Donald Trump for President..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by willair, 23rd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

We were talking about racism, not illegal immigrants. This is what he actually said

“When Mexico sends its people, they’re not sending their best. They’re not sending you. They’re not sending you. They’re sending people that have lots of problems, and they’re bringing those problems with us. They’re bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists. And some, I assume, are good people.”

Nice of him to say that there's some nice people in amongst all those people.

But when it comes to illegal immigrants, we have another issue.

The US has been happy to have them for many generations because they have filled a need. If there were no Latinos in the US then crops wouldn't be harvested and hotel rooms would be filthy. The Latinos have been willing to do work which nobody else has wanted to do, and at a cheaper cost than Americans have been willing to do. During times of comparatively full employment, nobody worried about this. But as factories have become more automated, as they shift manufacturing offshore, and especially following the GFC, this has become a much bigger issue. But it's not an issue which has been unaddressed. Obama has deported more than any other president before him- 2.4M between 2009 and 2014. A majority of these had a criminal record. Trump stated that Obama had moved many people out of the US, which was true; he stated that it had not been talked about, which was not true. Many newspaper stories had covered this.

The deportations may cause problems in Mexico, but that's not the problem of the US. Many of the people deported come from troubled parts of Central America, and from South America. Mexico has, and will, had to cope with what are in effect refugees from other countries.

Trump has also stated that he will clamp down on visa overstayers. This is a good thing. While I don't know much of what is happening in that regard in the US, I know that it's happening a lot in Australia, and little appears to have been done to stop it. I know that Australians who want a casual job anywhere where this is a beach will have trouble getting a full paying documented job. The problem in Australia is not refugees. It's visa overstayers.
    Good campaigning. I didn't see him out visiting before he was campaigning.

2. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Jeez, you are a hard audience!! :p

Still cannot give the bloke any credit. o_O

He was touring the Country virtually non-stop at this stage.

At least he turned up, helped out and had some warm moments with the victims...comforted a good number of folks who had lost everything. There are more clips and other stories about this visit; I selected only one....again - no mention of any of this on the enemedia - and no mention either of Clinton or Obama not turning up.

Obama was on holidays and made no attempt to get down there for over a week after this, and Hillary just stayed home.

How about a bit of criticism for her at least; she had no excuse.

Last edited by a moderator: 9th Dec, 2016
    Francesco, Sackie and MTR like this.
  3. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

What is it missing ?
    The math doesn't add up ? I don't think highly of WBs comments on charity. He disowned his granddaughter for appearing in a documentary which talks about wealth disparity !

Its a story people are interested in. I don't think Trump has ever beat his chest about this in his campaign.

Bayview likes this.
  4. geoffw

Sorry, typo.

He gave away $2.5 billion to charity in one year, of which he claimed (possibly the maximum allowable) $3.5 million.

No, he's never beat his chest about it. The Trump organisation originally said that it wasn't a true story - it is a story which has been credited also to several other people. It doesn't fit in with his comparative lack of charity elsewhere. However he does seem to get more mileage out of it than Bill Gates gets for the Gates Foundation, or the money Buffett has given away.

Buffett has never believed in family getting much in the way of benefits from his name or his money. He disowned his granddaughter (after paying for her education, the only support he gives any of them) for using the family name in a documentary, something of which he very strongly disapproves.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I've watched many, many hours before the election. Please don't tell me what I've watched, or not.

And please don't tell me why I don't like him. You have no idea about what I like or not, and why.

Kellyanne Conway... pfft. She speaks well, never shuts up actually.

I believe he will either make America great again or ruin it completely. Let's just wait and see.

I think it is funny that he wants to drain the swamp but he is just (as they say) filling the swamp with different alligators.

I don't understand why there isn't more uproar about his daughter sitting in on his meeting with the Japanese leaders? So many other things that he is doing that would have everyone jumping up and down if HRC (or anybody else) was doing... and nobody is stopping him.

geoffw likes this.
  6. wylie

This was covered on CNN. They clearly have a bias towards Democratics, just as Fox has a bias for Republicans, but to say their coverage ignored who visited where is just wrong.

