Donating blood

Discussion in 'Philanthropy' started by bob shovel, 3rd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

People believe stupid things!

gman65 and Chilliblue like this.
  2. Waldo

Waldo Well-Known Member

I'm a mad cow apparently.

I've been called worse.

3. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Me B Neg
    Wife is A Pos

Like DT count me in if PC makes a group

We've given multiple times before but with low blood pressure she's always a bit lightheaded

4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Its why PMT is called PMT, Mad Cow disease was already taken as a name

5. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Has wife tried anything to reduce light headedness? I'm no expert but if memory serves me correctly water can help raise blood pressure, only slightly. But one time I had heaps of water - didn't drink prior so had 2 or 3 in waiting room, it was my fastest donation around 7 Min but the nurse said water can boost blood pressure or make a faster donation. Worth a shot, worst case she'll wet her pants on the chair :p

6. bob shovel

@Simon Hampel are we good to go? If you let me know how you'd like the name registered I'll take care of the rest.
    PropertyChat.com.au?

7. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I used to donate blood all the time, before I was sexually active. Even though I'm in a committed, monogamous same-sex relationship (and have been for many many years); I am still not allowed to donate anything, anymore.

Prior to sexual activity; I could (and did, very regularly) donate. It's a sensitive subject considering that all blood gets screened anyway, upon donation. Even considering my safe circumstance, I am still discounted from being allowed to contribute :/

gman65 likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I lived in England from 1988 to 1990. Therefore I am not allowed to give blood. Like @Waldo this makes me a mad cow.

We were newlyweds then. So at least my wife is also a mad cow.

Waldo, Scott No Mates and C-mac like this.
  9. bob shovel

samiam and Tyler Durden like this.
  10. Mooze

Mooze Well-Known Member

Pre kids I donated regularly. I should be allowed to again in around 12months time - from memory need to wait until four months after stopping breastfeeding.

11. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

Donate whenever they allow me

12. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

I gave blood for many years both in the UK and here from 1991 until they suddenly decided I was a mad cow.

Got a letter in a November late 1990s saying after December I would be unable to give blood . . . so come in now and donate . . . . WTF!!

13. bob shovel

Haha until the paperwork is stamped you're safe!

They've also changed the questions around the homosexual relationships etc, I didn't really read it properly, and as usual ticked "no" to being pregnant without reading it properly ;) you never know these days though

14. Kate Moloney

Kate Moloney Well-Known Member

That is really interesting ! I knew about the food types you could eat, but never heard of it being attached to a personality type.

15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have a hereditary blood issue which sees me at the Blood Bank every month or two. Red Cross are legends and the rules can be a bit annoying but do make sense to some. The Red Cross cant guarantee all disease can be identified before transfusion.This was evident in the early days of HIV and literally killed a world population of hemophiliacs receiving RedCross transfusions before HIV was found and identified. Thus they have a policy to ban donors or use of the blood for specific purpose for limited periods or permanently. eg UK, Europe mad cow, Dengue fever regions, hep A, B C, HIV, zika regions, persons who have been jailed, those with tattoos, IV drug users, persons who engage in same sex (male, female or otherwise) activities whether or not penetration is involved, persons who have KJ or may have been exposed, hemophiliacs, some illnesses, some pharma drugs, blood pressure outside limits etc....They have a manual that is about a foot thick with examples. I have a second heriditary illness that means my blood is destroyed and only used in lab. I'm not banned but my blood is. If they stopped taking my blood I would likely die...slowly. I wish my blood could help but appreciate it may do more harm than good.

PS : I love the Red Cross biscuit they give away now....Byron Bay choc chip. Worst the small pin prick and time given.

Blood type is the medical breakthrough nobody can crack. Blood cannot be manufactured and there is no evidence it evolved either.

bob shovel likes this.
  16. Mustafa Salehi

Mustafa Salehi Well-Known Member

I donated for first time couple of weeks ago and I think the nerves got to me so I passed out cold. I had the weirdest, most vivid dreams I have ever had then next thing you know the nurse is trying to wake me up. Anyway got a letter few days ago that I am at risk of doing harm to myself If I donate again so for that reason I wont be allowed.

17. Paul@PAS

Their rules are there for your safety. I fainted at my first donation when I stood too quickly. Others get anxiety, hold breath etc but the lower blood pressure can be harmful. Horrid feeling and I still take care. Never happend again. Get a doctors clearance and they may revisit you.

Mustafa Salehi likes this.
  18. bob shovel

Yeah as Paul said, worth following up. Was it a combination of blood pressure and nerves, or just nerves?

19. Mustafa Salehi

Mustafa Salehi Well-Known Member

Combination of blood pressure and nerves, I am planning to bring this up on my next visit to the GP and maybe get some tests done. If I get the clearance then should be good to donate again.

20. Paul@PAS

Doctor needs to complete the Red Cross referral app. They dont accept paper.