Does pruning a tree back reduce water needs?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Frosty123, 10th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Frosty123

Frosty123 Well-Known Member

Hi all,

I have two large conifer trees directly outside the front of my property. I've noticed large cracks in the brickwork (cracks right through the bricks) which are now about 10mm wide.
    I suspect this is due to a drop in soil moisture as we're on reactive clay and have just come through a dry period.

Just wanting to know if prune these trees back significantly, will reduce the water they're sucking from the ground, or will I have to completely rip them out?

Thanks

Frosty

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't know, but could you water them regularly so they don't go "looking" for water?

Edit: How far from the foundations are they? Do they need to go because they are too close?

3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Speak to nursery and show pics - Horticulture people know this stuff.
    Generally roots are there and wont go away. Problem just gets worse.

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

A good solid pruning 18" above ground level with a McCollough chainsaw will dramatically reduce water requirements if combined with a glyphosate treatment.

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Pruning will only temporarily reduce water requirements - and then it will suck even more out as it "regrows".

Personally - pull them out - never liked conifers

6. Ambit

Ambit Well-Known Member

Pruning conifers is a bit tricky, depending on the species, if you cut them back too far they will not produce new growth and it will look horrible. It probably won't have the desired effect in the long run either. If it is the trees causing the problem, removing them is the best option.
    I'd get some expert advice from an arborist first.