Donations

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by Shahin_Afarin, 21st Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Many professionals donate time to good causes. Its often the silent cost they appreciate. Im a Catholic lad who recently gave generous time to a Islamic faith charity that helps women escape violence. Sometimes money is easy to value but generosity can take many forms.

Teach a person to fish and they can feed the village....

larrylarry, sanj and Property Twins like this.
  2. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

My preferred local charities are those who support the homeless - we are fortunate enough to be able to afford more houses than we need, I like to give to those who support people who don't even have one home to live in.

Brian84, TheGreenLeaf and trinity168 like this.
  3. Liberator

Liberator Member

I support a range of local charities both financially and with volunteer hours but internationally my favourite one is A Well-Fed World. Their Ethiopian School Lunch program currently has a matching grant available up to a $100K target (USD - Donations are tax deductible in the US). http://awfw.org/ethiopian-school-lunch/
    And their 'Financials' page states "Thanks in part to our donated office space and internet, our combined overhead and fundraising costs are less than 5%. The result is that more of your donation goes directly to programs. In particular cases, 100% of funds are sent directly to the projects in need"
    http://awfw.org/financials/

Great work Sim in including a Philanthropy section here!

4. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

There's a fair bit of money around these parts, let's aim higher. 20k? I'll kick it off with $500

380 likes this.
  5. 380

380 Well-Known Member

good on you @sanj

That's nice of you!!!! and good way to kick off this great cause

@Shahin_Afarin ... let;s set it up!

6. Truly Exotic

Truly Exotic Well-Known Member

If I became a squillionarie, id go around setting up animal refuses and orphanages all around the world as a daily job

now, I just sleep better at night with my minimal monthly animal donation , whilst thinking "ill bet the actual animals wont see very much of it"

7. b7277

b7277 Active Member

Good initiative @Shahin_Afarin

Another way to help would be to organize sessions for people and educate them on how to manage their loans and finances. Lot of relationships break because of this. Could target a suburb per month (maybe a lot). Hold seminars only for residents of that suburb. From the seminars we could also pick a family and work with them and they can share the knowledge to rest of the residents in that suburb. Something on those lines.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  8. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

A few,

Every Greyhound gets a monthly donation, ASRC gets one as well.

Through work we also do donations in kind for some registered charities. Smaller, local based ones that people donate their time too, not ones run as a business if that makes sense. If they need an expansion, fitout of a new facility etc we do the drawings and DA Package as a donation or at a heavily reduced rate. I think we are up to around 8k this financial year.

Was doing mentoring for The Smith Family, but dropped by the wayside. Need to pick it up again next year.

b7277 likes this.
  9. hozi

hozi Well-Known Member

A group of friends and myself run an annual garage sale that raises between $8000 to $10000.
    Monies is donated to various overseas children charities like a slum school in India, room to read, Aussies for orphans and also Hamlin Fistula organisation.

We also do afternoon teas, clothes swap parties, book swap parties to raise funds. People pay to attend these events held at people's homes and all proceeds go to charities. This year so far we have raised nearly $16000 from these events.

We have started an initiative called WISEKIDS World (http://wisekidsworld.com).

The idea here is also to get our kids involved. They help by sourcing goods for the garage sale, helping out at the BBQ, distributing flyers etc

We are always looking for donated goods and the sale is held end March/beginning April

Happy to hear any other ideas from PC membersl

Gockie likes this.
  10. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

hi @hozi , which part of Sydney do you run the garage sales at?

11. hozi

hozi Well-Known Member

Hi

The garage sale is held in Beecroft Scout Hall

12. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

I think donating time can be more valuable than simply parting with cash. As long as your fit or suitable for the tasks.

I've recently joined at Johns ambulance WA as a volunteer ambulance officer. I'm not sure if anyone is aware what happens in regional wa but this is the job of a paramedic but voluntary! In qld NSW they usually had paramedics in town but out here its volunteers. And it's not just handing out water or band aids at the footy,it's priority 1 call outs so dead or near dead stuff! Pretty full on for people to jump in after 3 days training! (then a few hrs /mth).

It should be very interesting and rewarding work but it won't be easy!

AndrewTDP likes this.
  14. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

I donate monthly to plan international.

15. Greyghost

Greyghost Well-Known Member

What it is the point in having if you cannot give?

Like everything in life, you should ask yourself not what can people do for me, but what value can I give to others.. That is the meaning of a fullfilling life!

MTR likes this.
  16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Patamea and Brian84 like this.
  17. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

i give to a Cambodian charity call "Connecting Hands Cafe"- set up by 2 Aussie ladies...my friend flies there annually...

They employ and house 8 young girls who have been trafficked..teach them life skills (google Tripadvisor for their cafe)Connecting Hands Training Cafe, Phnom Penh - Restaurant Reviews, Phone Number & Photos - TripAdvisor

Sidenote:if you visit the cafe in Phnom Penh pls note the grill/oven is donated by me!

Pls consider donating: all monies zoom straight into the cafe to rescue more young girls (1 in 4 girls in Cambodia are sold to sexual slavery usually by their own family as young as 8 often suffering life long injuries)
    Connecting Hands

larrylarry likes this.
  18. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

This is a preposterous statement!

19. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

Care to meet Frances my friend?

20. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

We provide our clients with the opportunity to select their own investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities. We provide the research to ensure your selections will achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.