Don't Buy Property in 2019

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 23rd Dec, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I bumped this thread so we could discuss why the Syd and Melb has bounced back.
    Other markets are not doing as well, something to think about

Back your comments........

Now you are being seriously silly

Have you read the thread on predictions for Brisbane lately..... I think been going to boom since 2016. Should we shame and blame cos they got it wrong

Please remember its a forum, we don’t shoot people for having an opinion and we should never hold other people accountable for our own investment decisions

Last edited: 3rd Dec, 2019
  2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Google works FOMO Fear of missing out

MTR and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  3. Mr Burns

Mr Burns Well-Known Member

I'm guessing they are increasing due to rate cuts and relaxed lending standards. Other capital cities aren't affected as much as they aren't as expensive.

Kapot, Kelvin Cunnington and MTR like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I will speak for Perth, the market has been a basket case for quite some time, all due to the fact that we no longer have mining

Our economy in WA is suffering same as business

Lots of threads on Perth market, but there is still oversupply in burbs and apartments

Inner city period homes selling but price sensitive

No interest rate drop
    Can help this market. We need jobs

Kapot and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

If it's not wage growth, population growth or under supply. What is the reason for increases in Sydney and Melbourne?

Once all the "average" home buyers max out borrowing then they can't pay more so won't prices level out again ?

Relaxed lending critiea and rate cuts. Seems to me to be related to FOMO.

I think Perth. Many have been sitting waiting. Seen increase in Eastern States. A little FOMO and Perth gets a 0.4% increase in house price this month. Next few months will be interesting for Perth

Kapot, MTR and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  6. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Dead cat bounce thinker here.. except dragged out over a few years.

Unless we can expect a disconnect in price performance between apartments vs. houses with a land component. If this disconnect happens, land will become increasingly unaffordable whilst apartments have a dead cat bounce.

MTR likes this.
  7. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

Personally, I'm interested in Perth, seems you can get some cashflow neutral deals not far from the city centre...

8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

You can definitely do this, but it will come down to whether you see some good fundamentals moving forward that will bring this market back to life.

Blue chip high end has suffered the most IMO, this market has done nothing since 2007 when it crashed. In saying this a great time to upgrade your primary residence. Inner city areas, western suburbs some great buying here.

9. Chabs

Chabs Well-Known Member

When compared to Sydney, it seems like Perth has more room to grow, whilst minimising your cashflow costs/risks. I could be wrong, however it might be something to look at considering how heated Sydney is again, it doesn't need more portfolio exposure, diversity may help. It also helps if price negotiations are made easier due to a softer market!

It looks like some people must surely agree, glancing at RE.com and theres quite a few listings with the "Under Offer" tag.

MTR likes this.
  10. Bargain Hunter

Bargain Hunter Well-Known Member

Perhaps it’s a dead cockroach bounce, they can survive a nuclear winter and live without a head for ages.

{Note from mods - this thread continues here: Don't Buy Property in 2020}

Last edited by a moderator: 14th Mar, 2020
    Someguy and C-mac like this.