Does Australia Need China??

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by MTR, 22nd May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Piston_Broke

Piston_Broke Well-Known Member

The Chinese gov treats Australia as a pet.
    They will always complain about any regulation yet they rule as per the book 1984.
    We can't buy over there, yet they can buy here.
    Nah, Australia treats China as the fairly free democratic monarchy nation we are, and China treats us like a pet donkey that's fed in exchange for working.

Serveman, Jello_B, marty998 and 4 others like this.
  2. BunnyXiao

BunnyXiao Well-Known Member

3. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

Carriers from US, Japan, UK and other naval ships in the South China Sea are to keep the freedom of navigation through these waters. If there is no freedom of navigation through these waters, will Australia need permission or pay tolls to deliver products to South Korea, Japan or Taiwan?

Look at a map of the conflicting claims over waters in the South China Sea and see who is the aggressor.

map of conflicting territorial claims in the south china sea - Google Search

willair likes this.
  4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Apparently we need them so badly we will censor teaching material. No talking about events that did not take place here like the 89 Tiananmen Square protests here!!:

A Sydney university has recommended staff self-censor teaching material to keep students in China enrolled during the pandemic.

The University of Technology Sydney (UTS) conducted a working group in February to discuss how to keep Chinese international students enrolled by teaching them online.

An internal university memo obtained by the ABC highlighted concerns the Chinese Government may "turn off" all communication from the university over any teaching material that may be seen as politically sensitive.

The university's working group recommended teaching material avoid any mention of topics which may be politically inaccurate, citing territories of China as one example.

UTS said there have been no issues with teaching students online so far.
    ABC.net.au

The Y-man

Serveman, craigc and trinity168 like this.
  5. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

China doesn’t treat itself as a free market economy, so why should we? They still want the “developing nation” tag to get a preferential deal.

And you give way too much credit to News Limited. If there are “massive impacts” and China’s feelings are hurt by the local rags here spewing nonsense then it goes to prove how dangerous they are.

We shouldn’t try and be slightly more wealthy than we already are at the cost of our free society. I’m ok with GDP being a smidgen smaller than theoretically otherwise.

You want to know what is ludicrous/unfair? China arbitrarily detaining an Australian Citizen journalist as a threat to national security over a couple of Facebook posts.

trinity168 likes this.
  6. Property Baron

Property Baron Well-Known Member

Fair enough - you obviously know more about the journalist that is being held than I do and as you quote ludicrous, than I gather she is totally innocent and hasn't violated any dictatorships laws. I'm sure you are 100% correct and it is all over a couple of friendly Facebook posts.

Well seems most seem to take you view on China unfortunately but it is what it is. I just have my opinion and I think they are a great partner to trade with. I wonder if they will start to kick out all the Australian businesses that are run out of there in there factories because of the cheap labour and huge profits that are able to be made by doing so.

If it wasn't for this BS virus than everything would still be good for both them and us. I definitely think it's to early to cut our ties with them but if that's what we want and it seems that way than that is what we will get.

MTR likes this.
  7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Just got reminded that within our property portfolio, there are 2 major shopping centres - Emporium Melb and Chadstone - that we rely very heavily on the young Chinese genuine luxury item buying tours (VCX runs shuttle buses between the two to ferry them around, as well as having the Accor Hotel Chadstone connected to the shopping complex).

VCX will need to realign and adjust strategies if that market falls away

The Y-man

8. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

9. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

no one "needs" anyone, but its just what you can live with and without,

Australia needs China more than China needs Australia, that is the truth,

question is how much you like Chinese money and can you live without it. ?

if the world event takes a nasty turn, do Australia wants to be on the wrong side of history or you hedge your best and try to be on the right side every time.

In the end its really just money,

at the moment, I don't think Australia can.

10. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

https://7news.com.au/politics/federal-politics/china-urges-australia-to-help-mend-ties-c-1607401

Seems the relationship is worsening each week.

Will be interesting to see how things will change with Biden taking the helm in USA. Trump has be publicly critical of China but in reality he has started many trade deals with China that have been to Australia detriment.

Will also be interesting if Biden has a different view on Kashmir and human rights abuse there. If he changes americas stance will we follow and fall out of favour with India as well.

11. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Not so true.

We have lived without Chinese trade in a major way for many years and thrived as a country.

We will over time find other trading partners. Although we should not sell our soul and freedoms in order to keep a partner happy. Its bad in any relationship .

We provide China with clean food . Iron ore Coal Uranium and so on.

Over time we will create stronger ties with India, Indonesia and other partners.

We need China in a huge manor they need us and relationship needs to be healthy .Not one of bullying.

I would say the same if this was Europe or USA pressuring us as well.

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2020
    sqe, craigc and MTR like this.
  12. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Yes back then in the 70s-80s, China was poor and they were accounted for less than 5% of our export. We thrived without them.

Now 40% of our export goes to China, it is a big deal! Waiting for India and Indonesia to catch up with Chinese demand will take at least a decade or two.

Our country has big resources, way more than we need and we are really good at cultivating these resources. It only makes sense for us to keep trading and we will get better living standard in return, strengthen our military etc.

I saw the requests of the Chinese, I think most of them are easy to deal with. May be only one which is banning Huawei, this could be serious breach of our security and we should stand firm. The others, why should we become the spearhead in criticizing human rights abuses, blaming virus, stop belt and road initiative (this sadly, mostly benefits Australia)?

I’m not sure backing out from these will be selling our souls. After all we have small population, we have to smarten up. Take a small step back to move two steps forward.

Someguy likes this.
  13. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

We haven't sold our souls but we've sold our farms, land etc.

MTR likes this.
  14. Mulianto

Mulianto ~~

Then use the money to buy their big cities, charge them the exorbitant rent ;)

15. Duck1234

Duck1234 Well-Known Member

Tbh, some of their requests are pretty reasonable. If you are being fair, Australia's recent action is a bit insensitive and obtuse. I am sure we were acting under instructions from Trump and now that he is gone, lets see if we make some effort to amend the relationship.

Mulianto likes this.
  16. Duck1234

Tbh what Scott Morrison has done is pretty insensitive, if you have a restaurant and treat your customers like ****, why would they come back? Even if you are the only restaurant in town. I know I would rather make my own meal and have nothing to do with you

17. Duck1234

Without China, Australia would not have gone through the 2008 recession. If Australia and China stop dealing with each other for the next 20 years, Australia will have much much more to lose. Our recession may actually become a depression.

18. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

India has a record no better than China when it comes to human rights, would this not also be selling our soul?

Everything you need to know about human rights in India

19. Illusivedreams

My comments didn't relate to human rights rather than giving into China's demands.
    They say jump we say how high.

Melbourne_guy likes this.
  20. Illusivedreams

Although i agree Chinas growth has been great for us.

I remind you it s a two way street.

China benefited from an amazing supply resource partner.

We provide resources on time as promised with little political uncertainty.

We are one of chains largest Iron suppliers which is the fuel for their factory machine.

We provide food and energy in a reliable competitive and stable manner.

Also being geographically close are able to respond to demand near immediately.

So stop selling us short. We benefited and derived and income but provided goods and services as well both of which are world class.

'I have been working with china for 18 years and fly regularly so understand the dynamics well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.