Does the six year CGT exemption rule apply?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by wrigs, 5th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wrigs

wrigs Active Member

Hello,

Please entertain the following scenario.

You buy a house and rent it out.
    Three years later, you move in for one year. During that year it's your PPOR. Then you move out and rent another property.

Of course, capital gains will be taxed for those first three years of ownership where it was rented. But, does the six year rule apply after that? For the year you leaved in it + six years after that (assuming you don't have another PPOR that you own) are you exempt from capital gains tax?

Cheers,
    Lara

2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

No you are not exempt from cgt

You are subject to cgt on 3 years divided by ownership period. Assuming you use the main residence absence provision.

Its that percentage over the entire capital gain not just the gain in the first three years.

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You can't be absent until you are first present.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You may have guessed, I'm not all there. :rolleyes:

5. wrigs

wrigs Active Member

Hi Mike, thanks for your quick reply.
    I'm not quite sure I understand yet. Could I please clarify.
    To use the absence from main residence exemption, as you mentioned, do you have to move into the property immediately upon purchase? Or can there be a delay in moving in? Say for example:
    Property purchased.
    Rented out for 2 years. (Years 1 and 2)
    Lived in as PPOR for one year. (Year 3)
    Moved out (and have no other PPOR).

CGT applies for years 1 and 2.
    Does CGT apply for years 3 + 6 more years?

Sorry for any confusion. I'm new to this tax stuff and it's doing my head in :|

Cheers,
    Lara

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You can use the 6 year rule after you have moved in, but you could not count the property as the main residence before you lived in it.

7. wrigs

wrigs Active Member

Perfect, now I get it. Thanks!

8. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The main residence rule requires you move in as soon as practicable either :
    1. After settlement for an established property or
    2. After construction completion for a new build
    Renting the property (even if its just a few weeks before the former owners tenants move out) fails the test.

If you dont then pro-rata exemption applies.based on no of days taxable v's total ownership period.

Your main residence

9. surrealblank

surrealblank New Member

I have a tagged on question

so how long do you have to live in the main residence after settlement before you move out does the 6 year rules apply for CGT exemptions?

Some people say 1 year some people say 6 months but I cannot find it on ATO website?

thanks

10. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Can be 1 week. But you would have to have solid reasons why you had to move soo quickly.

11. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I have seen two real short duration taxpayers who were both legit. One a soldier who moved in same day as he was given orders to move. Another moved in wife wife and kids and learned or a offshore posting the next week.

In each case its essential you keep very sound records and evidence that shows you did actually make the pace your primary residence eg removal costs, connections for utilities etc. It too easy for these to be challenged later.

If the premises were newly renovated or built then there is also a three month minimum requirement to consider.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia