Does Australia need USA?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 24th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2. PropDir

PropDir Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi MTR - good question, yes I think we do, not just economically but security wise too.
    For example, a nearby country in asia-pac would think twice before making threats or invading us. It's highly unlikely anyone would, but it provides AU with some type of security blanket not to 'mess with us'. I am sure there are other benefits too.

Regarding economics, I didn't know we exported much to USA?

If AU needed money (or support/resources) urgently due to some type of crisis, do you think USA would be there for us?

kierank and MTR like this.
  3. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

That is the common reason cited for why we need the USA. But it is very debatable. I don't even think you will have large scale war now with nuclear weapons. Wars are going to be regionalised with small country being the target. I don't really think that argument really holds anymore.

4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Absolutely. I’d choose being poorer but alive any day over being dead.

SMTY and qak like this.
  5. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Security is just a perception thing. People think they are more “safe” with America but all that happens is they play in a world where rules are set by America. Regardless of which country takes hegemony in the future, Aus just plays in a game where the rules are set by someone else - be it US or China or somewhere else. That you would prefer one hegemony over another just reflects what people are accustomed to that’s all.

6. PropDir

This is true, however key point is that USA is still perceived as probably the most powerful country in the world (along with China and Russia) - so the fact that USA and Australia are allies gives AU some sense of security.

The whole gun culture in America would make it less safe to live in compared to AU of course. It's so easy for crazies to get hold of guns there.

7. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Pompeo warns US may stop sharing intelligence with Australia over Victoria inking China's Belt and Road Initiative

OBEY OR DIE!

8. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    While we refuse to invest appropriately in nation building water storage and high speed rail and multi lane interstate road infrastructure that would allow us to grow a much bigger population and economy and military , and while we refuse to develop nuclear Power and weapons - we require a big brother . It’s that simple .
    We are a very large land mass without borders, with vast natural resources and a tiny military . If China decided they wanted to take us one day, they’d roll us in a week or two. And you can be sure that if China did roll us , they’d have the water and rail and roads that we won’t build , done within a decade of sailing into Sydney Harbour , and they’d turn the place into their quarry and food bowl quick smart , and a dozen cities the size of Sydney would be built

so yes , obviously .

Anthony416, craigc, Toon and 8 others like this.
  9. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I think so.
    I don’t disagree with the comments regarding war but I also think the fact we are allies stands for a hell of a lot in terms of how we are perceived.

Let me ask another question.
    If USA and China were not in a hostile position right now do you think China would be hostile towards us?
    I would say almost certainly not! So whilst in the scenario are alliance is actually a bad thing for trade, it could just as easy be in reverse. By that I mean if China and USA had a good relationship and we had angered China someway then perhaps they would be not so quick to act against us.

10. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

Yeah and who will start a war with us that US will be able to protect us. If that country has a nuclear weapon, I question whether US would really get involved.

Another way to protect yourself is being neutral like Switzerland. I think that is a much better strategy honestly

11. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

I'm not sure myself. If China hit Darwin with a couple of long range missiles, would America automatically retaliate and start WW3 which would destroy the world as we know it.
    Just saying, don't think China would do that...

12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

13. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Toon, chindonly, Blueskies and 2 others like this.
  14. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

The remarks made by Pompeo were later clarified by the US embassy as being hypothetical in nature. This was nothing but headline grabbing in my opinion.

Not exactly a fan of the BRI myself but it would be great if all we stuck to the facts.

US backs down from Pompeo's Belt and Road remarks

A Victorian government spokeswoman said the Belt and Road Initiative was about creating opportunities for Victorian businesses and local jobs.

“Telecommunications regulation is the responsibility of the Commonwealth government,” she said. “Victoria has not, and will not in the future, agree to telecommunications projects under the BRI."

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Stick to the facts? Who do we believe? Is it all fake news? Is the information you have provided fact or fake??

16. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

My 'stick to the facts' comment was directed at Pompeo and the PM. You only posted a link to an article so it wouldn't make sense for me to direct that at you. Apologies if I've offended you.

MTR likes this.
  17. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

The US need us as much as we need them. Very important geo-strategic relationship. Pine gap is also crucial to their interests including early warning ballistic missile detection and signals intel among other things. Their nuclear deterrent would be diminished without it.

Pompeo's comments are absurd, as evidenced by the US embassy moving quickly to hose them down.

18. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

US is far from perfect, but I would take their rules any day of the week over those of China.

Silverson, Anthony416, craigc and 4 others like this.
  19. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Well that's my point - it's because people in the west (naturally) are accustomed to a particular set of rules/way the world works.

20. PropDir

Hi Euro73 - do you think there are benefits for us to grow a bigger population by constructing infrastructure/roads etc in our unused land masses particularly areas inland away from coast areas? We would become more like USA. What are the impacts of doing this - and yes that's right, China would certainly seize the opportunity if they took us over.