‘Don’t buy $19 smashed avocado’: Tim Gurner

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Sackie, 15th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Home ownership is not a right, its an achievement. It takes a lot of hard work, personal sacrifices and adjusted expectations. Being able to 'own' your home/unit and repay a mortgage should be achievable for most people. If investors can have upwards of 10 properties then surely most people can manage to get 1. It may not be 100% where they want it or perfect in every way - but its a home and a step up on the ladder. You can't expect to fully enjoy your 20s, 30s etc and then suddenly want to buy a home wherever you think you deserve it with no sacrifice. That's fantasy. There is a reason why property prices are going up in most desirable places - that's because they are desirable! They cant suddenly become undesirable and prices reverse 50%. You want prices to hit **** bottom? Then Australia first has to become a **** country where people don't want to flock to creating the demand. Good luck with that happening.

Stop with the holidays, cigs,, booz, shopping, dinners and start saving to buy your first modest place. You don't want to sacrifice? fine. Then rent. Home ownership in the most desirable places around Australia is NOT a right. It never was nor was it ever 'easy' or without sacrifice. It's something earned with much sacrifice along the way. I don't see this ever changing.

Just my opinion.

Last edited: 17th May, 2017
    Lions4Eva, TMNT, Eric Wu and 9 others like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Wow. Tim Gurner has invoked the wrath of The Chaser (I don't get satire)... I see my Facebook feeds of my friends (even at my age) driving new european cars, holidaying in US, Tokyo, Europe etc...and they are not millennials and certainly not millionaires. The millennials on my Facebook feeds are enjoying life..no doubt about it...something Grounds of Alexandria with the pigs...cronuts, jamie oliver...the tea room etc... what do you see on your Facebook feeds?

Eric Wu and legallyblonde like this.
  4. Guest

Guest Guest

cc @tommo c

upload_2017-5-22_11-12-38.png

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
    Kevvy7 and tommo c like this.
  5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

$19 is about right for Hobart

pippen likes this.
  7. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Touche! :p

In all honesty I don't know how most young people can even afford it on a regular basis.......I'm sure i have a little more wealth than most of them and even I would think twice about paying those exorbitant prices for avocado on toast. Surely someone trying to save for their first home..common sense would dictate that smashed Avo is off the menu for the time being....

TMNT likes this.
  8. Guest

Guest Guest

Everything is cheaper in Adelaide, snapped this in January:

[​IMG]

tommo c likes this.
  9. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

I don't have a facebook feed. Facebook is a portal to hell.. :p
    The Chaser is a very poor attempt at undergrad satire. I found them mildly amusing at first (some 10-15 years ago), and now I just think they're sad (with a few funny moments here and there)

Decent Australian satire came from the likes of Paul McDermott and Good News Week in its ABC years.. and even Chris Lilley's mockumentaries (I wasn't a huge fan, but still far better than what the Chaser comes up with). The Colbert report and SNL are/were my fav US sources of satirical comedy. :)

ps - apologies for the mini-rant.. :oops:

larrylarry likes this.
  10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Sweet.. let me just book my airfare so I can cash-in! :)
    Actually my local café was advertising the same recently for about 8.50.. not bad for Perth. Coffee is still $4 though....

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Oct, 2021
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

i agree, im not as poor as some of these youngsters but I would balk at $25 for breakfast for a simple avo and toast,

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

exactly, you start having too high expectiations its going to cause you a lot of grief,

I think its imbedded into our culture and psyche to think home owner ship is a right as well as high priority in life as well as a sign of stability

that being said the deposit % required as a % of income is higher than it was 20 years ago....

but its a balance of priorites as well

without people sepdning $25 for breakfast then most cafes would be out of business, no cafes, les causal work for youngsters, which means a move towards a recession.

Iguess its all part of the cycle that keeps the wheels oiled

Sackie likes this.