Does your PM charge to provide additional quotes?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Starbright, 28th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

I'm wondering if this is a big enough reason to change PMs, or whether it is normal behaviour.

A few of you may have read my previous post about getting a TV antenna replaced. After the PM gave the initial quote which was rather expensive, I hopped online to find other tradespeople and gave her 4 more numbers to ring. She came back with two more quotes, and because I had received another recommendation from the forum, asked her to do one more.

She then says that they charge $55 for each additional quote over 2. I understand they don't want to waste time chasing tradespeople, but it left me with a rather bad taste. I haven't read the mngt agreement to see if this policy is stated in there.

Is it normal to charge for more than 2 quotes? Most months there is nothing to do but collect rent and pay the bills, so I feel like I'm paying for their services already.

Also, if I do change PMs, before calling several agents in the area, is there anywhere online which shows recently rented properties, so I can see which agent consistently gets the best rent? Thanks

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

It's not a "normal" charge but yes check management agreements

3. Ozzie in Texas

Ozzie in Texas Well-Known Member

Agreed. The devil is in the detail. Double check your agreement with the property manger. Recently, I withheld re-signing with a property manager because in their new contract, it stated that I was authorizing them to undertake repairs under $500. And that I authorized them to use their own contractors to repair at will when the overall cost was under $500.

I envisaged many bills being under $500 .......leaving me with no voice to ongoing expenses and how best to plan for them.

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

PM's have allot of duties for allot of clients on their books, plus phone enquiries/walk-in's re available rentals etc, only get so much done in a working day, time/wages is money etc.

Personally, if I required the services of a PM I'd prob have an agreement that if trade services etc are required they advise me of the issue and I organise it.

733 likes this.
  5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

I've haven't had that happen, but I could see how some of them would.
    Worth doing it yourself for the extra ones.

6. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I would have thought three quotes would be standard.. Then charge fees if you wanted additional ones.

7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Depends on how much time. But 4 quotes for a tv antenna is a bit too much tbh

8. 733

733 Well-Known Member

Yes there is certainly a lot involved in delivering a suite of PM services as you highlighted e.g. undertaking detailed Entry Inspection Reports, Exit Condition Reports, registering Bonds with RTA, writing advertising spiels for vacant properties, getting for let signs up, organising or facilitating professional photographs, undertaking Open Home inspections, undertaking inspections by private appointment, undertaking Routine Inspections, writing up routine inspection reports and downloading and sending owners photos, undertaking applicant screening processes, referee checks with payroll and HR and Real estate agencies for tenancy histories, coordinating mini Reno's, responding to tenant requests and maintenance matters via initial assessment of the issue to ensure owners don't pay more than needed to manage issues, organising a quote and trade ( one quote or a second if that's too dear etc), financial mgt activities with disbursements ensuring all money reconciles, paying utilities for some owners, the list goes on...my computer is switched off at 10 pm most days

9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I've noticed it becoming more and more common, at least in the areas I am.

IMO if the PM is charging for multiple quotes, it's because they're having lots of small jobs quoted which is frustrating. Jobs are time consuming at the best of times, let alone chasing a number of tradespeople for multiple quotes.

In my business I give tradespeople approval limits, basically I say to my owner I think it will cost x amount or less and ask whether they're happy for me to give the trades person approval up to that amount. It's a great system as the cost will exceed this amount unless they call me, it's done quickly without stuffing around my tradespeople and upsetting my tenants by needing to let multiple tradespeople in and taking weeks for a job to be completed. Win/win.

melbgal likes this.