Does becoming a guarantor affect your borrowing limit?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by kennyboi, 21st Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kennyboi

kennyboi Well-Known Member

Hi,

If I become a guarantor for a relative's loan, does becoming a guarantor affects my own lending capacity for my own loans?

Would becoming a guarantor shows up on my credit report?

Thanks

2. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

3. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Yes and yes. For the guarantee amount. Usuaully about 25% of the kids purchase price.

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Objectively,............... as a % how many security guarantees to kiddies go bad ?

We use these a bunch, and do a pretty thorough vet on both parties and run the guarantor through the exit strategies and the obvious risks, and ensure they have an understanding that their home may be at risk of X, happens and Y doesnt.

We always recommend legal advice around the guarantee, spousal separation and other financial planning issues such as estate planning.

There are lower risk, but more fiddly ways of achieving similar.

ta
    rolf

Scott No Mates likes this.
  5. Adelaide

Adelaide Well-Known Member

Yes.. cause you have to declare what the loan is and repayments are.
    If the property needs to be sold for less than the loan, you pay the difference.

Seen lots of probs in wa with relationship splits and parents having to come up with cash to pay out the remaing loan.

Yes should show up on your credit report.

6. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I would say no.

A security guarantee means you are not liable for the payments of the loan directly. Your property has been mortgaged as security for someone else's loan.

Ethan Timor and Brady like this.
  7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Agreed. The fact that quite a few lenders do not require guarantors to demonstrate serviceability of the guarantee portion supports the premise that the guarantor doesn't actually have to pay back the guarantee in the event of a problem.

Brady and Terry_w like this.
  8. Loverenting

Loverenting Well-Known Member

Goverment new policies now impose much higher financial requirements on the guarantors of new migrants to Australia. Will this have similar impact as other forms of being a guarantor do?

9. Peter_Tersteeg

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of higher financial requirements? For lending purposes, if you have permanent residency or citizenship, new immigrants enjoy the same requirements as everyone else.

If you are not a permanent resident or citizen, then it is extremely difficult to get finance and if a guarantor needed to be involved, it's probably almost impossible.

10. Loverenting

The requirements are for Australian permanent residents (PR) or citizens wishing to be a guarantor for a new PR visa applicant. For example, I am being asked by a friend to become a co-guarantor for their overseas parents visa application since they can't meet the requirement (income threshold) in their own right.

11. Peter_Tersteeg

I think we're talking about quite different things. Guarantors for finance and qualifying for permanent residency are completely different topics. :D

12. Loverenting

Yes, hence my question :)

13. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I don’t know first hand, but I’d be surprised if being a migrant guarantor impacted lending capacity.

It doesn’t show up on the credit report and it’s not asked about in the lenders application, so lenders wouldn’t know to include it. And then they would need to form a committee and decide if they do need to include it in their calculator.

Loverenting likes this.
  14. Loverenting

Basically, in assessing whether the guarantor meets the income threshold requirement the visa applicant is viewed as an additional dependant (or even more than that). The process is carried out by the Department of Human Services via Centrelink.