Don't Buy Property in 2019

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 23rd Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. property world

property world Well-Known Member

So in some sort of lamen terms what are Labor likely to introduce if they get into government?

Abolishment of NG benefits ?

What are the possible changes to Capital gains tax?

2. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Domain is not a real estate research company domain consistently posts exaggerated positive articles about the state of the market. It's so obvious to everyone that it even gets joked about

Sackie, kingstreet75 and Foxdan like this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

some very interesting and convincing arguments posted here,

it seems that at this stage of every cycle, you have true experts giving their opinion, you also have the attention whore so called experts giving theirs, and you have expert investors giving their opinion too

I feel that if there were true experts theyd get it right 9 out of 10 times, the fact that they dont , I feel its a anything could happen and no one really knows or can predict

One thing for sure is that there is not going to be a boom in the next couple of years, it wil be a downward trend, and the only ifs are how much and how long

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2018
    TAJ, iloveqld, Archaon and 2 others like this.
  4. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Assume you have to pay P&I . Only buy something you can afford to hold under those conditions. Forget booms... the only way booming prices can return in the near term is a reversal of assessment rate and living expense policies . Otherwise it’s going to take years . A modest easing of the policies won’t kick start a boom ... it will just ease the price declines ... it will require a reversal , or almost complete reversal of servicing calc policies to get things going again. Otherwise it’s going to take years. This is why speculative mindsets on these forums are almost certainly kidding themselves . Cash flow / debt reduction / holding power are the things you want in these times, friends. This isn’t particularly 2019 advice . It’s been the same advice since 2016/17. It’s just that those ahead of the curve are only just having the herd and it’s sentiment catch up to what’s been a clear reality for 3years +

Last edited: 29th Dec, 2018
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There is a thread I started some time ago

I think its....”screw investors”.....search

property world likes this.
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Seriously who cares? Its not a matter of who is right or who is wrong....

You say Anything could happen, but its already happening?????? Its not guess work

Its about being able to mitigate current risks, very simple.... interest loans converting to interest and principal... tack 40% on your loans. Prices are falling, will rents fall?yes, if we have oversupply

So how are you placed??? That simple are you over leveraged?? If you can not service debt then you need to deleverage

ollidrac nosaj, iloveqld and Whitecat like this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

My situation is irrelevant

Anything could happen. Some scenarios are more possible than others.

For me, since i dont have a crystal ball, it is about making up my mind what will happen, so i can plan

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  8. kingstreet75

kingstreet75 Well-Known Member

Or Like Warren Buffet, be born into a senatorial family, with a father who owns a brokerage. o_O
    Is 2019 the year to buy? Depends what you are buying for. I know in regional areas like Warrnambool the rental market is very hot. Just not enough stock ( according to one real estate agent ). I do know in a town of 30,000 people there are only 10 properties for rent under 250 dollars a week. Ballarat rentals are also hard to get, and Geelong. That situation is not going to change for a while. I can't see a house in Geelong losing much value over the next long term.

Toon and MikeyBallarat like this.
  9. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Clearly not a buy since there are still people on this forum thinking of buying

muller23 likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Good post

markets in Syd and Melb peaked in around 2016.

11. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

I think according to data. Most of Sydney peaked in mid 2017. I was on the ground in both 16/17 and 17 was still hot in the area's where I was looking.

kierank and Someguy like this.
  12. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Yeah seems about right for parts of Sydneys west early 17 there was still plenty of confidence from buyers and sellers, sentiment seemed to turn around mid 17.

13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I haven’t been watching the Sydney nor Melbourne market for some time.

From memory, I thought CoreLogic reported that Sydney peaked in July 2017 and Melbourne peaked in November 2017.

14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Look at this chart for Syd, need to check out Melb… clearance rates dropped in 2016.
    How they classify peak not sure? probably need consequative monthly falls.??

[​IMG]

15. Illusivedreams

Dropped in 15

Government lowered rates

Clarence rate spiked again in 16 falling mid 17

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am reading it different to you at 2016.... I think investors probably should have been out of this market around this time, IMHO..... but there will always be exceptions of course.

17. Illusivedreams

I

But what investors are doing and the fact the peaked was 2017 are two different things.

kierank likes this.
  18. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

yep

19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Lindeman's argument … its going to be a little blip and then boom again, I am not buying for one minute, its crazy talk. He forgot about the issue of housing affordability and house hold income and debt (link attached, some sobering facts)

He also has a vested interest on minimising what is actually quite serious scenario at the moment. Its part of the downturn, and they last longer than boom cycles, history proves this one.

In terms of rents increasing, no idea? but this will come back to supply vs demand and for what product??

The housing boom is over and we are in huge danger if the economic tide turns | Greg Jericho