Don't Buy Property in 2019

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 23rd Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. SMTY

SMTY Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes, these will probably be in the burbs, land and house packages? cash flow positive because of depreciation, however if you are expecting growth when there is currently oversupply then you will be waiting a long time. Just what I see in the Perth market.
    If there are other markets then all good and well, but I would not be parking money in an asset when I cant see growth in current climate.

Just my thoughts on this

Whitecat likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So now perhaps its time for the patient mindset

7 Mindsets That Will Radically Improve Your Life Right Now

. Patient mindset.
    There's a fine line between moving forward and standing still. The most successful people do all they can to move forward, but they also have the patience to wait and watch. Those who are impatient tend to lose out on great opportunities. Sometimes you have to wait for the right thing.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I will still be buying for me and for my clients but they will be in specific areas and equity will be forced out via renovations, subdivisions and new builds.

Some of the patient mindset is a must for the Perth market as it can take awhile to find the right buy that meets a conservative criteria. It can take 1-3mths to find a profitable development site whereas clients that are used to looking for a buy and hold IP might be able to find them quicker as the criteria and supply is a lot different.

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Nope does not work in Perth...more infill where you are getting 5% plus about 100k in equity....

JohnPropChat likes this.
  6. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Hi Sash, any examples you care to share? Just interested to know. Thanks.

7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sorry..I am looking at these areas....at the moment.... ;)

8. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

No drama :)

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Great
    But I assume you can not sell as the numbers wont stack up after all costs??

So its add value, access equity and hold??

10. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

On current trends Sydney might drop 7% by the end of first QTR or mid year..
    Its going to be a pretty big year for those migrating from IO to P&I.

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

But bust cycles last more than a quarter last boom bust cycle in Sydney was 7 years.

We dont know how much it will drop, it will be dependent on product and area how far it drops , one shoe does not fit all

12. Guest

Guest Guest

Could do, maybe I should have used a city other than Sydney to make my point ;) (which was primarily meant to be that Labor's policy changes might be one reason to consider buying in 2019, though not necessarily in Sydney).

Last edited by a moderator: 25th Dec, 2018
  13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

No these have to stack up as selling as well as everyone needs an exit plan if their circumstances change but some will chose not to and also hang in there for some additional CG as the Perth market picks up.

I meant that we'll be forcing out growth/equity via other means, not waiting for the market to rise.

JohnPropChat and Perthguy like this.
  14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

@sash New Builds or existing? ;)

15. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

Hi All, my partner and I recently split. He is very keen to sell our PPOR in Chermside West. He wants to list ASAP. Reading these posts makes me very, very nervous about selling as I know it’s the worst time. But, do I attempt to buy him out and service a huge mortgage by myself with the hope of selling down the track at a better time? And maintain a large family home full of memories by myself? Or do I cut my losses, take the hit and downsize to a more manageable place by myself? My current dilemma :(

16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm continuing to reno, develop and hopefully buy another site soon. 2020 will be a Syd market deal galore in certain areas so can't wait for that. Also Perth blue chip with add value on the radar . Exciting times ahead .

jefn89 and Starbright like this.
  17. GX1

GX1 Member

Hi Mel, I recently met a lady in a similar position to you. However, she lived in inner Melbourne. Splitting with husband. Her home was listed for auction, her and her ex were wanting $1,300,000. The auctioned was held but the highest they were offered was $1,000,000. The woman in this situation did not want to take a $300,000 loss. So she arranged to buy out her husband's share of the house, instead of letting someone else buy the home at this price. Obviously, when she originally purchased this property with her husband, they didn't pay anywhere near $1,000,000. The price had increased over the years compared to their initial purchase price.

She is now using Airbnb to hire out empty rooms in the house to help her pay the cost of mortgage. She thinks she got a bargain. Husband likely thinks he is getting market price regardless, although I don't know him personally.

I think you need to consider how much the house is worth today, and how much you paid for it originally. How long have you lived there for? What kind of mortgage can you afford to service? Do you see yourself finding a new partner in future? Unfortunately I know little about your area, so can't comment on the market in your area.

MissMel likes this.
  18. sash

sash Well-Known Member

New psuedo development

Redwing likes this.
  19. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

@MissMel
    I don't know that market well or your exact position but it's important to remember that you're going to be selling and then buying in the same market. So if the market moves you'll get some gains either with your current property or new one.

You may potentially get more gains with your current home, as it is worth more, but how you stated about trying to service a large mortgage by yourself it does sound a little stressful.

The real costs would be selling costs and then stamp duty on your new purchase.

It's a personal choice, all the best!

MissMel and SMTY like this.
  20. MissMel

MissMel Well-Known Member

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.