Dont need to lodge ? Think again.

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul@PAS, 8th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

For years the ATO keep telling people that tax returns may go the way of the dinosaur, that fewer people need to lodge.

But that's not quite true. There are many people who may benefit from lodging even if they have low incomes.....

https://www.ato.gov.au/Tax-professi...me-earners-may-need-to-lodge/?tpissue-26-2015

Also add to that :
    - Taxpayers who had no TFN withholding tax deducted from dividends or interest;
    - Taxpayers who received fully franked dividend income or trust distributions with tax credits

But MyTax isn't working, and they may need to use that horrid mygov service which is compulsory this year. Beware....Once you register even your tax agent wont receive correspondence they send. Such as the Notice Of Assessment. All you get is a sms telling you to login to mygov. Using a difficult password that you cant reset to one you prefer. [Rant ends]

380, MRO and EN710 like this.
  2. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    Weren't you ranting about the same thing over on SS? ;)

Seriously though, I find MyGov portal a very easy way to access various govt agencies.

3. Paul@PAS

People are just realising its limits. Last year they sucked people in and now the lessons are being learned. You now wont get mail. When your bank asks for a copy of your notice of assessment you may question where it went. Its like they realised stamps cost $ and built a poor deliver system.

Older people are getting dodgy looking sms messages saying you own $X to the ATO. It looks like a email scam. Meanwhile they don't know why they have a debt cause the assessments aren't received.

I have one tax client who unsubscribed herself to our firm so ATO imposed late lodgement penalties. Just because medibank told her she needed to use online services. She used ATO to validate identity and that caused her to lose agent extended lodgement concessions.

Mygov and mytax have spent the better part of the past week inoperable as demand exceeds capacity.

Some centrelink letters aren't being mailed.

Its Mr Fluffy and insulation batts all over again. Poorly conceived rollout.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

It is a bit buggy. Tried to log in yesterday and all the website gave me is Runtime error.
    Logged in today and checked eTax. My tax agent address is still there as postal so I assume there won't be any issue.

5. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I cant remember all the passwords. Etax used to be simply although slightly annoying. Now they force you to have MyGov - which i hate.

In protest i lodge a paper return. If more people lodge by paper in protest the ATO will have change their ways.

6. Paul@PAS

Paper....a 50 day processing time is the service standard

Um bad news. 2015 is the last year for taxpayer paper I forms. This year they must be ordered from ATO and newsagents "tax pack" has been withdrawn. 2015 is also the last year of etax.

2016 its all supposed to be online using a new system. A better version of myTax.

7. BennEznElle

BennEznElle Well-Known Member

2015 is the last year for eTax as well. MyTax is going to be expanded so that anyone can lodge via MyTax

8. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

I logged onto mytax today, it says I haven't lodged my tax return for when I was 16 & 17.

9. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

This is for people without accountants right? I never have to join this nasty interweb tax thingy? Sounds stressful.

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Are you just 18 now?

Were you working then?

11. rhinsor

rhinsor Well-Known Member

No this was back about 2000,2001.
    I can't remember if I was or not

12. Paul@PAS

Many young people get this arrears issue. Agents see it but those without agents don't. Call ATO and they can check if you did have employment income in those years...Or get a tax agent who can also check.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia