Donald Trump for President..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This Anti Trump protestor just found out that MacDonald's has run out of egg McMuffins....

Last edited: 22nd Jan, 2017
  2. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Ok you love him, we get it geez.
    Are we back in the schoolyard?

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Don't let emotions get in the way.... this was a bit of fun, there is only so much hate we can take in one day, time to lighten up:) and chill out.

Francesco likes this.
  4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

He's starting his presidency with incredibly low approval ratings- one of the worst for an incoming president, well behind Obama's both at the start and at the end of his presidency. Traditionally presidents start on a high and drop right back.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...ided-yet-optimistic-country-awaits-trump.html

Yet he says this is a lie, and blames it on lying main stream media- which is why I have quoted Fox News.

I don't think this bodes well for him. He is already lying about his crowds and about his popularity, which is not going to do him any good. Though at 42% approval rating, he's probably not going to go much lower. That would be his baseline support, no matter what- the supporters for whom he can do nothing wrong.

But it will do nothing for unifying people behind him- on those numbers, he has already lost support amongst those who supported him.

Northboy likes this.
  5. geoffw

I'll point out that I used Fox News as my source, being a much more strongly pro Trump media organisation.

The pre election polls were 2-3% out. That percentage was enough to swing the election.

So let's give that to him. 45% popularity instead of 42% to allow for a 3% margin for error. Disapproval at 55%- so let's call that 52% Obama started at 67%- so let's call that 64%. And he finished at 60% approval on the same poll- so 57%, when historically sitting presidents are at an all time low approval.

That still puts Trump lower than Obama, and at a higher disapproval than approval.

So best case scenario:
    Trump- 45% approve, 52% not.
    Obama at start- 64% approve.
    Obama at end- 57% approve.

wylie likes this.
  6. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

Obama had high public approval rating but achieved what? His legacy will be overshadowed by what his administration has caused to usher in Trump to administer the antidote to undo what he had done. His single signature reform, Obamacare is a lame duck, with Trump's Executive Order in the first day of office to halt any bureaucratic action that has any economic cost, pending formal Senate repeal and replacement with other legislations.

Historians vary widely in their assessments and change over time, but here is a succinct assessment below.

Washington Times: Assessing the Obama legacy, he has failed

Below is a critique, more a reality check, of Senator John Lewis (the leader of the Dems who boycotted the inauguration of the Trump presidency) and by extension the 'establishment' in the Dem party and the governments presided by Obama. Significantly, it was made by black, who understands the struggles of blacks and the realities they live in:

Former Black Panther: ‘John Lewis Is the Illegitimate Congressman’

MTR likes this.
  7. Francesco

Madonna and the celebrities who are locked in criticising mode of Trump reflects the very lefty surrounding of Hollywood. It would not surprise me that a few may qualify as being worthy of surveillance by the FBI and CIA.

MTR likes this.
  8. geoffw

I don't see anything on the subject of Trump here. Seems like deflection to me.

One could discuss Obama, the recession he inherited, and the jobs. I could for instance quote an article which said he did a good job in the job creation department (FINAL REPORT CARD: Here's how many jobs were created under Obama). And I could point out that for much of his presidency, he had a Republican congress intent on nullifying any single thing that he did- at least anything which was in their power to nullify.

But I note that you haven't addressed Trump's declining popularity nor his lying about the crowds and about his popularity.

And John Lewis? He's only a part of your discussion because he dared to say something bad about Trump. Another deflection.

Just. Wow. Is this going to be the tactic? Anybody who criticises Trump gets surveilled by the security services? Incredible. I truly hope that this is only your opinion, and not that of the new administration. Because otherwise it's starting to sound more and more like a dictatorship. Suppression of the press, specifically opinions you disagree with; demonisation of people who didn't vote for you; and apparently now, surveillance.

Thanks, you've taken scariness to a whole new level.

Northboy and Lizzie like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

@Francesco
    let's also not forget mainstream media gave Obama a free pass, they adored him and he was in honeymoon period for 8 years. Now Trump has to fix the mess

Francesco likes this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I
    but who cares, Trump is prez the people voted, dems are still trying to deal with it, not doing too well, scare mongering...can't wait to see Trump get things moving, he is a shaker and a deal maker...give it 6 months and revisit this post, can't wait

11. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I think many people care, to be honest. He won't like that low approval rating. He is ranting about the numbers of people at his inauguration instead of leading the country, on the first day. That is not a good look.