7. geoffw

I don't watch CNN. I don't watch Fox. I don't watch, I read. And I read from as many sources as I can find, including Fox and Breitbart. The papers which tend to be more left wing (NY Times, Washington Post) have a limited number of articles per month without subscribing, so I tend not to read them much.

sanj likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Twitter was pure genius
    Mainstream media stuck the knife in but he has has the last laugh

give it 6 months and they will all be begging for an exclusive interview

Bayview, Francesco and Sackie like this.
  9. Bayview

Well, look what has already happened;
    1. not long after the Election, he went out to a restaurant with his family for dinner, told no-one about going, and the media were furious that they didn't get invited or notified. They eventually found out where he was eating, turned up and immediately started lambasting him for not notifying them....I mean; the guy is out having a private dinner and then gets the treatment, in public, in front of other diners?
    2. he had a meeting with a significant sized group of the main media players' representatives, and gave them all a massive serve for the way they treated him..the media went on about that for days.

The media keep putting up this BS that "it is their duty to report the news" and thus they justify their treatment that way...complete denial and still doing it; in fact; CNN and a couple others have "doubled down" on their treatment.

Francesco and MTR like this.
  10. Bayview

Seriously?

One of the criticisms that we keep hearing about Trump is he is anti-women (and also a racist, a bigot, Hitler)..the list goes on.

And now we have the only woman to successfully run an Election campaign in their history; a very smart, passionate and driven woman as head of Trumps campaign (one of now 4 women in his cabinet picks so far) - this should at least make all the women happy who believe he is a woman-hater?......but no; even she can't get any credit?

Even Dr. Ben Carson - one of the premier neurosurgeons in the world, successfully operated and separated the first head-joined twins, who is himself black (another thing Trump is accused of; racist) is picked for the HUD position...and has already been slammed over at CNN for that pick.

They never let up; and then wonder why Trump gives them the back of his coat, and starts another Tweet or FB post?

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 10th Dec, 2016
  11. wylie

Yes... seriously.

I believe the secret service were seriously upset that he just went off without their protection to dinner. I've not seen anything about the media gnashing teeth over it, but who knows.

Kellyanne is fabulous at what she does, what she did. Does the fact that she is a woman change that? Really? (... and she is still annoying, even if she is fantastic at her job).

Her gender doesn't change anything. She still turns every question about something that is not quite right into a rant about how fabulous he is, what is doing right etc. Just like any politician anywhere. Wouldn't it be lovely if someone, anyone would just answer the question that is asked?

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2016
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Just a bit of trivia ......It cost $1,000,000,000 per day to protect president elect.

13. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I don't quite believe that!!

14. geoffw

No way.

$1,000,000 to $3,000,000 per day by estimates from various sources. That's million, not billion as you've said.

15. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I can't believe how many people on here still think think that Trump was the better choice than Clinton on here.
    In that case, I guess I better get used to the idea of Prime Minister Hanson, no matter how ridiculous and unsavoury it may seem!

wylie likes this.
  16. wylie

I've no idea if Trump could have used US steel, but are you saying that he couldn't find legal workers?

17. geoffw

Trump has had women in positions of influence in his organisation for a long time. They tend to be related to him.

However this is not what has been the issue about Trump and women. He has had a tendency to classify women who he doesn't know by their looks. Women who look good often get treated as objects. Women who don't may be the subject of disparaging remarks based on their looks.

Just wondering though. If the fact that he has a black on his cabinet proves that he isn't racist towards blacks, what does that say about Muslims and Latinos? He has said that he has friends who are Latinos, but has been very condescending in his remarks.

wylie likes this.
  18. geoffw

It's the nature of democracy. In our Western governments, around 50% tend to support one party, 50% the other. When that tips towards 51%, that person gets in- leading to 49% who are unhappy with the choice. Those 49% aren't going to change their beliefs as a result, as many here appear to want to happen.

There was a lot of very good mud slinging going on during the election- to the extent that many people who thought that Hillary was a good candidate at the start of the process didn't think so by the end. I'm sure that there was a good deal of misogyny from the American public contributing to her loss.

Many people who voted for Trump were personally unhappy with the man, but supported the party for which he ran- witness the support of the evangelical Christians. They would vote for anybody who opposed abortion and gay marriage, despite the man's personal values being quite different to their own.

wylie likes this.
  19. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

I think that's a bit oversimplified.
    Most "first past the post" systems like the US will only ever have two major parties. However in Australia, where we don't have such a silly system and use proportional representation, we actually have between eight and ten different political parties (depending on how you count the coalition) and two independents in the senate.

It's also worth noting that the coalition only got 42% of the primary vote (and this goes down even further if you split it into Liberals, Nationals and LNP).
    Labor actually got less than 35%.

Trump also received quite a bit less than 50% but still won due to the way the electoral colleges work over there.

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Geoff that was a typo $1m is what I heard