Domestic violence leave

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Bayview, 25th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

I dont think Bayview is 'catastrophising' it. I think it is just another weight being loaded on the shoulders of many already struggling businesses. If the government wants to bring it in they should pay for it. This would mean cutting other services or increasing taxes.

Bayview likes this.
  2. Esel

Esel Well-Known Member

I know! Every week you hear about another Man who has been brutally shouted to death by his wife. Happens all the time. This policy is sexist because men cop constant verbal abuse and we need to stop exagerating how many women and kids are bashed black and blue by their partners and dads, cause men are doing it tough too, right?

BigKahuna likes this.
  3. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

I'm not begrudging them time off work.

I'm saying it's a policy that doesn't do anything to actually address the very real problem.

sanj, Bayview and Ozzie in Texas like this.
  4. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I'm not suggesting people need to go to work the next day in this situation, I'm suggesting that leave for this is already covered under current entitlements (privacy laws already mean you don't have to specifically state why you are taking a day off, just need a Dr cert), and just sticking a label on it is just lip service.

Cheers,
    Inertia

Angel, Bayview and Ozzie in Texas like this.
  5. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

How do you define domestic violence? No idea what the best solutions is, but I do agree with this. Alongside paid maternity leave and other workers rights, is it any wonder we're seeing an increasing casual and contract based workforce?

I suspect the answers to domestic violence are somewhere in family and peer support, alongside government assistance ongoing awareness and long term strategies to ensure people are safe and able to take care of themselves and their family. Certainly employers need to make some allowances to assist, but as @inertia indicates there's already provisions for that.

Xenia and Bayview like this.
  6. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

As many formumites have already mentioned the domestic violence leave is not going to solve the problem and unfortunately it is not going to be widely used due to shame associated with it and also topic being tabu. Most likely leave is only used when a victim is ready to take a next step and leave and hopefully report incident to police. It gives the victim time to get their affairs in order without needing a worry about work and I doubt that this has any major impact on employers.

Personally I would love to see it used more often, because it means that victims are not afraid to talk about situation to someone and it is not tabu anymore and . Unfortunately before we can see cultural change it is not going to be widely used.

By the way my employer (as did the previous one) offers 5 days domestic violence leave, so I thought that it is already law in Victoria.

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2015
    wylie, Ozzie in Texas and Esel like this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

And how do we prevent the people who actually do walk into a door from using it as an excuse to get time off work?

8. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

for real??? how many people do you think would use domestic violence as their excuse for taking a sickie?

BigKahuna, AndrewTDP and Esel like this.
  9. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

I do not believe a second that this form of leave will be abused by people. There is so much stigma around this. No-one who does not really and I mean really need it, is not going to take it.

10. AndrewTDP

AndrewTDP Well-Known Member

If you live your life thinking like that then I feel sorry for you.

I have compassionate leave for staff. I don't demand pictures of dying relatives.

BigKahuna, sanj and Ozzie in Texas like this.
  11. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I don't believe so.

Any further addition of paid days off for any employer is an extra cost.

Not only in lost productivity for that employee, but most (smaller) labour intensive businesses need to then pay someone else to cover for that person who is away. Double the cost of staff for each employee, for each day.

There is an argument that folks won't use the leave, but from my experience in the workforce in various jobs for the last almost 40 years; folks take advantage of the days off they are allocated.

Some don't of course; but the majority do. The sickie is laughingly an Aussie tradition. This is obviously a different type of thing, but it is still paid leave which can - and will - be used...it will simply be swallowed up into the overall description of "personal leave".

The economic cost in lost productivity is huge for the Country, and the overall impact on job losses will be there.

We simply can't keep giving and giving and giving folks more paid time off, if we are to be a competitive Country in the Global markets.

We are already seeing this in a number of industries where either the jobs disappear, and/or the prices of local manufactured products and retail products go up..

12. Ozzie in Texas

In my present job, I am awarded personal leave instead of sick leave. On day one, she told me that she was old enough to know and understand we all have lives.......and we all need the occasional day off for whatever reason........and she really didn't want to hear reasons or excuses.

I have much respect for her because she is smart enough to know that if she treats me with care and respect, I will do tenfold for her.

Agreed. Granting special leave provisions for victims of domestic violence is an empty gesture that in no way goes to addressing the issue. As I have said in earlier posts, there needs to be a cultural shift that is addressed not only through education and support for victims, but law reforms that appropriately deals with the offender as well.

I have also been in the position of not knowing how best to support my neighbours........other than call police to intervene on 3 different couples during my life. 2 couples eventually moved away (once in Los Angles and another in Sydney). The third couple seemed to sort themselves out and I knew that they were ok.

I heard screaming and bodies being pounded against walls and slaps and desperate cries for help. I have worried more about the safety and well being of the couples who moved away......than ever regret calling the police.

BigKahuna and AndrewTDP like this.
  13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

if it's serious they would need medical attention regardless.

14. Ozzie in Texas

Oh that is just too silly. Without the hard work and commitment of employees, businesses cannot exist. It has to be a balanced and respectful relationship between the two parties .......or neither party wins.

I argue with your initial argument that "Billy Bob" is being disingenuous with his recent statement.......because he shows that he either has no idea or doesn't care......as long as he says something to prove otherwise.

However to begrudge people who actually need time off work to sort out their lives.......people aren't just clogs/empty vessels in an economic machine. If an employer is silly enough to operate in that matter, they reap the seeds they sow.......i.e. high staff turnover and low productivity.

BigKahuna likes this.
  15. Ozzie in Texas

MTR .......again, for real? Do you seriously expect a victim of domestic abuse to provide you with a medical certificate. Would you insist on a police report as well.

And these kind of silly discussions just prove how much more education and legislation is needed ........before a cultural shift can happen.

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2015
    D.T. likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

if she plans to seek restraining order or proceed with criminal charges, yes of course,
    could be off work for weeks my guess is this would be required regardless. Same if someone took sick leave

Some women are seriously injured, need med attention, am I missing something..?

17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

you are taking it out of context
    I am assuming the victim would be seeing her doctor if she was injured or are you assuming she does not need medical attention

point is I don't make the rules I am assuming this is normal. I am more concerned about protecting and helping the victim moving forward evidence will be required. Our laws on DV is too lenient, these guys are getting away with murder

Xenia likes this.
  18. Ozzie in Texas

Compassion and trust. Who would seriously make up that kind of stuff to get a few days off work.

19. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

A lot of ASX listed companies already have that in place for their workers,so BigBill did not do his homework again,my self i don't care about how they were bought up,what life has turned them into,who they want to blame
    for their actions,and what drugs made them do what wife-bashers do,i blame the legal system for time and time again they just lets these people run amok.

Tillie likes this.
  20. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

bingo!

An answer to a solution lies right here! If women recognised the early signs they can make better informed decisions about continuing.

You talk too loud
    You are a flirt
    Don't wear those high heel shoes
    That lipstick is too bright

Insecurity, jealousy, deep issues about women, deep psychological hate ....

Refer him to a good psychologist and leave!

Healthy relationships are when people are allowed to be themselves without tripping the hot buttons of an insecure partner.

Emotional abuse is exactly the same and still violent.