Does Landlord get full tenant application? (NSW)

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Peter60, 2nd Jul, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Yes that would identify them who they are, but it would not verify that the applicant would have an unlimited or lengthy enough stay in Australia and therefore not have to hot-foot it outta Australia and abandon a lease.

A prudent PM would not just rely on an international drivers licence to verify if an applicant would be a suitable tenant. A prudent PM would also not just rely on an international passport photo. A prudent PM would want to see the visa status of a foreign national.

2. Phoenix Pete

Phoenix Pete Well-Known Member

Owning a rental property is not risk free as we all know.

A PM should be doing everything within their scope to minimise the risk to the owner.

Not checking that an applicant can fulfill the entire lease and recommending the applicant to the owner is subjecting the owner to risk.

3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Like to see if prudence and reducing risk to the owner rise to legal standards.

4. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

To put it more simply... most temp visas are for one, two, or five years. Most leases are for 12 months, occasionally 6. The point is that by the time someone arrives in the country and gets to signing a lease the two expiries will never synch.

I'm not sure sure what you propose the solution is, but I'd say anyone signing a lease expects to stay in the country for that length of time, and expects to renew thier visa if it expires.
    That's how most immigrants I know manage it, and if it doesnt suit then dont let to immigrants (good luck with that can of worms however).

5. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

What happened to 100 points of ID?

6. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I used to rent to quite a few new migrants, often they would pay all the rent in advance.
    They had taken 'all ' funds from their former country...

7. MB18

MB18 Well-Known Member

How does a PM determine someone is a foreign national?
    You can get 100 points of ID with nothing more than an australian drivers licence and student ID plus something flimsy to make up the last 20 points.
    I was one of those foreigners once (and coincidentally once worked in immigration) but unless I told you so you wouldnt have known.

It might be a frustrating realization, but there is no onus or expectation on the PM to manage tenancies in the manner you seem to have assumed - and I am critical of the tenant vetting process at the best of times.

Tom Rivera and Perp like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

Lord knows why, they basically just threw money away doing that. It says a lot that I get literally zero results searching Lexis CaseBase for "residential tenancy" and "work rights" in the same document. There's no basis in law or in established case law for your assertion that the agent would be responsible for checking work rights.

In fact, there is evidence that they should not be in the fact that VEVO for organisations permits only employers to access that information, and not real estate agents who are cleared only to request access to a third party's residence status.

MB18 and Perp like this.