Does Australia Need China??

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 22nd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Lol I can’t believe ScoMo comment yesterday. It was better to say nothing at all. Just offloaded TWE today, it’s a good time to.

I guess it is true, wheel of life always turns. We got rich, arrogant and ignorant. I’m not surprised in the future we are the ones who have to sew their clothes, work in factories, get bred out or may be extinct with pride

2. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Only if we can rival the speed and precision of their robots.

3. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

In all honest, the only thing that China needs from Australia is iron ore and that is also changing. They are exploring alternative market......Food can clearly be obtained from multiple countries. They are importing barley from Canada now.

They are our biggest and best trading partner, there is absolutely no need for Morrison to act the way he acted. It is not like he criticise every single action that is not align to our values and its not even like our own human right tract record is that amazing. And if we only do trades with countries that have the same values we might as well stoping exporting (there are 4.5% of countries in the world that are democracy. And its not like we don't trade with other countries who have bad human rights record.

To single China out like this is pretty bad diplomatic actions tbh and really not good for Australia

Gen-Y, MTR and spoon like this.
  4. kum yin lau

kum yin lau Well-Known Member

Hi, I'd been fascinated with the discussions but avoided saying anything because I'm Chinese.
    I have never been to China in my 67 years on this earth and I'd always been rather anti-China.
    However, I had this thought.

How smart was Morrison to be seen allying himself to Donald Trump? Seriously, if Donald Duck ran for president, the duck would win.

So, if USA bought Aus barley, would you take US junk bonds for payment?
    The crux of the matter:
    1) US of A is in deep ### Donald Trump backed out of WHO commitment with the excuse, we don't like the way you handle the crisis. That is crap. He backed out because he had no money to pay.
    2) Morrison applied Aus values to China. Let's have a coronial inquiry!! Hope I got the spelling right. That is Aus 's answer to most issues.

I've been resident in Aus for twenty years, and there had been inquiry after inquiry after inquiry. I have yet to see one that ever achieved anything except waste a lot of time and money.

At the time he made that speech, we all joked, so what if he could prove that the virus came from China? Can we prove that gunpowder came from China? So should all the firearms then be returned to China?

that was what Trump was angling for. If he can prove that or allege that, then he could renege on the debt!!

So Morrison fell for it and Aus is paying the price.

Sorry for this very long post

5. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Donald Trump just asked GSA to prepare for Biden presidency. Calmer water ahead...

6. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

Did anybody see the 7:30 report tonight on China and exports? I need to know where I can buy cheap lobsters because they r not being sent to China now...??? Where where

Gen-Y and The Y-man like this.
  7. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

China is not singled out same standard apply for every country.. So what China were importing barley from Canada before and Canola too but they are not importing Canadian Canola now. Cherry picking to suit you bias. What is the specifications of the Canadian Barley ? The same as Australian stock feed specifications. Why do they buy high protein barley ? Do they not need the higher enzyme producing barley because they need it to blend with the inferior rice and corn brewers have to use to produce acceptable quality, because brewers dont have enough low protein malting barley. It shows how desperate China is and how silly their childish games are as they have been blackmailing Canada too by rejecting Canadian canola. Australia is still selling barley, market never collapsed, less Canadian barley into Middle east more Australian barley, Farmers who switched to pulses or Canola made a killing gettting av barley yeilds but 3x the returns. $700 a tonne for lentils V $240 for barley,. means booming regional economy and property prices. Chinese brewers were still using Australian barley so the CCP food inspectors made up BS about weed contamination just like they did with Canadian Canola.

Last edited: 26th Nov, 2020
  8. Duck1234

How is China not singled out? Please point me either to DFA’s statement or endless news reports on Myanmar’s recent human rights problems?

9. Duck1234

FYI China is also replacing Australian wine with wine from the US. I am not even cherry-picking. Every Australian product China has found a replacement. Iron ore is the only exception for now

10. Duck1234

And sure China is silly and let’s see if we can find a market right now to replace China

11. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

China ruled Australia dumping wines. TWE -11.25% as of now and in trading halt. Glad I got out.

They are paying premium for our bunch of sour grapes. Why mess it up?? Ignorance is painful...

Last edited: 27th Nov, 2020
    Someguy likes this.
  12. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Interesting timeline provided by SCMP China slaps ‘distressing’ duties of up to 212 per cent on Australian wine

A very tit for tat trade relationship.

