Does this look like a wood borer infestation? - Current house on market in Moorooka

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Nadia Friend, 7th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nadia Friend

Nadia Friend New Member

Hey guys

We're new home buyers in the south brisbane region. We recently went to see a house that's currently on the market in Moorooka. Upon venturing downstairs (Queenslander) to the basement and looking up, this is what we found. There were large portions of the timber that looked like it had been replaced recently, or had plywood put in its place. All of this is imperceptible from the house looking down, and only visible from under the house.

Obviously, we don't have any experience in the area :( We'd be really grateful if someone out there with more experience and smarts than us, could give us a clue as to what this may be. We were thinking maybe woodborers? But how do you tell if its an active or a past infection? And would it be a good idea to steer away from this house just in case.

Happy to share which house in Moorooka i'm referring to - if that's allowed on the forum

Thanks in advance :)

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

It wood (groan) seem to be . Discuss with a pest inspector for the issues. Unless the lifecycle is terminated by treatment for the whole house its a endless war. Takes years for young uns to emerge. Sometimes things look worse and can assist a price negotiation.

Whitecat likes this.
  3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Looks like wood borer to me. I wouldn't put the house details here in case someone else decides to swoop on it.

We've used Rifle Pest Management for years. You could give Wayne or his sons a call and they certainly would check this out for you and also look for termites.

Rifle Pest Management |

4. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

Looks like wood borer to me also. I have seen a lot of this in NZ.
    Anyway what else could it be apart from a wood-boring insect?
    It is very hard to get rid of. I think you need to sort of 'bomb' the whole house. Its not as easy to hunt down as a nest of white ants.

5. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

It could be decades-old and nothing to worry about as all the borers have emerged and gone elsewhere.

6. Nadia Friend

Nadia Friend New Member

Thanks for all your help guys! You're right - it probably is wood borers. We just don't really know much about them and what it means when they're in the house. Thanks for your tips, we might just stay away from that house just in case

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.