Does depreciation affect servicability?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Wall Street, 2nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Wall Street

Wall Street Well-Known Member

Hi all

OK this is a potentially silly question... (directed more at brokers)

The good
    Depreciation obviously has no cash effect, which is great as I can buy pretty things and show the bank that I still have lots of money.

The bad
    However it takes a chunk out of my book income, which presumably looks bad when the banks ask to see my tax returns.

The confusion
    Are the credit people sophisticated enough to see through this devious accounting slap in the face? Assuming they do, is there any stage at which they will get weary from someone claiming huge amounts of non-cash expenses?

2. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

I've never had banks look at my tax returns. I don't see any downside to claiming depreciation.

3. Marty McDonald

Marty McDonald Mortgage broker Business Member

Yes depreciation and one off costs etc can be added back to the profit figures when assessing a self employed persons financial position. However if you run a trucking business for example then adding back depreciation on the trucks may be a stretch as the trucks will need to be replaced continually.

For investors it doesn't really come into it as they aren't looking at the property section of your tax returns generally even if self employed they will strip this out and go off 80% of rental income from managing agents statements etc.

Wall Street likes this.
  4. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

In theory the banks would add back the depreciation if they're assessing on your tax returns. Most do, but it doesn't always work out that way.

For most people, depreciation doesn't affect their serviceability at all.

Wall Street likes this.
  5. Wall Street

Brilliant! Yes I was thinking more in terms of property depreciation, rather than going concern depreciation (eg trucks, machinery).

One less thing to worry about as I work on trying to strengthen my serviceability!

6. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Unless of course you are treated as self employed or are self employed and you go to Worstpac for a loan.......

they see a paper/capital dedn as coming off your cashflow, rather than improving your real bottom line, and then encourage you to believe that all accountants and other bankers have it wrong and they arent being as "responsible".

ta
    rolf

Wall Street likes this.
  7. Wall Street

Hah I know that the bank is wrong there. My wife is a CPA and she's ALWAYS right!

8. Mick C

Mick C Well-Known Member

Dep has no effect.

In fact for self employed Dep on business tax returns will be "Added back" as income

9. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Yep, had that conversation with Worstpac yesterday, made a motza last year paid cash for a house yielding 8%, bought $65,000 dollars of shares in superfund, including bellamys which are up 600%, claimed over 100k in depreciation and now they want to reduce my loan because in their book my income is too low after accounting for a non recurring lease payment on an asset that will be worth more than the lease liability. WTF ! Had no problem with BoM maintaining loan limit after selling a security

10. Wall Street

These are the sorts of crazy situations that I'm just trying to get my head around/prevent from occurring!