Does property investing have to be a house? Could it be a boat?

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by Paterson00, 18th May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mini2

mini2 Well-Known Member

Boat and a berth could work, I mean isn't that pretty much house and land? ;)

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

I've been told that the two happiest days around boat ownership are the day you buy it and the day you sell it.

larrylarry likes this.
  3. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

We bought a boat last week.

Attached Files:

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Oops, that is the one we hired. Here it is:

Attached Files:

5. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

How about the 1971 Falcon XY GTHO Phase III, cost $5,300 in 1971. A couple have sold for over $700k.
    Ugly though, I prefer the 2 door XB Falcons.

Daniel007, Greyghost and datto like this.
  6. Paterson00

Paterson00 Well-Known Member

That is an insane price. I just rented the SV6 for a few days and that was fast enough for me. That is a lot of boat I would be missing out on for that price.

datto likes this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Yes, very expensive. Insane, because the rev head and petrol head psyche allows it to happen. Add a little nostalgia and it could be a good investment some time in the future, maybe.

8. Paterson00

All yours Datto. No chance of me racing you to the counter on this one. I like cars but for that money I'd be wanting a prancing horse or raging bull. Sports cars come second to luxury cars on my shopping list. Give me an S class Mercedes or Bentley Continental GT any day of the week.

9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd only buy if I was mega rich. When you think about it, ATM the money could go on a deposit for an IP.

10. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Can't buy much of them new for $165k. Maybe half a car?
    But I would like a BMW or Mercedes as well.

11. Paterson00

I think i would need a ridiculous amount of passive income before i decide that a car comes before another ip. You've probably gathered by now though that boats turn my head a lot quicker than cars. My resolve isn't quiet so strong here.

datto likes this.
  12. Paterson00

It doesn't even have to be new. There's a famous Aston Martin advert that sells the second hand area well. It has a really sexy lady in just panties and a shirt at the breakfast counter and the caption underneath says, " you know your not the first but do you care? " genius avert

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe.
    Yeah, I'm researching the second hand market.
    Some good bargains to be had after a few years.

14. Paterson00

SAAB seem to be stupidly cheap for some reason. I'm from the UK and there they hold their value well. A convertible one in Australia seems to be really unpopular. Good for me as I'll have one happily

15. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Yep; I would only ever buy a boat as a cashflow investment; buy the you-beaut second hand boat suitable for future chartered fishing tours; get it fitted out for the purpose, and lease it to a crowd who want to run the tours....cashflow positive.

Hell; I reckon I might do it myself; better than a bloody mechanical and tyre workshop.

Second hand boats sell nice and cheap over winter, so easy to pick one up then (I always here stories from blokes about how little they paid for XYZ boat - unless of course they are merely talking porkies and in reality paid too much and won't admit it).

16. Username86

Username86 Well-Known Member

To carry paying passengers a boat needs to be in commercial survey so all the production boats that are marketed to the private market don't meed the build standards for commercial use. The build cost of a commercial boat is around double to three times the cost of a similar size private vessel.
    Along with the usual ongoing maintenance for a boat (make an estimate and double it) a commercial vessel I subject to annual surveys and every second survey must be done out of the water so there will be considerable costs involved with upkeep and dry docking.
    That being said I have worked on a few charter boats and for someone who love being on the sea its a great way to get on the water and meet new people.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hmm, I haven't heard much about Saab for awhile, seems to have been overtaken by Audi.
    Unfortunately GTR's and Audi R8's are really expensive over here. Could get a 2nd hand R8 in Europe for under $70k.