Donating shares

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Paul@PAS, 15th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Had a recent client enquiry. His shares have dropped below marketable value and have little value to trade. So he asked - Can I donate them.

My firts thought was delisted.com.au but they now charge a fee to take on shares. Then I found ShareGift Australia

This is a FREE service with a few limits but not many. In return for a gift you get a deductible gift, no brokerage and a CGT loss based on the value of the gift given as the sale proceeds.

Shares must not be suspended or delisted however.

gman65, Shazz@, Islay and 3 others like this.
  2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

I know Telstra donates fractional shares, not sure who else

The way this non-profit uses technology and innovation to transform lives is the reason why we at Telstra selected the Summer Foundation as the inaugural recipient of residual donations from our Dividend Reinvestment Program, or DRP.

We provided the DRP in response to shareholders who asked us for ways to invest in the company. In designing the program, we also saw an opportunity to make an impact for our Telstra Foundation partners.

From last financial year, the DRP enabled shareholders to reinvest all or part of their dividend payments into additional Telstra shares.

But a question we had was how to best manage fractional amounts that wouldn’t buy a full Telstra share? Some companies carry these forward to the next dividend payment. What we decided to do was donate the residual to a non-profit partner, with an opt-out option.

While it’s only a few cents or dollars for each shareholder – at the end of the financial year the residual donation came to more than $590,000. Link

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Sell them to me for $0.00001 ea :p
    @Sackie might pay $0.0001 ea :D
    Even @datto would be a worthy cause :rolleyes: