Does artificial grass impact the value of a property?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by ardle, 6th Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ardle

ardle Member

I recently found a property that I might purchase as a PPOR. Location wise, it’s in a nice area - low crime, good neighbourhood, etc. It looks like the property has been recently renovated and they’ve put an artificial grass on the front lawn. Does this devalue the property as compared to having a real grass?

2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Personally, I find it disgusting and I know I'm pretty mainstream so, though others may or may not say anything, plenty of others would be massively turned off too.
    A tenant decided to put some down in my Melbourne property along with a few other 'renovations' which I believe made it tacky and brought the value down.
    For a tenant, I imagine some just wouldn't go there. Others would.
    In other words, it certainly wouldn't Add value.
    Despite all this, it's easy enough to rip it up, take that daggy plastic to the landfill (!) and put down some mulch and appropriate plants for the site or lawn.
    It's just another ugly renovation to undo.

Cousinit, wylie, samiam and 1 other person like this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As ugly as green concrete, and less practical.

The Y-man

wylie and Joynz like this.
  4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

And weeds end up taking root even in fake grass. And it’s hot underfoot. Grass is so much cooler (in both senses).

But some would see it as a positive thing - no mowing…

qak likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Depends on if it's cheap stuff or the good stuff. I've put it in IPs where there is only a small grassed area which would be a pain to own a mower for but I've gone for the thicker more natural looking stuff.

Is there grass in the back garden?

6. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

It would be ok for a large apartment block with a thin strip of common area where the grass won’t grow..

Cousinit likes this.
  7. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

It's great around the pool

8. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Oh geez, went to a home open last week and they had it in the backyard with a dog and a cat. When the agent asked what I thought of the house I told him I couldn’t stand the stink in the yard.

9. Harveys

Harveys Well-Known Member

Smells fantastic when pets **** on it.

10. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Personally I hate it. However, we put some in the backyard of an IP as it’s a smaller area next to the pool and it would be hard to maintain a lawn there. I like to keep vegetation in IPs to as little as possible due to maintenance issues and organic matter is #1 enemy of a house if not regularly maintained (blocked drains, plant overgrowth, roots damage, excess moisture and water retention).

For a PPOR, I wouldn’t want artificial grass but you can rip it out and put in a new lawn for not a lot of money.

11. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

For a small area. Best is well maintained, weed free, green freshly mowed lawn. Second best good quality artificial lawn looks better than poorly maintained or dead lawn.

Sackie likes this.
  12. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

If my daughter had it, it would probably increase the price of the property

13. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I think it's ok to use in small areas and areas which don't get a lot of sun and turn into muddy areas

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Depends entirely on the location - neighbours have an awkward flat strip in their front yard, between the fence and garden. Personally I would've gardened it, but they wanted to keep it free to the kids to play on if they're sitting out the front (afternoon shade). Looks good.

We've also got it at our holiday accommodation backing onto a manicured golf course, so again it looks good and easy to maintain - just gotta keep on top of any weeds that pop up.

As long as it's the quality stuff, in the right location, laid properly and well maintained then I don't have an issue with it ...

shorty likes this.