Does Australia Need China??

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 22nd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ttn

ttn Well-Known Member

If you know a bit of China history they are no longer soft like in the past when they were invaded by Mongolian or the British or by recent Japanese 70 years ago

The USA might look down on them back in the 1970s when they first started a relationship because of the cold war with the USSR but now they are a different beast

They have nuclear war heads, missiles, carriers, subs, tanks and etc ... so they can take on anyone if needed

How long did it take them to build military airports on reefs in the sea that have other countries disputed and claimed in South East Asia? Which country is going to take or invade that? ;)

How long does it take to build Sydney second airport? I'm still counting 30+ years :D

Scomo is too good ... he knows when to talk and when to keep quiet :) about China

Cousinit and iloveqld like this.
  2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Only 30 years:p omg

3. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

4. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Well I grew up here so my case is kind of irrelevant. Also comparing China today vs China back then.

5. Omnidragon

In the time we've tried to build NBN, which is barely faster for many housesholds (certainly not for me in metro Melb), China has linked its country up on high speed rail.

6. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

And all governments always have reasons why that happened :D

They can offer billion of Job Keeper if required, but using a fund to build airport or high speed train to fight for votes for years....

Australia is the country still having train drivers, still be proud with ADSL. Maybe a good sight is we are caring about global warming and sustainable environment, which is good. But not enough about sustainable infrastructure, which need to be improved. Anyways, I still love living here :D

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Cool. Sorry, I have no idea of your age and when you attended University. But are you able to tell us why modern Chinese students would want come to Australia when, as you say, many prefer to live in China than here?

sumterrence likes this.
  8. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

Taking all the race, human rights, bullying comments away from this discussion. No country is perfect. Let’s not do a comparison because we know how horrible the USA has been to blacks, Indians, Mexicans, Muslims etc etc and how horrible we’ve been to aboriginals, white Australia policy...

We live in a global world and we need people to buy our goods and vice versa. We can’t be selective with who we engage with based on history because it will never end. Tic for tat will go on forever. At the end of the day if something is cheaper and at the same time well made, I will buy regardless of where it came from because I am paying my own money for it. We need to be realistic on how we can create jobs for Australians, because this is what every government around the world is thinking about and driving their decisions. If we can create 1 worthy job because of China, then that is 1 Australian getting paid and putting food on the table. If we lose 1 job because of China, then that is 1 job an Australian loses. So if we deal with China it needs to benefit Australia. I would just want to remind everyone China has 1.4 billion people and counting and if we are smart about it then let’s sell to China and make money from their pockets. We need to be strategic and smart with what we do and how we do it. Let’s push the Chinese government to allow Australia to do business directly with the Chinese people and this will benefit the country greatly.

Gen-Y, spoon and Cousinit like this.
  9. Omnidragon

There's a bunch of reasons from what I can see.

Perhaps the first thing to realise is that China is a very big country. Even a country as small as Australia has no shortage of people who want to live in China (look at Michelle Garnaut or Geoff Raby for example).

So of course, with 1.4 billion people in China, there'll always be Chinese who want to come to Australia (or any other country) to study. It doesn't take a lot of Chinese students to come for people to mistake that 'lots of people' want to come - a mere 100,000 will flood the unis in one city here. And from there it's very easy to be lulled into thinking that, perhaps with the exception of a few notable universities, the tertiary education standards here must be very high or, better still, the Chinese really value freedom of speech. I'm an Australian who grew up here, and wanted to do some time in my tertiary education in China. Does that mean I think the Chinese have a superior system?

Other factors include, frankly, some of the top unis in China are very very hard to get into compared to doing a foundation course at say Trinity and being slungshot into Melbourne University (the highest ranking Aus uni). Lastly, some of the Aust institutions are living on a legacy also - the British Empire and successive American-led world orders - so there's still a degree of prestige to studying in these countries, but that prestige is also slowly being eroded from what I can see

Last edited: 26th Jun, 2020
    Gen-Y, Iamnumber5 and George Smiley like this.
  10. Omnidragon

Oh don't get me wrong - as I said it's horses for courses. There's lots of reasons why it's great to live or study here. Equally same as living or studying (yes I did exchange there for tertiary briefly) in China. People shouldn't feel offended that not everyone wants to live in their country, which I think is where some of the discomfort is reading between the lines.

11. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

12. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

I'd have thought most are given the population size and culture of the country. The Gaokao, the national college exam, must be pure hell to prepare for and perhaps only matched in terms of intensity by its South Korean equivalent.

13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thank you both for your responses to my query. I had always thought Chinese education would have been more prestigious to Australian, but it is not generally mentioned here. In fact we Anglo plebs are led to believe that we are the privileged nation, when I have often thought China and other Asian nations are amazing in their own right.

Property Baron and Tom Rivera like this.
  14. iloveqld

iloveqld Well-Known Member

Grass is greener on the other side of the hill :D

15. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

17. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member

Not even slowly. We've turned from a nation where you had to earn a higher education to a nation where you have to buy it..

18. Omnidragon

Oh that's very true, but according to the Sydney University, 25-40% of a university's funding (including all the research, professor's salaries, facilities etc) are funded by international students. In an ideal world, we would undertake world-class research without relying on money. But we all know it doesn't work that way, because the smartest guys and best research programs will just go to countries/institutions that have the money.

How universities came to rely on international students

19. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

I can tell you some of the top unis in China are super hard to get in for study.
    Unlike Australian unis - you just need $$$ and you can buy your way in.
    You asked why so many Chinese students come here for uni. The illusion of getting a permanent residence is attractive. You get easier entrance score to UNI, just pay and you are IN.
    Speaking with many of Chinese students that cheat the system because they can.

For someone who have travel to China for business and have dealing with them. Their economy is way more advance than Sydney. We benefit way more if you get to sell to them. It is a pure numbers game.

spoon likes this.
  20. Omnidragon

I read an article in AFR today that suggested Sydney can steal Hong Kong’s position as the financial centre in Asia.

The reason HK is a financial centre is because it’s a gateway to many parts of Asia geographically, especially China. Not to mention the tax. Why would any non-Aus company set up in Sydney to trade with Asia which is 8-10 hours away by flight... I seriously don’t know if this is a feel good article for domestic audience or what.

Why Sydney is the new Hong Kong

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.