I reckon he will be moved on by the party, impeached or worse. Or maybe he will prove his "enemies" wrong. You should care too if you have property in the US. If he fails to impress those who put their faith in him, I dread to think what happens next.

geoffw likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

US economy growing and property market booming...we can only work on today no different to property investing in Australia

I would be far more concerned with Australiann property markets that are close to peak and the tightening of financial policy could impact on all property markets in Oz in 2017

Last edited: 23rd Jan, 2017
  13. geoffw

If Trump is so willing to lie about something so easily verifiable as false in his first day of office, it doesn't give much hope for whatever else he intends to do. He has, for instance, promised to separate his business interests from the interests of the office of president- yet how can he be trusted to do that? How will you know that anything he does is for the good of the people? What if his business interest directly impacted on your own investments?

Lizzie, wylie and wategos like this.
  14. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

His consistent, relentless lying and making up stuff, will be his undoing. I can only see his approval rating going down further, some people like to believe the garbage Trump spews and they live in their fantasy world, but most don´t.

He gets up in front of the CIA memorial, and just talks about himself, and lies that his inauguration was the biggest ever, lies that he had no feud with the intelligence services. Lies that he created the jobs that were already created under Obama, dares to call media reporting the truth the liars.
    Donald Trump speech at CIA memorial risks fueling intelligence feud
    Lies lies lies.

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

nah, smart cookie met with CIA today, I think it was his day off but he is a workoholic, won them over, they went nuts, that is leadership, you must have missed this one. He is smarter than the average bear, that is why he is a billionaire...watch this space

dmb1978 likes this.
  16. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I saw the CIA photo op. Won them over? I don't think so.

Some very scathing comments did come from that photo op, his disrespectful behavior in front of what is to the CIA the equivalent of Arlington. Did you see that? Were we watching the same footage? He has no idea of how to conduct himself.

Don't mistake the polite laughter from a few there at his lame attempts at humour for "they went nuts".

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

watching mainstream media again? They always twist the truth,

I saw Trumps speech and the applauds and support. Don't listen to me, happy to wait and watch over the next week...CIA need Trump and Trump needs CIA you scratch my back I will scratch your back

See The obsession that media has with Trump ? lefties still not able to get over the loss...move on

18. Francesco

Comparisons of the two photos claiming to show 2 inaugurations however show less than half of each. The comparison did not show the other half and worse it shows less than half of the Trump inauguration and more than half of the same setting for the Obama inauguration. Which is the better or worse half that is compared? Is this how a fair and transparent comparison should be made to get a true assessment. The embedded bias is so obvious.

Obama inherited the GFC and had 8 years to turn the US around. He piled the debts to higher levels! He prevented depression just like Treasurer Swan did - with massive fiscal injections, aided with loose monetary policies. It was standard Keynesian prescriptions, nothing genius about it. (For another thread, Swan's fiscal programs were so poorly conceived and executed, that any recession avoided was a technical triumph but in reality lacked productivity, eg home insulation.)

Obama had obstructions mainly in the second term when the outcome from his policies were beginning to incite opposition such as the Tea Party. It did not help when Obama became 'imperial' when he did not command Congress, but sought to bypass its oversight with Executive Orders. As I see it he has himself to blame by seeking to overuse his Executive powers and ignoring the oversight of Congress.

Me taking scariness to a new whole level? I am just observing from the other side of the globe to where the action is! Celebrities have incited violence, certainly not in jest, but with frustration and deep seated emotion:

De Niro wanting to take Trump behind a shed: Robert De Niro: ‘I’d like to punch Donald Trump in the face’ – video

Madonna wanting to blow up the White House: Madonna causes stir with confrontational, R-rated anti-Trump speech - CNNPolitics.com

However, Hollywood has ideological precedents: Hollywood Ten - Cold War - HISTORY.com

In the circumstance, any US security official worth his salt will want to keep watch over the pulse of this emotional excess and anticipate where it may lead to!

willair likes this.
  19. lewy89

lewy89 Well-Known Member

I'm sorry but this is turning into a useless argument here.
    Whether you like it or not, Trump is now the POTUS. If anyone really wants to try and make the world a better place you are going to have to deal with that fact (for the time being at least anyway.) He was voted in democratically and fairly and I don't think it really matters how much people protest.... Heck I am not even sure what they are protesting? Are they protesting against democracy? Protesting against free and fair elections? I don't understand how you can protest something when it was lawful, fair and free.
    I lost this soccer match so I am protesting because the other team won fair and square?

Francesco and MTR like this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Exactly, well said.