Does this meet 2 years business income requirement ?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Geekyebony, 17th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Geekyebony

Geekyebony Active Member

I and my wife have a Family Trust that will complete two years of trading by end of June 2019. The First year of trading, i was an IT contractor for about 5 months and earned all my income for those 5 months into the trust. Hypothetically, at the end of 2018 Financial year, i earned 50k from the contract job into the Trust and 100k as a PAYG employee for the remaining 7 months of the same financial year. The 50k from the Trust was discretionally distributed and taxes were paid.

In 2019 Financial year, i have worked the full year as a PAYG employee, i however have done some side hustle work that has earned about 30k via the Trust. This will be distributed to the beneficiaries ( me and wify) and taxes will be paid for the 2019 year.

Now, to the real question: We want the income from the business to be considered while working out serviceability as we intend to apply for an investment property Loan. Will lenders consider this as meeting 2 years business income requirement while trying to work serviceability or not in these circumstances ? I am worried that income from the First year may not really be considered business income ?

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

sounds like it is PSI income and shoudn't be distributed. Did you receive advice on this aspect?

If the trust has 2 years tax returns its income should be considered with most lenders.

3. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

Firstly, the 2 year rule you are referring to is most likely the requirement lenders have re the ABN - the ABN must be registered for at least 2 years.

In terms of the tax returns - most lenders require 2 years financials but at 80% lenders like St George, Westpac, etc accept one years financials and over 80% ANZ accepts one years financials. If you are using one of these lenders then you don't need to show the previous years returns.