5mm off floor, nail pin it with the inside edge (closest to the door) lined up where the old one came off.

4. robbie_p

Should i use liquid nails to fasten the jambs where i cant use a nail gun?

5. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Sorry, yes always glue, minimal though.
    Also, punch the nail heads in slightly, depends how fussy you are if you fill-em before paint/stain

6. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

If your going to have a crack at it yourself then watch this video first. He is good at explaining how to do it.

If your going to just fix it then always remember do your best and gap the rest :D:D

7. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Pity you aren't in brissy. I have a few hundred door jams under the house that I picked up off of grays online for stuff all. I use them for everything now, just to try and use them up. Skirting, mouldings, etc... :)

8. robbie_p

So the verdict is too just replace the damaged jambs? Currently the jambs of the side and top have been removed, should i keep the good side in tact (and work around good jambs) or just take it all out and start from beginning?

9. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

Start from scratch and just replicate the old jamb.

10. robbie_p

Yeh i might just replace the whole thing!

The problem with my current door jambs is that they are not a solid strip of timber, but 2 strips of timber (sides and top)with a gap between them, so there are quite a few "moving parts"... not sure why it was done this way? Probably to save a little on timber costs?

11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If this is above ground then it may need to re level the floor,because door jams only jam when one side drops,if it's on a slab well then just rip it all up and re level the base..imho..

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Usually a single piece of timber.

[​IMG]

13. robbie_p

Not quite sure what you mean here? Is this the reason for there being 2 separate jambs per side vs a single solid jamb?

The bathroom floor is slightly higher than the hallway floor, maybe 1-2cm

14. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

You really are in a jamb! :p

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Is this on a slab,or above ground ,the best way is what Scott said just use one single timber,level the base then reset the door..

16. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

What are people going on about?

The floor needs to drop... is it a slab... etc...

You dont even need to replace both sides. You buy a 90mm or a 110mm or a 140mm wide door jam that is 20mm thick and 2040mm tall. You nail it to the wall with lots of nails or a few nails and a bit of liquid nails. Then you get a 30mm by 12mm thick timber 2040mm long and nail that to the timber you just put in so that the door has something to close against. Then you notch out the hole for the door latch and screw on the latch plate.

This is a 10 min job.

Im really confused by everyones replies.

Are people getting confused between a door jam and a door sill?

robbie_p likes this.
  17. Scott No Mates

Jam contains sugar, fruit, water & pectin - no confusion whatsoever.

Windows have sills, doors have thresholds. Even less confusion.

A jamb is generally a single piece of timber which is milled to a profile with a rebate for the door to sit flush. You generally don't build up a section of jamb from two pieces of timber.

The jamb doesn’t sit flush with the studwork as it will need to be packed out so that it's plumb. (Nor do you nail it to the wall).

18. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

"doorsill - the sill of a door; a horizontal piece of wood or stone that forms the bottom of a doorway and offers support when passing through a doorway".

If youve built a door jam in the last 70 years you do it the way I said. Im literally looking at a 100 year old door jam and a 10 year old door jam in front of me while I write this. The door jam kits from bunnings even have the 30mm bits of timber that you nail onto the other timber.

Are you really saying you shouldnt nail the timber to the stud?

I dont pack the jam I plain them down, packing is a bit slack.

Seems like youre splitting hairs here. The poor guy that asked the question isnt going to know what to think.

19. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Back to jam, I do like a strawberry and blueberry jam.I usually run 1kg fruit to a touch under 1kg sugar, vanilla essence or a bean for good luck. Chop up and boil to a mush. Then into jars to make the cwa ladies proud

Scott No Mates likes this.
  20. Scott No Mates