13 Feb,
    The Australian Dumping Commission assesses a possible continuation of dumping duties on Chinese aluminum extrusions

17 Feb,
    The commission initiates anti-dumping investigation against China, looking at the sales of aluminium micro-extrusions, which are used for domestic window flyscreens and television aerials, made by Chinese companies Guangdong Jiangshen Aluminium and Guangdong Zhongya Aluminium

28 Feb,
    Australian concludes, following a review, it will continue to impose anti-dumping duties on Chinese deep drawn stainless steel sinks

31 Mar,
    Australia initiates anti-dumping investigation into cheap precision pipe and tube steel from China, South Korea, Taiwan and Vietnam

16 Apr,
    The commission initiates another anti-dumping investigation into A4 copy paper exported by China, Brazil, Indonesia and Thailand

21 Apr,
    Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison discusses a probe into the origins of the coronavirus with world leaders, including US President Donald Trump, German Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron

11 May,
    China bans imports from four major Australian meat processing plants

13 May,
    Australian Dumping Commission concludes, following a review, it will continue to impose anti-dumping duties on Chinese silicon metal

18 May,
    China confirms 80.5% tariff on Australian barley exports following the conclusion of its anti-dumping investigations

27 May,
    Australian initiates an anti-dumping investigation into painted steel strapping from China and Vietnam

30 Jun,
    Anti-dumping investigation widens to include aluminium zinc coated steel from China and Vietnam

10 Jul,
    Dumping commission assesses possible continuation of duties on Chinese steel reinforcing bars

13 Jul,
    Australia initiates an anti-dumping investigation into copper tubes from China and South Korea

27 Jul,
    Australia Dumping Commission assesses possible continuation of dumping duties on Chinese hot-rolled rods in coils of steel

18 Aug,
    China’s Ministry of Commerce confirms it has started an anti-dumping investigation into Australian wine imports following a complaint from the China Alcoholic Drinks Association

25 Aug,
    China Mengniu Dairy confirms it will not acquire Japanese drinks company Kirin Holding’s Australia-based asset Lion Dairy & Drinks after failing to get approval from the Australian government

31 Aug,
    China announces a countervailing investigation into subsidised Australian wine imports

31 Aug,
    China halts barley imports from Australia’s CBH Grain, the country’s biggest grain shipping company, because harmful weeds were found in the cargoes

12 Oct,
    China verbally bans Australian thermal and coking coal imports

16 Oct,
    China “discouraging” its spinning mills from using Australian cotton

30 Oct,
    China customs bans imports of log timber from Queensland and grain imports from Emerald Grain, while it also delays imports of Australian lobster

6 Nov,
    Australian coal, barley, log timber, lobster, wine, copper, sugar faces blocks at Chinese ports due to verbal bans

11 Nov,
    China customs bans imports of log timber from Victoria

11 Nov,
    China's assistant minister of commerce, Li Chenggang, says that Canberra knows “what it needs to do to improve this relationship”

12 Nov,
    Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin says Australia’s excessive public criticisms of political issues in Xinjiang, Taiwan and Hong Kong, and its constant slander of China without evidence, has “poisoned” the relationship

15 Nov,
    China and Australia join 13 other nations in signing the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) agreement

17 Nov,
    China foreign ministry spokesman Zhao Lijian says China bears “no responsibility” for the collapse in bilateral ties

18 Nov,
    Australian trade minister Simon Birmingham says Canberra has reached out to Beijing at "every possible level"

19 Nov,
    Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison tells business community Australia will not compromise its core interests in escalating trade row with China

23 Nov,
    Australia Prime Minister Scott Morrison says Beijing misunderstood Canberra’s actions in terms of its relationship with the US in that it had not sought to deliberately attack China

27 Nov,
    China’s commerce ministry says it will impose temporary anti-dumping measures ranging from 107.1 per cent to 212.1 per cent on Australian wine imports

Danieljk101 likes this.
  13. kum yin lau

kum yin lau Well-Known Member

I'm quite surprised they took so long over the wine imports. When Morrison made that speech, and the news came about Aus beef exports, we immediately thought wine and international students.

I didn't think of barley though. Didn't know it was important.

KY

14. Blueshoes99

Blueshoes99 Well-Known Member

Well, if Australia goes to the WTO then China will go to the WTO on Huawei... I don’t think Australia has thought about this..

think about this- China didn’t even go to the WTO about the trade war with America... get it people?

15. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Wow words in the streets here today in Indonesia, China state enterprises (power companies) are ordering huge quantities of steam coal. Contract worth more than 1 b.

They are planning to stop import from Australia completely...

16. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Meh. Who cares. Good businesses will find another markets. Bad businesses will shut down.

China is like a splash in a bucket, water will get cloudy, but will settle. The beauty of a strong innovative open economies is that they always, always find opportunities from any issues.

We have created a few unicorns during COVID. Some of our companies are leaders in many fields.

At the end of the day, losers will be the Chinese consumers and taxpayers.

Price of coal in China now is 63% higher than before the ban started. Let’s see how long they will last paying extra for inferior product. Load up with more dept for the state / provincially owned corporations.

17. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

If anything it’s a great thing. Teaches Australians not to have all their eggs in one basket. I know of a country in east Europe which became more and more economically dependent on a local superpower. Ended up losing a chunk of its land.

Diversify.

TadhgMor, qak and Stoffo like this.
  18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I think there are too many problematic posts creeping in now - I consider this thread to have run its course. Closing.

Mulianto likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.