Does developer uses custom build or project build?

Discussion in 'Development' started by Zak, 28th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Zak

Zak Well-Known Member

I was wondering whether developers uses custom build or project build?

for example: there are varies project builders already have pre-made plans for duplex, etc...

I believe they will be cheaper as they turnover are quite large in volume.

Any ideas would be good?

2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I questions project home builders being cheaper. It really depends on the builder.

My experience 2-3 years ago was that a custom build was cheaper - certainly for the type and style of house I was building. Shop around.

The high level of building activity in Sydney and the shortage of trades has pushed build costs up significantly, and I guess profiteering.

I looked into whether a building broker could be used in NSW, but that doesn't seem to occur as much here as much as it does in WA. That is basically "shopping" your own plans to get prices from a number of builders via a broker.

3. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

From experience of getting into the field and being open to both options i would say finding the right the custom builder would be better.

First - project homes would not usually have the best deigns for your project as it is one fits all and can modify to yours.

Although cheaper project homes can (pretty much did for me even though i didnt build) cost more.

Project builders treat all their customers like mum n dads that dont know anything about council legislation and think they know it all. I had to fight to push my point to have setbacks altered in their design (after about 3 months and numerous sightings to LEPs and DCPs still have no amended my design). They have taken 4 months with my project and have basically gone nowhere. Doesnt matter how much cheaper they are time is money (holding costs plus timing of developments for taxation purposes). I have picked my draftsmen 2 weeks ago and is already just about to go to council.

Project builders with custom design usually wont be cheaper (if anything more expensive as they gotta pay for their tv ads somehow)