Does Property Build Wealth?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by MTR, 2nd May, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

If property does build wealth then why aren't most investors wealthy enough to buy more than 1 property.

This should tell you that the way most property investors invest is fundamentally broken.

(Here are the stats from Simon Buckingham)

I think its broken because in the main property investors are not getting the formula right, they are not strategic in the way they invest.

What do you think??

The majority of investors only have one property.
    And only around 15,728 (or 0.068% of the population!) have a portfolio of 6+ properties.
    That’s just 680 people in a million.

Fewer than 2,920 out of 339,311 investors in the whole of Sydney.
    Fewer than 2,780 out of 323,043 investors in Melbourne.
    Fewer than 1,427 out of 165,821 investors in Brisbane
    Fewer than 1,247 out of 144,905 investors in Perth
    Fewer than 850 out of 98,722 investors in Adelaide

kierank and Xenia like this.
  2. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Can't tell ... but if it is easy then everyone should have succeeded. I think it's a combination of a lot of things, e.g. not everyone wants to have multiple properties (stress!!)

3. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Most so called investors aren't really investors, they're just mug punters.

Finrod, Perthguy and Foxdan like this.
  4. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I'm a mug punter

mrdobalina and Ace in the Hole like this.
  5. Allgood

Allgood Well-Known Member

We were just talking about this on the weekend. A family member of mine bought a fancy apartment Canberra a few years ago. At the time we thought it was an odd choice but recently he was whinging that there's no money in real estate because it hasn't increased in value (probably because there's a huge over supply and the Canberra market has been flat recently - he's playing the short term game.) But I'm sure the brochure looked good with a lovely view over Lake BG.

Similarly a family member bought an IP in Mt Druitt in about 2010, had loads of tenant issues and sold it in about 2012 with a $40,000 loss after all costs. I know because I hear about it every time I see her. She says she always knew realestate was a bad investment and this just proves it - I say to her it was an expensive way to prove a point! I often wonder what that house would be worth now... if only she held it for a few years.

Cactus likes this.
  6. Ace in the Hole

I used to be a mug punter but have since progressed to simply being just a punter.
    So far so good.
    Hope to be a true investor one day.

Iamnumber5 and Barny like this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Not everyone can build wealth in every investment vehicle.

kierank and MTR like this.
  8. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I'll buy my 6th next month and I still consider myself a newbie.

9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

A fair chunk of the investors would be 'accidental investors', they have upgraded their ppor and kept the original property possibly for emotional reasons.
    Some have holiday houses which are rented out until retirement.

Many want immediate gratification and give up way too soon.

Then there would be many thousands who have inherited a property or two

None of these are really investors with prior planning, forethought or a desire to hold large amounts of real estate.

kierank, Hanison and MTR like this.
  10. Ace in the Hole

Just maybe, the average person is happy to add only 1 investment property to their nest egg, along with some shares and other random investments.
    Not everybody who has a property should be considered a property investor.

MTR, wylie, Joynz and 1 other person like this.
  11. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Lots of people buy 1 rental as an invesment based off accountant/finplan advice
    Others buy because they have a general awareness that they need to invest in something and shares are too complex
    Some buy because they are gullible and fall for spruikers and sales people patter
    And others buy as part of a defined wealth creation strategy... and we are by far the minority

But importantly, not everyone is wealthy enough to buy more than 1 property because they represent the average/median wage earner. Not all of us can be on high incomes and buy 5, 10, 20 properties due to our servicing. For Joe Average on 40-50k and a wife working part time on 20k, buying a unit as a rental is as far as they will ever go due to lender policy.

orangestreet, Finrod, albanga and 7 others like this.
  12. Logan

Logan Well-Known Member

I have always wondered if these figures relate to individuals or households ? I think if you looked at a couples combine portfolio it would be higher or people with 6 or more. I also wonder how trusts etc fit into these figures?

Cactus and wylie like this.
  13. 2FAST4U

2FAST4U Well-Known Member

Democratic People's Republic of Australia
    Peter Martin: $80,000 is anything but average Scott Morrison

I read in another article yesterday that in SA only 21% of taxpayers earn more than 80k. Nationally it's around a quarter. Most people don't earn enough to build property portfolios considering the price of houses in Australia's capital cities.

MTR likes this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I think there is far more to this.

I know many people who want to achieve financial freedom through property investing and
    An element of luck with property investing for sure, but there still needs to be some skill ie understanding how to source finance, who to use, what to buy, when to buy etc etc.

Many people get stuck because of serviceability but some investors will tweak the system understand there are perhaps other avenues to get it over the line, some investors will be far more persistant, hungry to make money.

HUGH72 and EN710 like this.
  15. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

TheGreenLeaf, ellejay, Ardi and 5 others like this.
  16. luckystar

luckystar Well-Known Member

At one point I bought 3 properties on 57k a year and still had the capacity to borrow another 300k so not sure about the facts being displayed here

wylie and MTR like this.
  17. bobbyj

bobbyj Well-Known Member

At the end of the day, I think the majority of people don't think about property investing (yes, they may discuss and mention it over latte's at work, but really, they don't think about equity/LVR/yields/positive vs negative gearing/forward planning/house vs unit/location/infrastructure/tenants/insurance/property managers/conveyencers/solicitors/tax agents/brokers/interest rates/savings/offset accounts/P+I vs IO/do I need to keep going on?).

There's more to life than money and property and most people don't think about building wealth. The classic thinking of 'what you earn from your job is your wealth'.

orangestreet, Cards, MTR and 3 others like this.
  18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

What the heck? I can't see the famous smile anymore.

19. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

It's not what you earn but how you spend it.
    Take 1000 people earning an "average" take home pay of say $1,000 a week. What percentage of those 1000 people blow the whole lot before next payday? Half? So of the remaining 50% saving at least something, how many of those do you think would invest in property? How many would be able to get a multi property portfolio together? And the big one, how many would get to 6 or more IP's "Club"?
    It would make an interesting experiment.

Koshy likes this.
  20. sash

sash Well-Known Member

What exactly are you seeing Datto? ;)

datto and MTR like this.