Does canopy rangehood improve rent?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by evalord, 20th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. evalord

evalord Well-Known Member

As per title, do tentants care about rangehood in rentals? I have an old westinghouse recirculating one that does bugger all. Never had a problem until someone renting a room here likes to cook slightly charred steak.

The smoke alarm goes off sometimes and the house smells for a while. I'm getting $160/week rent plus shared utilities. Is it worth buying a decent rangehood (1000m^3/h suction)? Hardly any rentals in my area have canopy rangehood. Is the investment going to pay off in the future if i rent out the whole house? Paddington, QLD area

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

It may not get better rent but a properly functioning range hood will remove airborne grease which will leads to build-ups in the kitchen and surrounding rooms which require more frequent painting/cleaning.

The Y-man likes this.
  3. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

That's likely the problem, put a snorkel on it.
    If you haven't got the addaptor, basic rangehoods are ~$100 with addaptor

4. evalord

Any idea how much installation cost is?

5. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Agree with Scott. It won't get you a higher rent but it will help in maintaining your property.

Check out Appliances Online

I'm buying lots of kitchen stuff at the moment (oven, cook top, rangehood, dishwasher, etc) and these guys are very competitive on price.

Cheers

Jamie

6. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I had a canopy rangehood that was recirculating (no idea what the previous owner was thinking)
    Now I've got a canopy rangehood that ducts out.

Cooking steaks stink up the house regardless, the ducted canopy makes it a bit better, but the solution is better cross ventilation.

Short of renovating, my solution has been to cook my steaks outside.

If you're renting out a room, my solution would be have a cheapy gas BBQ or outdoor Gas stove for the purpose of cooking smelly foods.

7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I haven't been to your place ;)

8. evalord

There's plenty of cross ventilation except the air flows between kitchen windows to 2 bedrooms and bathroom, hard to explain but it does. So you think the rangehood wouldn't help much is this case?

9. neK

neK Well-Known Member

@evalord In my experience, its about unobstructed cross ventilation.

I do NOT have cross ventilation in my open kitchen / living space. But i do have a sliding door that opens up a whole 2m + a ducted canopy rangehood

House still smells every time i cook. If i open my front door, the air flows down a long hall way and then out to the rear kitchen / living areas, it does help a little.

My in laws have a 90cm opening sliding door + 90cm window that are perpendicular to each other. and also a ducted rangehood. This setup has way less smells than mine.

My IP has an open kitchen/living setup too. But it has two windows directly opposite each other (they are 10m apart). When fully open, the windows are 90cm x 60cm. This place DOES NOT smell AND it has a crappy recirculate rangehood.

Like I said, your best option is to get a Gas BBQ with a Stove option and make them cook outside and close the balcony door behind them.

Because I use my pans, I have one of these 19MJ Lux Portable Gas Stove Wok Burner LPG Cook top safety strongest for indoor | eBay hooked up to a 9kg tank.

I do cook inside, but for the foods i know smell (eg steak), i'll cook outside.

10. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

IMO it's always a good idea to also have a ceiling extraction fan in the kitchen as well.
    This way hopefully anything that goes above the rangehood height, I.e burnt toast, gets extracted before hitting the smoke detector.

11. evalord

Would it be a dick move if I asked him to cook the steak outside? Assuming I pay for the stove and gas...?:confused: